PDA

View Full Version : .357 180 grain loads?

EtdBob
05-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Howdy y'all!

First post here, but I've hung around and read a bit over the last few months. Lots of good info here and I figured I'd see if I can pick yer collective brains a bit.

I have just been given a pile of reloading odds and ends, including a 200 count box of 180 grain lead flat nose .357 slugs.

I have no reloading data on bullets of this weight, and I wondered if someone could suggest a load or two?

I have Unique and FFG black powder on hand. this is usually all I use.
The slugs came with cans of W231, IMR3031, and IMR4895.

I'll be shooin' 'em outta a Ruger three screw Blackhawk with a 4-5/8 tube, and maybe a 4" Ruger Security Six.
Any help would be appreciated.
- Bob

jameslovesjammie
05-23-2008, 04:04 PM
The only powders you have that are suitable for pistol are Unique and W231. Neither of them are optimal for shooting a 180 grain bullet at peak velocities. I would suggest picking up a can of 2400, Lil' Gun, H110, or 296. Any of those powders would suit your needs much better.

Boomer Mikey
05-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Some people don't need or want peak pressure maximum velocity loads.

Unique is quite suitable as a powder for 180 grain cast bullets in the 357 Magnum. This article by John Taffin explains the versatility of unique in various applications along with comments about how other well respected authorities such as Elmer Keith appreciated the wide range of uses for this powder.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_6_47/ai_74033122

http://www.reloadammo.com/357loads.htm

7 to 8 grains of Unique should work fine but start with 7 grains or less and work up to the level of performance you desire in 0.2 grain steps watching for pressure signs.

Loads listed for jacketed bullets are safe for use with cast boolits of the same weight.

You can usually find this kind of information yourself if you learn how to use the various search engines on the Internet. The following term was Googled to find this article and many other responses applicable to the question [Unique 357 loads].

Boomer :Fire:

EtdBob
05-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys, I'd looked around a bit but didn't find much direct information, and figured I'd rather hear from folks who might be using such loads.

I should have added that I am not really interested in top magnum loads.
I'm mostly interested in just using up the stuff that was given to me.

I've actually never loaded the .357 before. All my experience is with the .44 mag.
My usuall loads for that is seven grains Unique and a 240 grain wadcutter, or twelve grains and a 240 grain jacketed hollow point. Heh, and some black powder loads for fun!
These loads have handled all my shooting needs just fine fer twenty years.

That Security Six was my carry gun for the last few years, and I just bought factory ammo for it. Saved the brass though, and now that I've got a dandy Three Screw to feed I'm gonna have to start reloading this calibration.

- And casting slugs fer it. I'll pick yer brains about that some other time. Gotta see if I like the heavy 180 grain slugs first. :)

Ricochet
05-23-2008, 08:43 PM
You can always see how much of that FFg will compress under them. :mrgreen: