PDA

View Full Version : might be sacrelidge

Lloyd Smale
07-17-2016, 05:43 AM
Ive got a 94 marlin that Rob Applegate built me about 15 years ago in 475 linebaugh. I shot a couple buffalo with it back when I first got it and its been sitting since. I got the itch to use it this deer season and I'm not getting any younger and open sights just don't cut it in low light anymore for me. I stuck a 1x3 weaver scope on it yesterday. It sure doesn't look as sleek and cool with that ugly scope on it but I guess I'm to old to worry about such things. Almost a crime to put one on it though, its a one of a kind rifle but I hate having it collect dust in the safe.

6bg6ga
07-17-2016, 05:47 AM
You did the right thing Lloyd. You slightly modified a good gun to be better and to satisfy your needs.

Preacher Jim
07-17-2016, 05:56 AM
If you can use it adequately it's great, beauty is in the group. Not hanging on the wall.

MostlyLeverGuns
07-17-2016, 09:17 AM
I always thought hitting the target is more important than 'looking cool'. Most of my rifles including the lever guns carry scopes. Only way to really see the accuracy a lever gun is capable of.

runfiverun
07-17-2016, 09:31 AM
scope huh?
you'd have been better off sending me the rifle.
that's like making a dog wear a neckerchief, or a costume at Halloween.
what's next P/C boolits down it's barrel??
the shame,,,, the shame...

DerekP Houston
07-17-2016, 09:36 AM
I always thought hitting the target is more important than 'looking cool'. Most of my rifles including the lever guns carry scopes. Only way to really see the accuracy a lever gun is capable of.

That is my opinion on the matter, but yall have a lot more experience than me. I'd rather have a humane shot than look cool. Not like you can't take the scope back off later in any event.

MrWolf
07-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Now you have gone and done it. Desecration I say! It must now be purified, so send it to me and I will perform the required rites and send it back in 50 or so years. I will be long gone by then but hey...

You do what you need to enjoy YOUR firearm. Who cares what someone else thinks? Artful even put a silencer on a lever. Enjoy while you can and have fun. Seems as we get older we keep having to make modifications to everything we do anyway..

nagantguy
07-17-2016, 09:54 AM
I applaud your ethical and mature decision, the eyes are not as crisp as they were, so to continue to humanly harvest the animals we respect so you added some glass, good.for you sir, good.for you!

dverna
07-17-2016, 10:03 AM
It is a sacrilege NOT to be using such a fine rifle!!! Keep the scope on and enjoy it!!!

ReloaderFred
07-17-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm contemplating doing the very same thing to my .444 Marlin for an elk hunt in November. The unit we're going to hunt doesn't always provide close shots like here on the coast, and the last time I got drawn for this unit, I carried my 1895 Marlin with XO sights. I had used that rifle to take a moose in Northern Alberta a few years prior, but that was only a 125 yard shot. The elk we hunted in the snow were all out further and I was outgunned by the .300 WM hunters with their big scopes. I did get an elk with the open sights, but it was over 250 yards and off hand. I would have felt much better if I'd had a low power scope on the old .45-70, though.

Now you've pushed me over the edge on the .444, so it's going to wear a scope for this hunt. Now to get it mounted and start working up some good meat seeking loads for it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Speedo66
07-17-2016, 10:20 AM
What's the use of a gun if you can't hit anything with it?

I revel in the one of the benefits of old age, the fact that I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks anymore.

northmn
07-17-2016, 10:49 AM
When we were required to use open sights in muzzle loading competition there were a few compensations for older eyes, most helped, scopes are better. If I had only one deer rifle it would be scoped.

DP

robg
07-17-2016, 11:35 AM
I've tried ghost ring sights std buckhorn etc but the front sigh is just fuzzy ,scope was the answer even though I hate the look on my winie .if you can't shoot accurately there no point is there?

reivertom
07-17-2016, 03:46 PM
It's only a sacrilege if you permanently screw it up. Scopes come off and no body has to know! Deer deserve to be killed clean and if that does it for you then it's a good thing.

Blackwater
07-17-2016, 11:13 PM
I understand Lloyd, and am at the same place myself. Just got a nice (and spendy) Sig red dot for my Ruger Mk II. Can't hit what you can't see! The small red dots can really be great sights on any gun used at 200 yds. and less, but they're just as ugly as scopes, if not moreso? But I'd much rather hear "great shot!" than "gee, that's a pretty rifle. It's a shame you can't hit with it!"

Lloyd Smale
07-18-2016, 05:48 AM
yup you can bet your but that the day after deer season the peep will be back on it. Looks like a great big wart on that cute little cannon.
It's only a sacrilege if you permanently screw it up. Scopes come off and no body has to know! Deer deserve to be killed clean and if that does it for you then it's a good thing.

OverMax
07-18-2016, 09:33 AM
Cheater glass on a lever. Oh No!! How could you do that.
Can't wait to hear about that new scar looming in your future above your aiming eye. (475) lol:kidding:

Scharfschuetze
07-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Have you tried a good aperture sight on the Marlin? I've used them on all of my lever guns since I was 16 and even though I'm in my 60s now, I still find them eminently useful and accurate. No need for a scope on the levers yet... fingers crossed.

ericp
07-19-2016, 06:00 AM
I agree with the general trend of the comments here that being able to see your target is more important than aesthetics. That being said... do you have a picture of the rifle? Sounds really cool!
Also, how is the deer population looking over there? They seem to be bouncing back considerably from last year and the previous over here.

Eric

Lloyd Smale
07-20-2016, 06:46 AM
recoil isn't bad. Id say about like a 3030.
Cheater glass on a lever. Oh No!! How could you do that.
Can't wait to hear about that new scar looming in your future above your aiming eye. (475) lol:kidding:

Lloyd Smale
07-20-2016, 06:47 AM
sorry I don't have a pic. Deer are still way down around here. I don't think there even going to issue crop damage deer permits at the farm we shoot at.
I agree with the general trend of the comments here that being able to see your target is more important than aesthetics. That being said... do you have a picture of the rifle? Sounds really cool!
Also, how is the deer population looking over there? They seem to be bouncing back considerably from last year and the previous over here.

Eric

No_1
07-20-2016, 07:01 AM
Modifying what we have to work for us is what we do. Don't worry about what others say.

Lloyd Smale
07-20-2016, 03:35 PM
Your no doubt right #1. I guess the crew I hunt with would probably think its cooler with a scope. Don't have to many gun savoy relatives:redneck:

2ndAmendmentNut
07-20-2016, 04:04 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160720/962262806a705108afb430fc7a545641.jpg

The MVA vintage style scopes are the only scopes that don't look odd on a lever gun in my opinion. That being said I don't see mounting a scope on a Marlin as a sacrilege. Marlins are already drilled and tapped and the scope can always be removed.

Lloyd Smale
07-21-2016, 05:49 AM
tell you how adamant I was against scopes on lever guns. I had dave clements make me an 18 inch 4570 out of a cowboy. He made a beautiful gun. AA wood, case hardening ect and I had him weld up the scope screw holes because there ugly.

John Taylor
07-22-2016, 03:33 PM
I remember a muzzle loader match where one old timer was allowed to have a scope on his front stuffer, he could not see the target without it.

fordwannabe
07-22-2016, 09:43 PM
My thought is how bad I would feel if I gut shot a deer and couldn't find it so it suffered, when if I had the scope it might not have been like that. Just me though.

TXGunNut
07-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Have you tried a good aperture sight on the Marlin? I've used them on all of my lever guns since I was 16 and even though I'm in my 60s now, I still find them eminently useful and accurate. No need for a scope on the levers yet... fingers crossed.

My Winchesters mostly wear aperture sights and my presbyopic eyes still do quite well with them in good lighting conditions. (I know about removing the aperture for low light conditions.) I very seldom hunt with my Winchester leverguns; my "hunting" leverguns are scoped Marlins because they give me more flexibility and possibly better shot placement. I'm kicking around hunting with an old Winchester levergun this year, quite possibly one made over a century ago. They worked fine back then, they'll work fine this fall.
Do what it takes to take that old favorite rifle hunting, OP!

ironhead7544
07-24-2016, 10:46 AM
You could try an adjustable aperture on a peep sight. Or an aperture on your glasses.

Nothing wrong with a scope. Especially over 100 yards on game.

Good Cheer
08-01-2016, 09:36 PM
Using 475 boolits in a centerfire instead of a muzzleloader; for shame, for shame!
:razz: