PDA

View Full Version : Weird rest problem with contender

redneckdan
05-23-2008, 02:06 PM
I've been playin with the contender and noticed that it is more accurate when shot with a two hand hold while standing versus off a rest. The rest I'm using(owned by the pistol club) is this one http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=783227&t=11082005
the problem is particularly noticible with my 10" .357 mag barrel. At 25yds I can keep five shots in the black on a 50' bullseye target, with the shooting rest they go into outer space, I'm lucky to keep 2 of 5 on the target paper. Why does it do this? It has also happend with the 14" .223 barrel.

Also, can any one recommend a better grip to replace the stock rubber/wood grip?

Dye
05-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Dan
Check your lock up and make sure it is tight. I use a front bag and get the action as far forward as I can. With that rest you are putting an uneven pressure on the barrel.
Be carefull Dye

redneckdan
05-23-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm new to working on contenders. What is the procedure for checking the lock up on a single shot?

Scrounger
05-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Also make sure your butt stock screw, rifle or pistol, is as tight as you can get it without stripping it. This is always a consideration in guns with two piece stocks, lever actions, pumps, semi-auto, or single shot.

Dye
05-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Dan
Take the fore stock off and try to move the barrel sideways and up an down make sure there is not any play between the action and the frame. The Contender frames will stretch if they are over pressured for any length of time .

Becarefull Dye

James C. Snodgrass
05-23-2008, 05:18 PM
You can expect to get some very impressive groups from them. As far as shooting mine I try to keep a firm grip and press the trigger guard and frame against the front rest and bag and small bag under grip. I have shot dozens of loads thru my 223 14" under M.O.A . On occasion if not locked up proper it will auto eject, meaning it will fly open when fired and kick out the brass. Not a safe thing but usually caused by oil on the locking lugs. Not a real uncommon thing but something to look for. Good luck James

longhorn
05-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Back when I shot Contenders some, I always found that any bag under the grip would spread groups--might try it with just a front rest....

jhalcott
05-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Are you laying the BARREL on the rest or the wood fore arm? Are you holding the gun the same each shot? Try shooting them with the forearm resting on sand bags, and your wrists on another sand bag. If you aren't comfortable while using the club's rest this could cause muscle flexes that aren't wanted.

leadman
05-23-2008, 11:14 PM
The Pachymar Decelerator is the best grip I have found. Also make sure that the grip is not hitting the rest when you fire it. Your elbow position can have an influence on the accurracy. Get in position then raise the pistol like it is recoiling. If it does not come straight up and back modify your position until it does.

ridurall
06-01-2008, 12:02 AM
I used to shoot NRA Hunter and Small Bore Hunter Silhouette back in the 1980's. From January 1983 to June 1983 I cast and shot 6000 rounds 168 gr Ray Thompson designed bullets with gas checks while getting ready for the Nationals. I was shooting them at 1515 FPS using if memory serves me correctly with 15.6 grains of WW296. I found that to sight in my Contender and scope I needed to shoot off hand. It shot to a different point of impact off the bags. At the 1983 Nationals at Thomasville NC I tied one match for high gun with Mike Mosley who ended up as National Champion. The second day of that match I blew it when my head swelled up too big. I ended up making 2nd place AA class. One of the reasons I was having to sight in my Contender so much was I was using a Thompson Center scope with a life time warranty. I had to send it back 6 times before I got tired of it busting and put a Burris Scope on my Contender. I've still got that Burris 4X hand gun scope and it works just fine. I'll give TC credit for their life time warranty as they always honored it but I just couldn't stand having to sight in my hand gun every month. Anyway I found that my TC shot better off hand then off the rest bags. I could even shoot it better off hand then I could my deer rifle off hand. When shooting it off hand I used a push/pull hold on it. My left hand pushing while my right hand pulling the hand gun back toward me. I found that to be the most stable hold for me.

felix
06-01-2008, 12:27 AM
That is the most stable hold for any hand held pistol, even when the hands are on the bags as well. Offhand and off the bags would then be very close to same POI. ... felix

part_timer
06-03-2008, 07:42 PM
we use sand bags under the forend and push the pistol forward until the trigger guard is setting against the sand bag with nothing under the grip. This seems to work ok with our encore and contender.

boommer
06-04-2008, 12:09 AM
part timer that what works best for me too! But how you can hit better off hand better than off a bag rest at 50 YDS any way that I can't understand. I'm not a great pistol shooter but with a rest ,no matter how the the gun vibes or recoils I can do much better on sending it down range. I have found that rest it closest to the hinge pin and one hand on the grip and trigger and other hand directly under the other using that hand as a sponge rest for elevation windage.

miestro_jerry
06-04-2008, 02:45 AM
I have Pachymar grigs and forend on mine and I use sand bags to to steady the pistol on a bench rest.

Jerry

06-04-2008, 10:36 AM
+1 for a Pachmyer grip. At the moment if ignition, I suspect the effects of recoil and the unforgiving rest are moving your pistol so as to move it off the point of aim. When hand held, it doesn't "bounce" off point of aim. A soft "bull bag" rest, sand bag, kitty litter (which I use) seem better. Always use the same point of contact with the rest. Don't rest one shot on the barrel and the next on the forearm and the next on the trigger guard, etc. Gently push into the bag and do it the same each time. The above puts me on the same POI hand held or bag rested.

chasw
06-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I find its necessary to modify Contender forearms so they don't contact the frame. With that, a consistent rest of the forearm on a sandbag, centered on the forearm screw or screws, is the best policy. - CW