PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot question

richbug
05-23-2008, 09:04 AM
I just started playing with loading buckshot. I am using 9 Lee .311 balls cast of 18BHN alloy. 20 grains of green dot, blue duster wad, AA hulls, fed 209 primers.

My intended use is punching paper, and maybe the occasional vermin in the yard, coons, possums, woodchucks etc.

This seems to be a nice light load, loads easy. My problem is that sometimes 2 balls will stay together in flight, like a snowman. I fired three shots into some aspen to check penetration, and had 5 individual hits, and 2 of the doubles on each shot.

There was virtually no ball deformation on the single hits, but the doubles were smashed together with a flat about ball diameter.

Should I be coating them in graphite or something to keep them from sticking?

45 2.1
05-23-2008, 09:18 AM
I cast mine on a Master caster with a 2 cavity 0.315" mold and water drop them. Wads are very important to patterns, the wads that are split to the cup base produce poorer results. Remington makes one that is split only halfway down which has produced superior results used with PB powder and Ballistic products poly filler in the shotcup around the buckshot. Dip it in and vibrate the shell until no more filler goes in, then crimp it securely. I have tried the steel shot wads which are unsplit and thicker with poor results since they are thicker material and won't accept the balls in a stacked arrangement. They won't turn loose of the buckshot and you get a slug most of the time.

sundog
05-23-2008, 09:35 AM
PSB (powdered shot buffer) works good, but it is pricey. I've been loading with no buffer and it works okay. Since this subject has come up, I wonder if crushed bran (oat, corn, etc) flakes or even oatmeal would work. Methinks it could, and it might be alot cheaper. Whatever is in the kitchen cupboard that is stale, out of date, weevils, whatever.

GabbyM
05-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I always thought the coating on shot was to improve flow through the loading machine.
However thinned Liquid Alox might work. Can't hurt.
What type of choke are you using?

richbug
05-23-2008, 10:21 AM
I always thought the coating on shot was to improve flow through the loading machine.
However thinned Liquid Alox might work. Can't hurt.
What type of choke are you using?

I installed tubes in my 590, so I can use whatever. I had the same results with skeet, SC2, and modified.

There is no flow through my machine(newer 600JR). I have to stack them by hand. Anything larger than #6 requires special attention.

Ricochet
05-23-2008, 03:01 PM
If you load weevilly oatmeal in those shells, think what a surprise the weevils will get on firing! :shock:

DLCTEX
05-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Flour makes a good filler, just keep them dry. Dale

turbo1889
05-24-2008, 04:37 PM
PSB (powdered shot buffer) works good, but it is pricey. I've been loading with no buffer and it works okay. Since this subject has come up, I wonder if crushed bran (oat, corn, etc) flakes or even oatmeal would work. Methinks it could, and it might be alot cheaper. Whatever is in the kitchen cupboard that is stale, out of date, weevils, whatever.

The perfect stuff for low cost buffer for non-demanding loads is known as "Cream of Wheat" or "Farina". Stick to using it with 2-3/4" lighter loads though -- If you start loading highly-demanding loads such as high power 3" or 3-1/2" buck loads then you should use a high-performance non-packing teflon based buffer.

For the lighter stuff though the "Cream of Wheat" or "Farina" works great. It don't pack and spike presures like flower will and makes for some nice patterns. I use the Lee dippers to measure the stuff, and once I got a good load cooked up I write it down in my load book and just say "1 ~ #.#cc dipper of Farina for buffer". Fill a bowl full of the stuff when your loading and just add a measured dipper full to each shell and gently tap it on the side to settle the buffer before you crimp.

GabbyM
05-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Perhaps a slower powder would help? Since if it's not a tight choke fussing your balls together it must be the sudden acceleration.

I used to load 00 back when I was a wild eyed kid. I'd carry a couple in my shooting vest pocket in case we came across a feral animal.

I”d load them in a AA hull by cutting the petals off a standard plastic shot wad. Removing the shot cup was simply to make room for nine 00 buck in a three to a layer arrangement without causing tell tale bulges in the shell. Charged the shell with WW540 using a powder bushing for 1 ¼ oz loads. Nine 00's being quite a bit lighter than 1 ¼ oz, it worked well. Always got decent patterns and can't recall anything ever getting away from the hail of balls.

I do remember getting lead streaks down the bore from shooting swagged buck with no shot cup.

shotman
05-31-2008, 03:15 AM
is there a market for 00 buck i have a mold havent used it in years--before I knew about buffer i used flower but it was like a muzzle loader only white- i went to corn meal it worked good the ball sticking i would coat with graphite or moly shotman

Blammer
05-31-2008, 05:03 PM
I'd be interested in the Buckshot mould

JohnClark7886
06-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I am going to cast 00 and 0000 buckshot. Got about 200 lbs of wheel weights but they are awfully dirty, do I need to clean them up before I melt and flux them or do you just do them as is. Also is there a difference between auto wheel weights and truck wheel weights. I have some of both...