PDA

View Full Version : Nu-Finish on PC Bullets...

NYBushBro
07-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Many folks (myself included) have used NU-FINISH when tumbling cartridge cases (with great results) - the brass comes out looking like jewelry.

Question: has anyone considered taking Powder Coated castings and applying NU-FINISH over the PC coating?

I figure that since NU-FINISH is touted as the 'Once A Year Car Polish', and that since Powder Coating is an alternative to spray paint, that perhaps NU-FINISH just might be advantageous applied over oven-cured PC cast projectiles - similar to 'waxing your car'.

I was contemplating trying this, similar to the method of applying NU-FINISH to brass: put the cured PC samples in a vibrating tumbler with walnut/Nu-Finish for a short time to put a thin coating over the PC finish.

I'm guessing that it may also affect the co-efficient of friction (ie: slippery) as the bullet is sent down the bore.

This might be an interesting experiment for those on this forum who are accuracy-oriented high-volume shooters... if only to disprove whether this added step might tweak group size on a repeated basis.

Anyone have any thoughts?

bangerjim
07-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Why????????????? PC is slick and smooth enough when applied prolerly.

Try it and let us know.

I will stick with the proven engineered application of PC.

mozeppa
07-17-2016, 12:02 PM
i tried it.

the boolits were so fast ....they left the bore BEFORE i pulled the trigger!
3 shots got to the target before they left the bore!

had to call string theory professor at M.I.T. to explain this....he said : "time travel".

OS OK
07-17-2016, 12:13 PM
":killingpc...Oh Dear Lord...please send us humans a miracle, any miracle will do...we are suffering from constipated minds. Yes...that's it...a mind enima, :shock: ... that or get a bigger hammer to get our attention with." ...:bigsmyl2:

lunicy
07-17-2016, 12:21 PM
I would clay bar and polish first. Then Nu-finish. That'll bring out the shine.

popper
07-17-2016, 02:20 PM
A well known previous member here used lube over PC and picked up ~50 fps. Not enough improvement to justify $/time.

RP
07-17-2016, 02:54 PM
My PC bullets are slick enough for me they prove it to me since I tend to drop them a lot more then reg boolits. If yours are not slick odds are your using a flat or crinkle type PC or applying in such a way your not getting the slick coating.

garym1a2
07-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Don't items like Nufinish polish have polish in it. That's a mild abrasive not going down my barrel.

HiVelocity
07-17-2016, 08:47 PM
Why not just use JPW then? Can't get any slicker than JPW, IMHO. But, I like the theory.

HV

Walter Laich
07-18-2016, 12:07 PM
after Nu-Finish you could go for max shine with a buffing wheel. With the right sun conditions you could track the trajectory down to the target.

:-P

runfiverun
07-18-2016, 01:33 PM
nu-finish is just a polymer pretty much like some of the powder coating powder is.
it's not a polish it's used like car wax.

I have a little project sitting on the shelf using nu-finish and naked lead boolits, I just ain't quite got to the shooting stage with it yet.

HangFireW8
07-18-2016, 01:37 PM
According to the car detailing boards, Nu Finish has ceramic microspheres, which puts it in the wax with polish category.

Smoke4320
07-18-2016, 01:58 PM
If its not a polish why do so many put it in their tumblers to polish brass and report good results ?

runfiverun
07-18-2016, 05:05 PM
it coats the brass with a thin clear polymer coating.
I use the polymers in my wet and dry tumblers.
what it does is give the brass an air tight coating that keeps the cases from tarnishing.

dragon813gt
07-18-2016, 06:09 PM
it coats the brass with a thin clear polymer coating.
I use the polymers in my wet and dry tumblers.
what it does is give the brass an air tight coating that keeps the cases from tarnishing.

Bingo, that's all NuFinish does. It does not aid in polishing the brass. It keeps them shiny for a long time after you remove them from the tumbler.

Smoke4320
07-18-2016, 07:52 PM
OK learned something new :)

emorris
07-18-2016, 09:55 PM
I have done my normal tumble after loading. There was no difference with harbor freight red powder.

NYBushBro
07-21-2016, 09:09 PM
after Nu-Finish you could go for max shine with a buffing wheel. With the right sun conditions you could track the trajectory down to the target.

:-P

I may have to use sunglasses for testing those things! :bigsmyl2:

rosewood
07-21-2016, 09:17 PM
Nu-finish will remove the top layer of dull paint on a single stage paint job and make shine again. Used it many times on my 90 pickup. Not sure if it is removing oxidation or paint or both.

noisewaterphd
07-22-2016, 02:32 AM
Reducing the friction on your bullet is going to effect velocity a little bit (a "slicker" bullet will lose a bit of velocity).

This velocity change may, or may not give you better accuracy in your gun. You could, and probably already found out if this will provide a bump in accuracy when you were working up your load.

Depending on the caliber we are talking about, the velocity change will be so minimal that it probably won't really change much of anything.

That being said, it isn't going to hurt anything, so go ahead and try it out and you tell us how you liked it.

Ignore the naysayers, if you enjoy experimenting then go for it.

Dragonheart
07-22-2016, 10:25 AM
Not to put on sour grapes, but I am looking for ways to increase my production and reduce my effort and expense. Nu-Finish works great in tumbling media, but I just can't see derived benefits that would justify the additional time and expense. When sizing I do spray lube my bullets with my alcohol/lanolin mix, but that takes just seconds and is cheap.

fcvan
07-28-2016, 01:16 AM
I use Turtle Zip Wash in my head tumbling media. Same thin coat to seal the pores of the brass. One table spoon in a Lyman vibratory case cleaner, works great! Oh, and I have used the same ground walnut for the past few years. Every few months or so I throw it in a small zippered burlap bag, run some hot water and Dawn dish soap and agitate. Rinse until the water runs clear and leave the bag in the sun. The media swells up and gets coarse again. Yes, I 'reload' my media :-)

HangFireW8
07-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Bingo, that's all NuFinish does. It does not aid in polishing the brass. It keeps them shiny for a long time after you remove them from the tumbler.

"According to the car detailing boards, Nu Finish has ceramic microspheres, which puts it in the wax with polish category."

I guess I have to repeat myself. Or is reality intruding too much in this conversation?

dragon813gt
07-29-2016, 06:35 AM
There is no wax in it all: http://www.primeautomotive.com/msds/nu_finish_wax_msds.pdf

You have solvent, ceramic microspheres and a wetting/lubricating agent. I guess I was wrong about not aiding in polishing brass. But it doesn't seem to help speed up the polishing.

rosewood
07-29-2016, 07:10 AM
I believe Nu-Finish helps to remove oxidation. The bottle says "the once a year car polish".

There is a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to what polishing is. Many define polishing as simply cleaning it up, but I believe the true definition of polishing is gently removing material to improve the finish. The car care companies do not help either, when they have "polish" written on a bottle that is merely a cleaning agent, people believe that is polish. Or when they mix wax and polish and call it polish.

Kind of like the oil companies. The bottle clearly says "motor oil" but in gas/diesel burners, it is an engine, not motor. Motors are electric by definition. You pour oil in a motor, you are going to have problems.

Rosewood

Dragonheart
07-29-2016, 10:35 AM
"According to the car detailing boards, Nu Finish has ceramic microspheres, which puts it in the wax with polish category."

I guess I have to repeat myself. Or is reality intruding too much in this conversation?

I agree, if Nu-finish contain ceramic, I do not doubt that it does, then there is abrasion taking place, which explains why it polishes the brass as well as leaving a paraffin coating residue on the brass from the polymer. The benefits on brass would be what all of us that use the product know and that is bright polished brass that is resistant to tarnishing. However, the ceramic is unknown, so it is not something I would want on my bullets and in my bore.

I realize Hexagonal Boron Nitride (HBN), is also a ceramic, is used for barrel coating, but this is a known ceramic and a controlled process designed to deposit the ceramic into the steel of the barrel to provide longevity and reduce friction.

popper
07-29-2016, 11:34 AM
Now go look up the tchnical definition of 'ceramic'. It's not what you may think.

warf73
08-07-2016, 12:14 AM
I know when people say Ceramic, little ol me things of 2 things. Ceramic's in art class and the Ceramic bearings in the milling machines spindle. We went to high speed spindles 15 years ago and they have Ceramic bearing, run forever but don't take a crash very well.

As for Nu-Finish love the stuff in my tumbler as keeps my brass from tarnishing after cleaning and setting or after reloading. I have brass that is well over 5 years old in a zip lock baggie that look like they just came out of the press.

Using Nu-Finish for coated boolits........ mine are very slick and spit out of my fingers sometimes when reloading. Not sure I need slicker boolits :)