PDA

View Full Version : .35 Remington Marlin 336 with Coated Pistol Bullets

Skinnedknuckles
07-16-2016, 12:32 PM
I have a 1957 era Marlin 336 (Microgroove) in 35 Remington that I'm starting to reload for. One thing I want to load is light plinking rounds using pistol bullets. I loaded some 158 gr coated SWC bullets over Unique and was pleased with the initial results. However, I noticed a very slight resistance as the bolt finally closed, something I don't feel with "normal" jacketed rifle bullets.

As a second trial I've loaded some cartridges with 180 gr coated WFN bullets from MBC over IMR4227. However, when test chambering a dummy round I've noticed even greater resistance as the bolt finally closes. Looking closely I can see a ring about 1/8" out from the case mouth and about 1/8" long where the coating is slightly compressed, and maybe I can see slight indication of rifling in the compressed area. The bullets as received are .359" and the compressed area measures .357". I flipped a jacketed bullet upside down in a case and chambered it, and it was pushed back by the throat to the same point that the compressed area on the coated bullet begins, so I'm assuming the very slight taper of the WFN bullet is just contacting the start of the rifling at the end of the throat.

Having heard the warnings about possible pressure spikes when ramming jacketed bullets into the rifling with full power loads, I'm a little hesitant to fire them without more information. Given the small powder charges (for reduced velocities) and thus lower pressures, and the fact that it is soft coating instead of hard jacketing contacting the rifling, I don't think I would see any spikes, but would like some confirmation from others with more experience loading cast bullets in rifles.

richhodg66
07-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Try seating them deeper?

Haven't shot any in a long time but remember my Marlin liking the old standard Lyman 358311 nominally 160 grain RN .38 revolver bullet and about 8 grains of Red Dot. It even fed through the magazine which it won't do in a Remington 141.

dualsport
07-16-2016, 02:28 PM
If it aint broke don't fix it. My 336 .35 Rem. shoots best when the nose slightly engraves on closing.

richhodg66
07-16-2016, 02:33 PM
If it aint broke don't fix it. My 336 .35 Rem. shoots best when the nose slightly engraves on closing.

I would agree with this as long as chambering isn't difficult. Also, make sure you can extract a loaded round easily without pulling the bullet from the case and leaving it stuck in the throat. Don't ask me how I know to give this advice [smilie=1:

richhodg66
07-16-2016, 02:35 PM
By the way, welcome to the forum. You really almost could not have picked a better rifle to start as a dedicated cast rifle, the .35 Remington is a wonderful little cartridge. I've never loaded cast for one of the Micro Groove barrels before, but guys on here say it's no different from standard rifling.

Yodogsandman
07-16-2016, 05:03 PM
Welcome to the site, Skinnedknuckles!

Cast boolits like to be in contact with the rifling.....sometimes. They're much slipperier and softer than jacketed boolits so pressure spike concerns aren't as great, with most common powders.