PDA

View Full Version : Nut and bolt for scope ring??

LAKEMASTER
07-16-2016, 10:22 PM
So, I managed to strip out a scope ring leeway year when I mounted it onto my rifle.

I just lapped the rings and got everything ready remount. But in this one set of threads, I've had a slightly longer bolt in there with a lock nut on the end.

Anyone else have a bubba rigged situation like this ?

It's on a set of see through rings.

nagantguy
07-16-2016, 10:26 PM
pics would help I like most have a box o scope ring parts screws and odd and ends and some things I don't know.what the he'll they are , if I have a part in the mess you could use I'd send it to you, and yes sir I've had to and have inherented a few bubba'd rings and mounts.

LAKEMASTER
07-16-2016, 11:00 PM

LAKEMASTER
07-16-2016, 11:01 PM
This is what the bolts look like before the lock nuts. This is the side that was really sloppy from the factory and stripped out after the 2nd time mounting a scope

Geezer in NH
07-23-2016, 03:51 PM
It's called bubba'ing. Get a new ring and start over or drill out re-tap to a bigger size the bolt and nut amateur city devaluing the gun seriously IMHO

Ballistics in Scotland
07-24-2016, 05:46 AM
I've got some oversize screws and a tap for repairing stripped 6.48 threads. I bought them from Brownells long ago, and while they don't seem to be in their catalogue now, someone else may do them. I doubt if they exist in other threads, though.

Helicoil inserts are a possibility. You tap the hole with the special helicoil tap and screw in (with what sort of tool I don't know) a sort of coilspring which bears the internal thread. Again, these probably aren't available in the industry standard threads like 6-48, but in UNF and UNC pitches they are.

You could also try peening the hidden end of the thread with a punch, reducing the hole enough to tap. If you use rubber cement inside the ring, holding a scope doesn't take nearly as tight screwing-up (the very word!) as bubba thought.

Finally if it is some sort of rare ring that you can't get any more, you could silver solder a piece of tube inside an enlarged hole and retap that. You would probably have to reblue, though.

fg-machine
07-24-2016, 09:00 AM
My only issue with it would be getting it evenly torqued down From one side to the other with screws on one side and nuts and bolts on the other

Goatwhiskers
07-24-2016, 09:57 AM
Loc-Tite makes a thread repair product, apparently some sort of epoxy, that works wonderfully well. Sold by Brownells. I have used it to repair a stripped lifter pivot screw in a Marlin 94, the hole in the frame was stripped not the screw. Used according to instructions it will fix your problem. GW

flounderman
07-30-2016, 09:50 AM
I have less than zero use for see thru rings to start with. Anytime I get a gun with them on, they go in a box. they mount the scope too high and if you have a scope, why try and see thru under it. Me, personally, I would take them off and mount the scope as low as I could get it and remove the iron sights. There is a good chance I would have the part you need, but without identifying brand and number, hard to match it. there's nothing wrong with the way you are doing it, for that matter. whatever tightens the rings down works.

blikseme300
08-05-2016, 06:51 PM
I have less than zero use for see thru rings to start with. Anytime I get a gun with them on, they go in a box. they mount the scope too high and if you have a scope, why try and see thru under it. Me, personally, I would take them off and mount the scope as low as I could get it and remove the iron sights. There is a good chance I would have the part you need, but without identifying brand and number, hard to match it. there's nothing wrong with the way you are doing it, for that matter. whatever tightens the rings down works.

I tried see-through rings on one of my Marlin's once and the groups were terrible. Switched to low mounts and things improved and settled down.