PDA

View Full Version : S@w 9mm shield ???

lonewolf5347
07-17-2016, 11:22 AM
I wonder what is a good price on a 9MM shield used in great condition
comes with a few extra magazine and leather
I know a used S@W has no warranty from the company I wonder any major flaw on the gun to inspect before buying it?
I am going to run a few mags threw it both with factory ammo and some reloads semi-auto are not like buying a wheel gun if she runs that is half the battle.
I wonder being a ruger customer is the shield a better firearm then the ruger LC9

SSGOldfart
07-17-2016, 11:45 AM
They are on sale this weekend at PSA.$349.00.send me your email address,I'll forward you there ad.:bigsmyl2:.

lonewolf5347
07-17-2016, 02:59 PM
I seen the add on sale

bedbugbilly
07-17-2016, 10:09 PM
I checke a gun shop site near me and they had used M & P Shield 40 - with the standard two clips that come with it, for $320.00. I think the 9mm ones have been listed for about the same price used.

Personally, I would rather purchase a new one that will have the warranty but that's just me. I am more of a revolver guy and I have no issues with buying a used revolver if it check out. I have to ask myself when looking at a used semi-auto - especially if it is fairly new, why it got traded in - but again, that's just me.

That said . . . I love my 9mm Shield and have had no issues with it. It eats anything I feed it - factor ammo has worked well but it usually gets a steady diet of my cast boolit reloads. I would have no issues in getting another one. I like mine so well that I am considering selling my Ruger SR9 (I only have the two semis - the Shield and the SR() to use the proceeds towards one of the new Shield 45s when they become more available.

Yes, I've read of some who have had some issues with the Shield but you can with any handgun. That's why I went with a new one - for the warranty if needed - but mine has been flawless and I find myself carrying it more and more and parking the Smith Model 36 snub depending on where I'm gong.

Lloyd Smale
07-18-2016, 06:19 AM
yup the prices have come way down on them. I don't know if smith has something new in the works or are just trying to compete with the lc9. I know I paid a 100 bucks more for mine and most who did would probably not take less then the price of a new one to let ours go anyway so your probably better off buying new today.

CastingFool
07-18-2016, 07:43 AM
A lot of people complain about the trigger on the Ruger Lc9, and I think that may be why Ruger came out with the Lc9S. it has a very nice trigger. It is generally cheaper than the Shield, but it come with only one magazine. I have shot both the Lc9s, and the Shield side by side. Shooting offhand, I do well with either one, but the Shield seems to fit in my hand so much better. Size wise, they are almost identical, albeit the Shield is a little heavier. I ended up choosing the Shield. A word of warning on the magazines, they can be a bear to load at first. They will get better with time.

mjwcaster
07-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Watch the PSA ads, the lowest I have seen is $329, w/free shipping.
Not sure which version.
Make sure you are getting what you want, safety/no safety, CA version with mag disconnect etc.

Also figure in transfer fees on an internet purchase and sales tax on local sale if it applies.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

lonewolf5347
07-18-2016, 01:12 PM
I called a few dealers here up north seem they all want to collect sale tax and transfer fees so ruffly 65.00 bucks added to the 329.00 price.
I think the used one I will be looking at has the external safety I also read this did have a few draw backs seem it can engage when re-holstering I will have to check it out .

dubber123
07-18-2016, 05:02 PM
I Gunbrokered my .40 version, it was used, but looked new, 2 mags, no box. $299 with free shipping. That was the cheapest I have seen one go.

I actually like the safety. I engage it, holster, click it off once in the holster. I'm constantly climbing ladders and crawling around a lot. I have never had it engage with the Crossbreed holster I use.

bluelund79
07-18-2016, 08:13 PM
I paid $315 otd for mine, new, last year. Its been flawless with at least 1k rounds through it, both cast and jacketed. I wouldn't pay over $275 for a used one, but that's just me. Never had the safety engage on its own. I don't used it, and the version without the safety was an extra $50.

leeggen
07-18-2016, 09:52 PM
I took the carry class the other day and I think there were 6 people that rented 22's for the class. After talking to a couple they had purchased 9's and 40's to carry but had never shot one. Just glad I don't have to be around them. Some do this and find out that it isn't a 22 and then trade them for something else.
CD

Drm50
07-18-2016, 10:28 PM
I am not an authority on the S&W Shield. But there are more than one model and features. I just
sold one that I took on trade, had been shot less than 25rds. In case with extra mag. Lock and
a new $50 CCW holster for $400. I just got a M&P 40 same condition, but it is bigger gun. I've
had several Ruger LCPs, they may not be as durable as S&W, triggers may be a little rough but
they ain't made for Camp Perry matches. For most people would be the best bet,if for no other
reason it is dependable and the size & weight of it , will make it easier carry. Me, I'll stick with
S&W wheelies.

Forrest r
07-19-2016, 08:08 AM
You might want to take a look at the bbl's on the s&w shields. Last I knew the 9mm's didn't have a fully supporting chamber. When hot loads are fired in the shields the brass gets the "glock bulges".

Some brass that was fired in a shield.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/e58c1b47-e2fb-4ff1-ac7f-d0ba08d38206_zpsvxyes24j.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/e58c1b47-e2fb-4ff1-ac7f-d0ba08d38206_zpsvxyes24j.jpg.html)

What starline says about using their 9mm brass in a shield

9mm brass: also known as 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Luger and 9x19mm. This cartridge is now one of the most popular pistol cartridges in the world. **NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE IN S&W SHIELD PISTOLS WITH NEAR-MAX OR +P LOADS, DUE TO POORLY SUPPORTED CHAMBER CONDITION**

Texas by God
07-21-2016, 12:44 PM
I've just put a Shield .40 on layaway. Used one mag $315. If it's as good as the 9mm Shield my wife confiscated from me I'll be tickled.

FergusonTO35
07-21-2016, 03:17 PM
FYI, the one and only time I've had to send a gun to S&W for service they didn't ask anything about whether I bought it new, request proof of purchase, or anything like that. I just sent them an e-mail asking about a problem and they sent me a shipping label. My experience with Ruger has been the same.

lonewolf5347
07-21-2016, 04:21 PM
I ran the gun yesterday 10 yards 2 hand hold unsupported a great 3" group and it had to my surprise a descent trigger.
Perfecta ammo I had 1 stove pipe out of 35 rounds
Speer gold dots 124 H.P. combat she spit them out as fast as I could pull the trigger
I checked the fired brass no bulged and great primer hits

shoot-n-lead
07-21-2016, 04:28 PM
I LOVE my Shield...matter of fact, I will probably order another one tomorrow for my daughter.