PDA

View Full Version : Making .38 special shotshells?

Mauser48
07-18-2016, 12:48 AM
I'm going on a hunting trip this weekend and I want to bring my 357 for snake protection. I have 22lr snakeshot but I feel like a .38 would be way better. I have 700x powder and #8 shot. I'm looking to do this with stuff at the house. I don't want to go get those speer capsules. Any suggestions?

SWANEEDB
07-18-2016, 12:52 AM
Have any gas checks?, one over powder, crimp one over shot, work well for those creepy crawers, #9 or 10 is good to go.

Mauser48
07-18-2016, 12:56 AM
Unfortunately no. I was thinking maybe 2 grains of 700x, a paper card, Shot up close to the top, another paper card, then some type of glue. Is this unreasonable?

woodsie57
07-18-2016, 05:36 AM
I've done it just about the way you're describing, used RedDot powder. Just make sure you use enough of a powder charge to get decent penetration

Sasquatch-1
07-18-2016, 06:16 AM
I don't know how it would work, but how about wrapping your shot in tissue paper that is used for gift wrapping. Personally, I think I would just buy a small box of preloaded shells if it's a one time thing.

Travelor
07-18-2016, 07:36 AM
Next time out, here is what I recommend.

Here is what works best as the shot does not touch the rifling in the barrel and you get much more shot in the cartridges. https://www.huntingtons.com/store/product.php?productid=17170

I use 2 grains of Bullseye and #12 shot. Heavier charges of powder tend to spread the shot out further. The #12 shot works out to be 102 grains. Number 12 shot is 1250/ounce compared to Number 9 shot being 568/ounce. This load works best in a 2 inch barrel as the longer barrels tend to spend the shot more, thus enlarging the pattern.

Here is a source for #12 shot http://www.midwayusa.com/product/814885/bpi-lead-shot-12-10-lb-bag LIFETIME SUPPLY

I have used this load/gun combination for years. Snakes do not writhe, as they do with #9 shot, but rather just go limp in place. It has never failed me - seems as if the #12 shot just penetrates and kills instantly!

Ed_Shot
07-18-2016, 09:13 AM
Heavy paper over-powder and over-shot cards work just fine for 38/357 shot loads. I use a W-mart paper plate and cut the wad on the end grain of a 2x4 block using a 38 or 9MM case (primer removed) as the punch (no need to sharpen). Use a piece of wire to poke the cut wads out of the case. Seat the over-powder wad with the blunt end of a pencil. Seat the over-shot wad so it's just inside the case mouth then crimp the case mouth and put a drop of Elmer's glue on top and spread it around the edge of the case mouth with a toothpick. While the paper over-powder wad definitely saves room for shot, I believe your shell will be much more durable if you use an inverted gas check for the over-shot wad; again using glue as a sealer. I got some Gator Checks to use with 44 Mag and 45 LC shot loads.

Your #8 shot will work fine. The squirrel in my avatar did not complain. I use Bullseye 2.5 gr. in 38 Spl and 3.0 gr for .357 cases. There is little expense in using the supplies you have. How many snakes do you expect to run into? A dozen shot rounds last me a long time. I think you'll find leading is very minimal and a non issue from the occasional use of a shot round to dispatch a varmint.

JSnover
07-18-2016, 11:20 AM
I've dribbled candle wax on top of the shot to hold it in but a card with some glue probably would have worked better.

Mauser48
07-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys good stuff here! Would playing cards be think enough for over powder and shot cards? If not I might have some paper plates. When I put the card over the powder do I just seat it so it stays on top of it? I'm guessing it would be bad t compress it?

sparky45
07-18-2016, 12:26 PM
What's your favorite box candy? I'm a Junior Mint fan. The cardboard box is what I use for my shotshells.

Scharfschuetze
07-18-2016, 12:29 PM
I've used 38 Special shot loads (41 and 45 ACP too) quite a bit while vermine hunting in the summer.

I'd definitely get the Speer shot capsules if you have time between now and your hunt. If not, I'd order them and use them the next time. As noted above, they well keep the shot from rubbing against the barrel and thus stop any leading from forming when using the shot loads.

Given the revolver's rifling imparting a spin to the shot cloud, patterns open up fairly fast so I use number 9 shot, but 8 shot works well in giving you the densest pattern possible. Some commercial shot loads use number 12 shot.

Mauser48
07-18-2016, 12:30 PM
I'm in luck I found paper plates. How does 2.0 grains of 700x sound?

Outpost75
07-18-2016, 12:46 PM
I'm in luck I found paper plates. How does 2.0 grains of 700x sound?

3 grains would be MUCH better!

jcren
07-18-2016, 01:10 PM
I just use foam meat trays for overpowder and primer boxes for over-shot. I set the bullet seater to lightly compress/seat the over-shot card and a light roll crimp locks the card in place. Wax or glue would give extra insurance.

bedbugbilly
07-18-2016, 01:16 PM
Just remember .. . . it is far better to "retreat" and fight another day than to charge a snake and not take it out on the first shot! :-)

Lot's of good tips. I've used aluminum gas checks and also thicker cardboard. You can take a spent casing, drill the primer hole out and insert a small threaded machine bolt. Chuck it in a drill press and use it like a rotating cutter to cut them out. If you put the screw in through the casing and use a nut to tighten down against the base, you can then unscrew the nut and use the screw to push them out.

I have also used the Speer shot cylinders but have found that the home made seem to work just as well.

SWANEEDB
07-18-2016, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately no. I was thinking maybe 2 grains of 700x, a paper card, Shot up close to the top, another paper card, then some type of glue. Is this unreasonable?

Sure, heavy roll crimp should do fine, may not need glue.

Mauser48
07-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Just made some cards. I cut the end off a 38 special case so it would fit in the drill then I sharpened it with a chamfering tool. Time to loaf now!

country gent
07-18-2016, 04:51 PM
Poster board, paper plates, a file folder, primer boxes milk carton tablet backs and covers all make good wads. I simply set the over primer wad with a dowel by hand, then dumpthe measured charge of shot into case, A simple dipper can be made and speeds thing up considerably.Hand set the over shot wad and a roll crimp with out the seating stem installed. then candle wax drbbled on seam, or a thick wood/paper glue around seal to seal and provide a little more resistance to aid ignition. I tried making tubes around a mandrel from tracing paper 2 wraps around mandrel end formed and paper glued over end ovf mandrel and cut to length needed. They did work and looked impressive. didnt seem to pattern a whole lot better though. One plus would be to use magnum brass or Max brass cut and sized to fit cylinder to just below face. This gives more room for shot and a heavier shot charge.

Mk42gunner
07-19-2016, 01:16 AM
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php%3F77286-Revolver-shot-loads-that-WORK!&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwj146Kc4f7NAhXh64MKHUZ_A6QQFggGMAE&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHucBAmrrEz1U8PaxYaaVCugv4pGg
I like the amount of shot that Geargnasher's method provides over the two gas check method.

I also think #12 shot would work better than anything with 7½ to 9 shot. Pattern density is what you want when going against Mr. No Shoulders. I have killed one fairly large snake with factory CCI .38 shotshells I was not impressed with the performance. This was back when they were loaded with I think 7½ shot. I have had better luck with .22 LR using #12.

Robert

flounderman
07-19-2016, 08:17 AM
you want power, rather than shot pattern. you are not shooting across the street and at snake distance, you will have a concentration of shot. I made some using the gas checks. elmers glue will work on the top wad. just cover it and let it harden. I never saw a snake twitch after the first shot. I believe you get more pressure from shot than from a cast bullet. I never tried it, but it should be possible to neck a 357 case down to where it would enter the cylinder all the way if the cylinder was long enough, and use it for shot loads.

victorfox
07-19-2016, 03:11 PM
Never loaded for 38 but I like this approach.

http://www.gunblast.com/Snake_Stopper.htm

We rarely shoot snakes we carry 5 or 6 ft sticks and hit them hard in the middle then smash the head when they slithe over the boundaries. In case I ever shoot one I have a Judge... LOL

trapper9260
07-20-2016, 05:27 AM
I load 44mag,357,38spl and 327 and use cracker boxes for my over shot and over powder. But I use 2 cards over the powder.I use 7 1/2 shot but that is just me.but use what ever you like. I use it for small varmits and anything else.I have use the shot caps load in a 38spl. but with over the amount of powder then it say to use and can only use it in a 357 because the cap extend further and at about 10 yrds my brother had shot a pigion with it .It did not drop right away but it did drop. That is usen 7 1/2 shot. but with just the case load I do dip them in wax that way do not have to worry about water or damp get into it.I dip them 2 times first time I remove all the heavy wax and the 2nd time I just remove the wax on the case.

gwpercle
07-20-2016, 05:42 PM
I just use foam meat trays for overpowder and primer boxes for over-shot. I set the bullet seater to lightly compress/seat the over-shot card and a light roll crimp locks the card in place. Wax or glue would give extra insurance.

The foam from the top of an egg carton will work for a thinner foam wad. Some of the meat trays are quite thick.

RogerDat
07-20-2016, 05:51 PM
Sage's Outdoors has these nice shot wad & gas check kits for making pistol shot loads in several calibers. Inexpensive.
http://www.sagesoutdoors.com/shotwads/pistol-shotwad-kits/

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-20-2016, 06:17 PM
I've used wads from the back of writing tablets cut with an empty case. At least two over the powder. One over the shot. A roll crimp keeps things in place. Never had any problem with leading. You might want to use a .357 case to get more shot in the load. If you can find them, .357 max would be even better.

phonejack
07-20-2016, 09:44 PM
Whatever method you choose, try it out first. What works great in my 4" .357 leaves a 2" donut hole in a 6" barreled pistol.

victorfox
07-21-2016, 01:00 AM

I skipped this post. If you're using a 357 you could raise your load a bit, like some WC load like 2.7-3 gr.

I load brass shotshells for the judge like this: powder, over powder card punched from whatever thick cardstock I have, even toilet paper cores will do if you put more than one but I prefer notepad and notebooks hardcovers, shot (sometimes with a paper sleeve , optional,) then one or two depending on thickness card overshots secured with white glue. Let dry overnight. They stand the recoil very well. A 357 should get about 100-130gr of shot and having no true crimp it would be lower pressure. Test a few before you go to see the behavoir, pattern and penetration.

35 Whelen
07-26-2016, 04:01 PM
Cardboard wads work fine, but bear in mind they're prone to come loose under reoil. So if you're planning on shooting romper-stomper 357 loads with a shot load or two in the cylinder, there's a really good chance recoil will dislodge your wads. I know this from first hand experience.
Regarding shot size, I've used 7.5, 8 and 9 just because that's what I had laying around. Ive killed several dozen rattlesnakes and honestly Can't see a nickels worth of difference but I prefer #9. The simplest way to get the shot is to buy a box of shotgun shells and cut open what you need.

35W

nekshot
07-26-2016, 06:06 PM
I always used the speer cups and did not like them. I checked out that Gear method and that is slick!!!! Gear should get an award for that one. I always could use these loads in revolvers but they would not eject out of my rifle without breaking. This is great. Thanks Gear!!

trapper9260
07-27-2016, 07:16 AM
I use cardboard from cracker box and use a gasket hole punch to cut them out and I put 2 over the powder and then the shot and then one over the shot and just crimp alittle and then I dip the end in hot wax and clean out all heavy wax off and then I dip again and just take the wax off the case and have not had any problems with all I load that is 357mag,38spl. ,44mag,327mag.I use the spree caps. but do not like how they get lose .Even when you use some supper glue.but have load some to take out a bird of meduim size about 7 yards. But that was in a 38spl but will only be able to use it in a 357mag because the OAL is not for what it was for .For what the data was given for it in the first place.

Ole Joe Clarke
07-27-2016, 06:20 PM
I've loaded "snake loads" for .38 Special for 30 years or more. I got the information from the American Rifleman. I use Unique powder, drop powder in a primed hull, seat a gas check, cup up, over the powder, fill hull to within about 1/16" of top, seat another gas check cup up over shot, use a nice roll crimp. I've killed many a copperhead, rattlers, and other poisonous snakes with them. Never had a problem.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

yman
07-27-2016, 07:13 PM
I have loaded a lot of the speer shot caps in38, I keep them around for snakes and use them for shooting rats when I bushhog the fields. I use a mixure of 6 & 7 1/2 shot and a few grains of bullseye. Its surprising how far you can kill a running rat with them. I shot a possum that was getting into the cat food the other day and he went down quick.
If you don't have shot caps, and your worried about leading, I read somewhere, a guy used soda straws, he put in powder, cardboard wad, then split 2 soda straws to fill the case, fill with shot and cut the top off, then top with another cardboard wad, something like that. He even mentioned finding some large soda straws one time that filled a 38case. I can see some people tweaking this, maybe even making some soda straw capsules up for loading just like the little speer caps. If you just cut the head off a case the correct length, then make up a capsule and push it out with a pencil.
If you go to youtube, 22plinkster has a review of some new shot caps from speer. They are red and contain #4 shot for larger critters like possums or raccoons. He found out what some of us already knew, the longer the barrel, the more spin the rifling imparts on the shot, causing the shot patterns to open up. In days gone by, Remington and others I am sure, made 22rilfes without rifling's just to shoot shot shells,but government know all's put a stop go that. Because, as we all know, so many criminals rob stores with 22rifles.