PDA

View Full Version : Electronic powder dispensers

Pipefitter
07-15-2016, 07:09 PM
I fell into a bit of money today and have been wanting an electronic powder dispenser/scale for while. I see that there are a few different options available, and was wondering if anyone here had opinions good or bad on these items. Mid-South has the Hornady dispenser on sale right now for $185, I see Lyman has 2 different models, as well as the RCBS Chargemaster.
If you have any experience with any of these models I would like your opinions.
Thanks, Pipefitter.

Pee Wee
07-15-2016, 07:37 PM
I have the RCBS CHARGEMASTER and my buddy Duke in Fl. has one, we both find it to be dead on. When I got it I checked and double checked it many times, it was always dead on. I have another buddy that has the Hornady and he says it also is very accurate. I don't think you will go wrong with either.

daboone
07-15-2016, 07:47 PM
I've had the Lyman Gen6 for over a year and it has been flawless, consistent and reliable. Small footprint and seem not to be affected by fluorescent or LED lighting.

Greg S
07-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Pipe - I've had an RCBS Chargemaster for 8-10 years. Caught it on sale somewhere but it was still a chunk of change. I've had a good experiance with it over that time although there are a few problems with stick powders that can be rectified by re-programing the automatic speed shift points from fast to medium and trickle. I'll use it on large cartridges and load work ups which it is great for. I still prefer though once a load is finalized to throw it threw a powder measure a trickle up perticularly with long range ammo. I also use it for pistol load work ups until the load is finalized and after that I set it up on a powder thrower, verify and have at it.

Don't get me wrong, it has it strong points and weaknesses. It can be used for production runs on rifle but I can throw and trikle just as fast it seems. Doing load work ups/ladders though is where it really shines.

Smoke4320
07-15-2016, 07:55 PM
had a hornady . mine had some strange issues.
Have a RCBS charge master now (about 2 years) love it

mold maker
07-15-2016, 08:34 PM
I've used one since 1997, without a problem. You just have to eliminate any air drafts and keep it away from fluorescent light balast. (Most the desk mounted lights.)

jmorris
07-15-2016, 11:19 PM
I built this one. It's a lot more repeatable than my buddy's chargemaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA0_KDjbBGQ

dromia
07-16-2016, 03:36 AM
If you have a decent beam balance scale, not the Lee one, and a cheap powder thrower, lee is fine, then the Target Master is faster and more consistently accurate than anything else out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JvF3bA1U7s

WFO2
07-16-2016, 03:44 AM
I had a Hornandy took it back after one relodaing session . Bought an RCBS charge master and have never looked back . I use it for stick powders and it works like a champ.

jmorris
07-16-2016, 09:47 AM
...the Target Master is faster and more consistently accurate than anything else out there.

That honor goes to the Prometheus scales.

http://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html

dromia
07-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Couldn't find the comparison with the Target Master on that sight. Regarding weight accuracy that is down to the quality of your scales, I use a set of calibrated RCBS 505s with the Target master so I know that they are more accurate than my needs.

Is the Prometheus available now? When I looked at them a few years ago they were not in production.

abunaitoo
07-16-2016, 04:33 PM
I'm old school. Don't trust digital scales.
Has to be something I can see working.
Only electric powder dispenser I trust is the old AMT/Lyman Auto scale.
Not made anymore, but they do come up on ebay sometimes.

dragon813gt
07-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Who's Chargemaster isn't repeatable? I ask because I've had one for around five years and it throws the programmed charge every time. I have hit the dispenser tube when picking up the pan which ruins that throw. That's no fault of the Chargemaster. It's able to keep up when I'm loading w/ a LCT.

silverjay
07-16-2016, 06:40 PM
For something between the RCBS and the Prometheus look at the A&D FX-120I coupled with the new dispenser for them. The guy that makes them is out of Canada and they are very accurate. Holds within 0.02 grains. You can put the package together for ~$650.

browntown
07-16-2016, 06:51 PM
I have a pact. Made in USA. The scale was floaty originally, so I keep it plugged in all the time with a noise suppressor on the power cord (those little boxes that come on phone lines). Seems to be a good combo. Haven't used anything else to compare. The made in USA was the reason I bought it, the RCBS ones are made in China. That being said, the RCBS gets all the best reviews. So if mine ever quits I might go that route. Here's a compare-o.
http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

browntown
07-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Sorry, second post, just finished watching the youtube video of the Target Master. Depending on the shipping charges, the Target master isn't terribly expensive compared to the others as the pound drops. 119 pounds is currently 157 usd. It's an interesting concept, seems to sense the beam. Work flow might be different as you scoop or throw the majority of the charge first and you're just trickling from there to final weight. More stuff on the counter than I'm used to for powder work. I keep the ole Redding #2 around to check the digital from time to time. Plus I have a check weight set. Ultimately, I trust the beam before the digital.

jmorris
07-17-2016, 12:15 AM
Regarding weight accuracy that is down to the quality of your scales...

As good of a time as any to point out resolution vs accuracy. While the scale I put together can detect the difference in weight between a kernel or two that doesn't automatically mean that it is the correct weight, just that it can repeat with that accuracy.

Also, that accuracy is not needed to make accurate ammunition either. I have many loads that will shoot sub MOA with charges thrown by volume, without regard to weight at all.

garym1a2
07-17-2016, 03:52 PM
My daily email from Midway has this RCBS on sale plus a $75 mail in rebate.

Pipefitter
07-18-2016, 04:42 AM
I ordered the RCBS Chargemaster from Midway, Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

Hardcast416taylor
07-18-2016, 01:48 PM
I have the Hornady dispencer about 3 years now. It seems that I have to reset zero after about every over charge it drops way to often. I also have a Dillion electric scale that I add the powder myself. Only recently have I noticed it is .5 gr. off. Finally I have an older RCBS 505 magnetic scale. I only use the RCBS anymore as I control the zero and amount of powder added.Robert

Smoke4320
07-18-2016, 02:11 PM
I have the Hornady dispencer about 3 years now. It seems that I have to reset zero after about every over charge.

That was one of my issues as well with the Hornady dispenser.. May have been every 4 or 5 charge but way way too often ..The RCBS has a double check feature

lefty o
07-18-2016, 02:53 PM
had my chargemaster 1500 for a bunch of years. it holds zero perfectly and throws accurate charges.

AbitNutz
07-18-2016, 09:41 PM
My RCBS Chargemaster is my go to scale. I check it with it with my RCBS 10-10 and also my GemPro 250. It's just shocking that they all continually agree on such minute weights...

dsltech
07-22-2016, 03:06 PM
I was thinking of getting the RCBS chargemaster 1500 combo because I also got the Midway email stating it was on sale for $300. I don't really need one but of course it would be nice. Was going to google search it for opinions but I checked here first. Thanks to all who have chimed in, I have decided to buy. Does anyone know why the price is so cheap? I first looked at this about a year ago and it was in the $500 range and I put it out of mind due to price. At $300 plus $75 rebate its almost a no brainer. Is this model being phased out for a newer one soon?

dragon813gt
07-22-2016, 03:16 PM
It goes on sale all the time. I bought it a few years back for right around $300 plus a RCBS rebate on top.

John Boy
07-22-2016, 03:28 PM
RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder Scale and Dispenser Combo 110 Volt

Average dispensing time of 60 grains of extruded powder is 30 seconds
:groner:

dragon813gt
07-22-2016, 04:05 PM
Dispensing time is adjustable. There are a lot of parameters that can be changed.

dale2242
07-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Not to hijack the thread but, I have the Hornady Auto Charge.
I found some very useful info on the Hornady Web Site under FAQS.
Read the 3rd or 4th, whichever applies.
It improved my use of the the Auto Charge.
The instructions of how to program the trickle speed and the trickle start time are easy to follow and vastly improves the Auto Charge when adjusted properly for each powder.
The dispensing speed is great when it is properly adjusted.
Not trying to bash the RCBS but a friend who owns one says my Hornady is much faster.....dale

dale2242
07-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Here is a link.

http://www.hornady.com/support/faqs/reloading

w5pv
07-25-2016, 08:57 AM
The electronic scale that I had was never as accurate as my beam scale.You always had to wait for it to rezero to get any kind of accuracy out of it.I gave it to a tinker friend of mine and I think he gave up on it also.I know that he uses an Ohaus Scale now.

W.R.Buchanan
07-25-2016, 04:22 PM
The current method I am using for precision powder drops is this RCBS device that attaches to a regular powder measure.

I dump directly into a pan on a scale and generally set up the drop to be about .2 low and then trickle the remainder in using the integral Powder Trickler.

Many people have pooh poohed this device as being a joke, cheap and various other derogatory comments which only reflect their lack of understanding,,, however I'm here to tell you that it is well made and works Bitchin'! It is much faster than any of the electronic units and when paired with my RCBS 1010 the system is accurate to a Gnat's ****.

I achieve the same accuracy as my Lyman DPS3 when using a cheap FA Digital Scale, but at a faster pace.

I can load 50 rounds with measured charges in 30 minutes easily. It takes 2 minutes to set up the system and there is no 30 minute warm up time, which I consider to be the deal breaker with electronic dispensers. I am already done when they are just starting, and at typically 20-45 seconds per drop I can beat them everytime. My drops take 10 seconds max!

This is the reason why my Lyman DPS3 is currently for sale.

This device works with any measuring tool you choose to weigh the charge, and at $60 it is well worth the price as you get a PM stand with it.

Randy

lefty o
07-25-2016, 04:52 PM
there is no 30min warmup time on a chargemaster 1500, turn it on, calibrate it (takes 2 minutes tops), and start dispensing powder.

dragon813gt
07-25-2016, 05:55 PM
there is no 30min warmup time on a chargemaster 1500, turn it on, calibrate it (takes 2 minutes tops), and start dispensing powder.

I concur. There is no drift as it warms up. I typically turn mine on before setting anything else up. But there have been times I have forgotten to. Turn it on and off I go.

browntown
07-25-2016, 06:10 PM
The current method I am using for precision powder drops is this RCBS device that attaches to a regular powder measure.

I dump directly into a pan on a scale and generally set up the drop to be about .2 low and then trickle the remainder in using the integral Powder Trickler.

Many people have pooh poohed this device as being a joke, cheap and various other derogatory comments which only reflect their lack of understanding,,, however I'm here to tell you that it is well made and works Bitchin'! It is much faster than any of the electronic units and when paired with my RCBS 1010 the system is accurate to a Gnat's ****.

I achieve the same accuracy as my Lyman DPS3 when using a cheap FA Digital Scale, but at a faster pace.

I can load 50 rounds with measured charges in 30 minutes easily. It takes 2 minutes to set up the system and there is no 30 minute warm up time, which I consider to be the deal breaker with electronic dispensers. I am already done when they are just starting, and at typically 20-45 seconds per drop I can beat them everytime. My drops take 10 seconds max!

This is the reason why my Lyman DPS3 is currently for sale.

This device works with any measuring tool you choose to weigh the charge, and at $60 it is well worth the price as you get a PM stand with it.

Randy

I like the looks of this. I saw an ad for the new Hornady Lock-N-Load Quick Trickle Powder Trickler, which piqued my interest. Here's a link: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/428274/hornady-lock-n-load-quick-trickle-powder-trickler

My one concern would be spinning the macro knob on big powder drops. Looks like the RCBS add-on that buchanan references gets the best of both. Quick dump of a traditional powder dump, with built in trickler. I'm going to have to put one on my wishlist.

dale2242
07-26-2016, 08:48 AM
Before I spent nearly $90 on a trickler, I would consider the Auto Charge that dispenses and trickles to .1 gr accuracy...dale