PDA

View Full Version : Vickerman versus Easy-Seater versus RCBS window type bullet seating

ottsm
07-17-2016, 11:26 AM
I've been thinking about getting one of these. I've tried calling and sending emails to both Vickerman (Dayton Machine Shop) and Easy Seater (Meachamrifles) and didn't get any response the first try, it was during hunting season so perhaps everyone was out.

Easy Seater Straight Line bullet seater die has options on different diameter bullets for oversized cast bullets so I'm leaning this way (if I can get hold of them). The others may also but they don't talk about it. RCBS can probably make a custom die but may not be cost effective. The reviews on the competition RCBS dies is mixed and I'm not sure they would work well with oversized cast bullets.

I've used an RCBS neck expanding die for years. I leave the center plug free floating by not locking down the nut. I just got a Lyman M neck expanding die and like it better than the RCBS version.

The main reason for looking at the window option is for make life easier and perhaps ovoid the neck expanding step. Also may help with concentricity although the brass needs to be concentric to start with.

Anyone have any opinions or experience with these dies?

MT Chambers
07-17-2016, 03:35 PM
I use the Vickermann and the RCBS and both are perfect for the cast sizes that I seat, for example I use .310 and .311 in the RCBS Comp. seater and .458 to .459 in a Vickerman, I have only used .225 in another Vickermann. I would contact them and they could make what you want, it's good quality stuff.

ottsm
07-17-2016, 03:52 PM
My only problem with the RCBS is the cost, it's $151 for a special order for just one size. I'm shooting 25 caliber rifles (250 SAV, 257 Roberts, 25-20 SS) and at the same time 30 caliber and some 38-55. However the RCBS is available. The Vickerman can be purchased at Buffalo Arms for the 38-55. So the RCBS sounds like it is oversized enough to allow cast bullets without any special inserts?