PDA

View Full Version : Xd 40 rear sight.

bigted
07-16-2016, 07:49 AM
Love my xd and I shoot way better groups with it then my 1911. Problem is that these groups are consistently to the left of POA.

I have tried to drift the rear sight to no avail. Any hints on how to break this very tight sight lose?

scattershot
07-17-2016, 11:16 AM
Before you drift the sights, check your grip and trigger squeeze. Dry fire your pistol at a spot on the wall or something, and see if the sights move at the break. It's a fairly common tendency to shoot left with a plastic pistol.

bigted
07-17-2016, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the hint. I try very hard to get the grip correct and consistent shot to shot.

The rear sight was visibly off to the left. I tried very hard to get it to move back to center to no avail. Till yesterday that is. I was being too gentle with it. On a hunch I used my bench vise as a sight press. Got it broke loose by putting pressure on the sight and tapping on the vise with a brass hammer ... Walla ... she moved and I got it back centered.

Took it to the range and indeed it shoots center now. my load is 5.5 unique, Lee 175 grain truncated cone bullet ( home cast ), CCI 500 primers and loaded with the spiffy Lee 4 die set. (I am more and more impressed with the Lee products then ever before ... they are really improved since the early 70's when I first used them to HAMMER my ammo together). These ran into a mere 3/4 inch group at 10 yards except for the one flyer in 5 shot strings. I am very impressed with this plastic pistol. Just the spongy trigger that will be my next addressing project.

scattershot
07-17-2016, 10:16 PM
Glad it worked out. They must use hydraulic presses at the factory to install those sights!

bigted
07-18-2016, 07:31 PM
One thing for sure ... I hope it is factory tight now with the adjustment made.

So next is the trigger ... any suggestions as to what I need to do to make the spongy feel go away?

Moonie
07-18-2016, 10:47 PM
One thing for sure ... I hope it is factory tight now with the adjustment made.

So next is the trigger ... any suggestions as to what I need to do to make the spongy feel go away?

I put a powder river precision trigger in my XD Subcompact mod.2 and I love it. It is very smooth and the reset is shorter, no over travel. I really can't say enough about it, and this from a 1911 shooter...

bigted
07-23-2016, 09:31 PM
Took it back to the range today. Still shoots to POA ... But the real story today is not about the pistol but the man I shared the tiny range with.

This old gentleman came in and asked if he could share the range and I willingly agreed ... Old boy must be in his 90's and I anxiously wondered if I might learn some new tricks. Not very talkative so we just shot elbo to elbo for a while till I ran outta ammo and picked up my things as he finished his shooting string. After I retrieved my targets and he went out to place new targets. As he came back I was finishing up and noticed his hat. It read "World War 2" Vet.

I asked him about the hat and he admitted to being a fighter pilot in the war to end all wars.

Half hour later after talking and visiting we parted ways with me feeling blessed and honored to have met someone that fought and lost buddy's. He is a group of people who gave it all for us to remain free and allow liberty to continue.

Thanks Cast Boolits for helping us all to be in a group that is possible because of Old fellers like the one I spent time with today.

bigted
07-25-2016, 09:35 AM
Guess I can hijack my own thread here.

Took the slideapart and began filing and stoning the striker sear till after many reassembly's I took .008 off the striker and after stoning it to perfection I am proud to report a very usable trigger lettoff with very little creep to it now. Going to try to mess with a trigger stop to control the overtravel bit.

More i mess with this pistol the better I like it.

popper
07-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Best I can do with XDm40 is 2 @ 25, mostly horizontal. Completely stock with no problems. My favorite. FIL was Liberator nav. Crash landed after getting shot up by ME109s & FW190s. He talked to me about it once after several too many. Had to pull the front turret gunner out and take over. They tend to stuff down all bad episodes. If your vet said much you are lucky.

bigted
07-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Nope ... Didn't even try to get that conversation going. He was very humble and still astonished that folks make such a deal about it.

He is the real deal with no fanfare involved. Nearest to that is the brand new hat that declares his status as one of few left still dragging oxygen.

Just very pleased to have gotten the opportunity to meet such a pivotal individual in our history. He need not dredge up unhappy memories to be appreciated for who and what he is.

Was fun to shoot pistols with him next to me even tho I knew not with whom I shared a moment in time. Definitely a moment I have to remember for the rest of my life.

leeggen
07-28-2016, 09:00 PM
After talking to a few WW2 people it seems they had a whole different feeling about joining the war. It was , to me anyway, a feeling of having too in their heart, not the government forcing it on them. When they came home they just seem to have checked the war at the door and picked up live where the left off. They saw alot of life changing things, as with anyone on the front saw in any battle. But seems these tough old birds just filed these things away and life went on. It wasn't til a few months ago I found out dad was in one of the war zones that the jap. bombed on a daily bases. When talking to him he says it was no big deal their accuracy was so bad no boats got hit while he was there.
CD