PDA

View Full Version : Cabellas new store policy

salpal48
07-17-2016, 04:19 PM
went to Cabellas Saturday and stayed overnight. appox 200mile from my house. Went of course to the loading section. In speaking to the Gentleman working . He said they were in the process of putting all component out of Reach of Customers. bullets primers and powder due to Intense stealing... when I was there a few months ago . the store was concerned about people stealing and Opening Boxes Of ammo. and open Powder Jugs. . I notices There was several box's of ammo shrink wrapped.
from his conversation People rip more box's open to see whats inside then leave it
can't blame them.
Most LGS don't let customers handle Unless they Buying It
What a shame

dudel
07-17-2016, 04:42 PM
I don't see a big problem. Components are out of reach if you buy on the internet. People who shoplift, only drive the prices up for the rest of us. Having the stuff behind the counters should be a minor inconvenience. If the theft problem becomes too big; stores will get out of carrying components.

Sorry it came to this; but I understand their position.

rancher1913
07-17-2016, 05:43 PM
yah but the more stuff thats behind the counter or in a locked case-----the more staff they have to have to service paying customers or they risk losing sales. hey maybe we need a law against stealing--oh thats right its not worth the powers that be time to arrest petty criminals

DougGuy
07-17-2016, 09:04 PM
Cabela's in Dundee, MI had powder out on the shelves as of early June, Cabela's in Garner, NC had powder and primers behind the counter.

Tar Heel
07-17-2016, 09:10 PM
NC has specific fire codes governing the amount of powder/primers on display (touchable by customers). This is why it is out of reach. Nothing else.

flyingmonkey35
07-17-2016, 09:12 PM
This is a local store policy nit a corporate one. The one next to me had the powder hidden for 2 years. You had to ask for it. Now that powder is back. Ots on the shelves again

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Kevin Rohrer
07-17-2016, 09:59 PM
The one in Mi had the primers in a locked case when I was there a couple years ago. They had powder out, but I have more on my shelves than they did.

Minerat
07-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Thornton CO store has powder behind gun counter so you have to wait in line for a gun sales person to clear before you can get help. On a weekends this can take an hour. I just don't buy powder there no matter how good the price or availability. I go to Bass Pro where it is on the shelf.

wrench man
07-17-2016, 10:08 PM
The Springfield store put primers out on the shelf some time ago, they had been behind the counter, powder is out on the shelf, just this week they almost doubled the reloading section, rifle on on side and pistol on the other.
But they did move a bunch of components to the bargain cave, probably SLOW moving product?, I did relive them of some of that stock.

wv109323
07-17-2016, 10:54 PM
I kinda like the policy. There is a thousand ways bullets can get mixed up if several boxes are open. Some 165 gn. bullets get into the 150 gn. box and vice-versa.(.308 caliber) Or maybe some .311 with .308, things could get serious.
If there is an unopened box that is the one I buy, not an opened box.

Three44s
07-18-2016, 09:23 AM
I would not want to buy a can of powder that someone had previously opened, nor want to buy a box of bullets that someone had switched components.

My main store for buying reloading stuff is a small regional chain named BiMart.

Since I began reloading (Class '75), their components have been behind the counter. They have the best prices by far and I can wait!

Three 44s

jmorris
07-18-2016, 10:17 AM
I would imagine in CA lots of stores will be doing this now that folks are going to have to go through a background check to buy ammo.

Rick Hodges
07-18-2016, 11:55 AM
Dundee, Michigan store had ammo/powder and primers out on open shelves. The Bulk Ammo sold in ammo cans had a plastic tie wrap though the latch to stop opening it. This was last Thursday.

rondog
07-18-2016, 12:30 PM
Lone Tree, CO store has everything out where I can happily coonfinger anything I want! Just bought 1lb each of 231 and Titegroup. Got home and found I already had 3lbs of 231, should have bought 2 Titegroups instead.

mdi
07-18-2016, 12:59 PM
I've been reloading for quite a few years and every store I purchased powder or primers from had them "out of reach". Most good bullets were also on the shelves behind the counter. The only stuff out for easy reach was the cheap bullets (generic cast) and cheap ammo, except when their "premium" ammo was on sale, then it was stacked neatly on a display. Started reloading in So, CA, but it's the same here in So. Oregon, 25 years later...

w5pv
07-19-2016, 08:52 AM
I hate thieves

str8wal
07-19-2016, 10:21 AM
went to Cabellas Saturday and stayed overnight

I didn't know that they had lodging. Or, did you stowaway in a floor display tent? :razz:

Moonie
07-19-2016, 11:50 AM
NC has specific fire codes governing the amount of powder/primers on display (touchable by customers). This is why it is out of reach. Nothing else.

You obviously haven't been to my LGS in Kernersville, they have hundreds of pounds of powder on the shelves for fondling, the primers are behind the counter however.

RogerDat
07-19-2016, 01:04 PM
I talked to a couple of clerks in Dundee store, they said the biggest problem they had during the scarcity that had them limiting the daily purchase people were taking items and stashing them around the store. I you can only buy 3 cans of powder but hide another 6 you can come back for the next couple of days or get some friend or relative to come in for the items you stuffed under sweatshirts or behind coats. Had a real problem with the ammo being done the same way. Guy would put big stack in his cart, arrive at checkout with just the small allowed amount. Recall the powder and primers were out on shelves. Had a half decent selection last time I was there.

bedbugbilly
07-19-2016, 03:27 PM
Can't really blame them a bit for having to go to this. I have an acquaintance who owns a fairly large gun shop. He tole me several years ago that one of their biggest problems was people coming in, opening up ammo boxes and stealing cartridges out of them. Unfortunately, all of the theft does nothing but drive up the cost of having to package so that this can't happen - shrink wrap, etc. The same way for components, etc. Having been in business for many years, it always amazed me at the amount of shoplifting that goes on . . . and often times it is by folks who can well afford to purchase the item. Some people seem to think that retail outlets are "rich" and can afford the "loss" - that every dollar taken in is a dollar profit. But as someone said . . "you can't fix stupid". Unfortunately, the thieves drive up the prices for the honest folks. Personally, I have no issue if powder, components, etc. are behind the counter. Most of us know what we want and it's easy enough to ask for it.

salpal48
07-19-2016, 05:27 PM
With the Cabellas reward Points. with a purchase of $300.00 or more You get a delux 2 room No bath tent accomadation + a morning wake up call
Sal
I didn't know that they had lodging. Or, did you stowaway in a floor display tent? :razz:

country gent
07-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Its ironic that these things need to be enacted and done. I reduse to buy when there is a slip for the item and not the item any more. ( Harbor frieght and some others are good for this) Bought an Item on the slip and stood in line checked out then waited an hour and a half as "all the clerks" were busy. Since when has shopping and some other things became at the stores convience? Im the customer Im patronizing thier buisness and leaving my oney there for goods and services. Not the other way around.

07-19-2016, 10:28 PM
went to Cabellas Saturday and stayed overnight. appox 200mile from my house. Went of course to the loading section. In speaking to the Gentleman working . He said they were in the process of putting all component out of Reach of Customers. bullets primers and powder due to Intense stealing... when I was there a few months ago . the store was concerned about people stealing and Opening Boxes Of ammo. and open Powder Jugs. . I notices There was several box's of ammo shrink wrapped.
from his conversation People rip more box's open to see whats inside then leave it
can't blame them.
Most LGS don't let customers handle Unless they Buying It
What a shame

For what legitimate purpose would one need to open a box of ammo in the store?

I applaud Cabellas for their new policy. If this is what it takes to stop theft and therefore hold down costs for the rest of us, I'm all for it.

EDG
07-20-2016, 03:47 AM
I don't mind the new policy but they will do nothing about employees that leave the dept or BS and do not serve customers. I am not very good about waiting on dead wood sales personnel.

07-20-2016, 07:29 AM
In fairness, we are responsible for the poor staff as well. We insist on lowest prices, we steal the store blind. I don't mean us in this group personally but you get what I mean. They can't pay what it takes to staff quality (if you can even find good people these days and that's another story) like you are expecting with these problems and pricing. The margins don't support it. You get great service with a smile at Starbucks because you're paying $5 for a cup of coffee. It's an easier environment to keep employees focused and they have the margin to pay more to keep a better employee.

There are things said or implied in this thread I do not understand. I don't see why someone would mind components being held behind the counter or locked up. I don't understand why one needs to pickup a container of powder in their hands and "fondle" it. Do you really need to rattle a box of primers in your hands to decide whether you need them or not? Yes, I am a little jaded. We are a manufacturer/distributor and we used to handle several states of Wal-Mart stores. We are the ones that eventually have to eat that ripped open box of ammo, that can of powder where the seal has been broken, etc. I mean that metaphorically as we are in a different line of goods buts you get the point. We much prefer dealing with online sellers. As soon as you put a penny of the responsibility on the purchaser, the BS stops. They think a little harder before they make a purchase and if it's open, it can't be returned or if there is nothing wrong with the product but they want to return it and have to pay return shipping or a restocking fee they generally don't return it. We get virtually nothing back from those companies so we can sell cheaper to them and they sell cheaper to you.

Shawlerbrook
07-20-2016, 07:44 AM
It is a real shame the state of things here in 2016. I blame the move to reducing or eliminating punishment for so-called minor crimes. Unless things change, we are heading towards anarchy. We now blame society or history for people's bad behavior instead of holding the individual responsible. Sorry for the rant.

07-20-2016, 07:55 AM
It is a real shame the state of things here in 2016. I blame the move to reducing or eliminating punishment for so-called minor crimes. Unless things change, we are heading towards anarchy. We now blame society or history for people's bad behavior instead of holding the individual responsible. Sorry for the rant.

That is not a rant, you are exactly right. There is no personal responsibility. "I don't know who's fault it is, I just know it's not mine".

Tar Heel
07-21-2016, 07:47 AM
You obviously haven't been to my LGS in Kernersville, they have hundreds of pounds of powder on the shelves for fondling, the primers are behind the counter however.

If LGS chooses to ignore fire codes, that's their business. We (Cabela's) follow the codes for YOUR SAFETY.

Moonie
07-21-2016, 04:55 PM
If LGS chooses to ignore fire codes, that's their business. We (Cabela's) follow the codes for YOUR SAFETY.

I see nothing in the state fire codes for smokeless propellant except for personal use, not for retail establishments. Perhaps that fire code is for the city you are in.

dragon813gt
07-21-2016, 05:53 PM
I see nothing in the state fire codes for smokeless propellant except for personal use, not for retail establishments. Perhaps that fire code is for the city you are in.

Fire codes are typically on a municipal level, not the state. And they are often tied into building code. There is definitely separate code for retail/commercial establishments. You can read the guidelines in NFPA if you want to. They are just guidelines but most places adopt them as their code.

Tar Heel
07-23-2016, 09:00 PM

Why, pray tell, are you reading fire codes and not casting bullets?

NyFirefighter357
07-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Fire codes are typically on a municipal level, not the state. And they are often tied into building code. There is definitely separate code for retail/commercial establishments. You can read the guidelines in NFPA if you want to. They are just guidelines but most places adopt them as their code.

I find they are also tied to how gun friendly the area is. In NY depending on where, if the area doesn't like guns they have strict fire codes prohibiting storage of powder & limit bullets to under 1,000 rounds in commercial buildings.