PDA

View Full Version : ruger lcrx 38 special

johnson1942
07-15-2016, 12:55 PM
just bought one with my wife in mind. she loves it and wants to shoot it alot this weekend. daughter likes it also, she is qualified as she took the shooting course in college for her criminal justice class. going to set up a man target at 15 yards and let them blast away. got a ice cream pale half full of reloads i did this winter. they are not harsh and easy to shoot. may have to start saving for another one for my self. any one else enjoy this revolver?

jrayborn
07-15-2016, 01:52 PM
I got the LCR in .22 LR for my wife and that led to the LCR in .327 Fed/Mag for me, which led to the .38Spl+P just because, which is quickly leading me to the LCR in .22 WMR. Good grief.

These are good shooters. Monday I could hit my 12" plate at 50 yards every time I shot at it with the 38 and the 327. Thats saying something because I am not a fantastic pistol shooter. .22LR has a 9-ish pound trigger, the .38 is 8-ish and the .327 is 7-ish. That's a really great trigger for DAO use. I love them and think Ruger will sell many. I strongly recommend these for carry or home defense.

DerekP Houston
07-15-2016, 01:54 PM
LCR 357 magnum with crimson trace was my first impulse purchase at a gun show ;). Still carry it occasionally in an ankle holster when nothing else will conceal well. My wife isn't a huge fan of the snubnose revolvers but loves the crimson trace for at night. Point and shoot for us, just brutal on the hands if we load actual magnum loads. I just shoot 38's mainly.

9.3X62AL
07-15-2016, 03:38 PM
The Ruger LCR-series wheelguns impress me. They may not be the most aesthetically-pleasing arm in appearance that ever saw the light of day, but Glocks aren't real elegant, either. The two examples of the LCR I have fired (both in 38 Special) had NICE triggers and out to 15 yards they shot darn small groups.

johnson1942
07-15-2016, 05:27 PM
fired some rounds and it is very easy to shoot and accurate. you all will laugh at my reload. its 10 grains of blackhorn 209 powder and a 60 thousands thick hard fiber wad and a 370 roundball resized to .358 diam. i push that in the case and roll crimp over the edge. they shoot very well in my two cowboy open tops and they also shoot very good in the ruger. at 15 yards i rocked the 6 inch gong off hand every time . was a lot louder report than in my cowboy revolvers. smacked that gong hard. it would do the job on a bad guy the way it rocked that gong. 50 yards is a tremendous shot, you have a steady hand. recoil was low, bullet doesnt weigh much.

9.3X62AL
07-15-2016, 08:21 PM
Whatever works. I would be inclined more toward W-W or R-P factory +P 158 lead SWC-HP loads myself (the old FBI Recipe), but that's me. Such loads are easy to duplicate at the loading bench to create affordable practice ammo. I run my carry guns at least once a month, just to keep the edges sharp.

I don't think I would like an LCR in 357 Magnum. After try-out with S&W J-frames and the Federal 357B load (125 JHP), I found them to be too little platform for too much cartridge in my big paws. A Ruger SP-101 or S&W Model 13/65 would work well, though--and S&W should re-intro the 3" K-frame 357s most ricky-tick AFAIC. They seem married to the J-frames for this venue, though. Foolish and short-sighted.

johnson1942
07-15-2016, 11:02 PM
the reason i shoot this cowboy load is low recoil, that way my wife will never be afraid of shooting it.

P Flados
07-15-2016, 11:18 PM
Today was my 3rd trip to the range with my new 38+P, 3" barrel, adjustable sight, SA/DA, LCRx. This promises to be one fun little gun that will see lots of use.

The gun was purchased to have a gun that my wife would enjoy shooting.

Long ago, she would occasionally go with me & shoot my 6" Ruger semiauto 22. Her grip strength is not real good now. Last time out (a few years ago) she did not like loading the clips or working the slide. She tried my boy's 6" Dan Wesson with 38's and said it was "way too heavy".

I took her with me on trip #2. I also took a good mix of loads including some loaded down for low recoil. First I started her out with a low recoil load of a 140 gr Lee SWC over 2.8 grs promo (red dot equivalent). No complaints after several cylinders. Then we moved up to 140's with 3.2 promo. She fired all five and said that they were "ok but they hurt more than I like". Then I asked her to try a regular 38 load, Lee 158 gr RN & 3.2 gr Promo. She fired one round and handed the gun back to me. Then she finished off the rest of the 2.8 gr / 140's that I had brought.

After trip #2, I dusted off a long unused Lee 110 gr RN mold that I obtained to support some 380 loading for a friend. Goodness you get a bunch of these little pills out of one pot of lead.

Today I shot the 140 gr / 2.8 gr Promo, the 158 gr / 3.2 gr Promo and a new low recoil load of 110 gr / 3.2 Promo at 35 ft. Even using a sandbag, my performance was suspect. I am used to Contenders and struggled with the short sight radius and stiff SA trigger. However, just counting shots that felt good at hammer drop, all three loads would stay inside my 1.5" square aiming block on the target.

The other good news was zero leading with 30 rounds using BLL lube on the 110s. Although I generally use HF red ASBB PC coating on most all of my boolits, this is likely to be a high volume load and BLL is a LOT easier.

Even though BLL lubed 110 gr boolits over a 2.8 gr charge of promo is one heck of a cheap and easy load, I see little hope of this "saving money". The little gun just seems to beg for such high volumes :razz:

johnson1942
07-16-2016, 09:32 AM
p flados, enjoyed reading your comments. as i said before i bought the gun for my wife to use also for me to go in my pocket on long walks in the country. lots of mountain lions here. my wife has strong hands but my index finger on my right hand is badly injured and i cant work a slide because of it. all of my other fingers are good and strong. i use the middle finger of my right hand for single and double action shooting and it works good that way. as i said before, think i may have to save for another one just for me. my wife is on the road alot and she will take it with her in the car. i looked at a lot of revolvers and this is the only one that fit the bill for us. i did consider a old used colt detective but went with the ruger because it was cheaper. still like those old colt dectives, that was a good one also.

str8wal
07-16-2016, 06:34 PM
any one else enjoy this revolver

Yes, indeed. Mine is the short barreled version. Pretty snappy with fullhouse +P 158's, but 125 handloads are much more fun to shoot. Carries like a dream.

smkummer
08-02-2016, 11:56 AM
I initially loaded a 148 wadcutter cast with 3 grains bullseye for women shooters out of my alloy Colt Cobras and agents. It's also nice out of a steel detective special and police positive. And, I'll admit, I like it too!

FergusonTO35
08-02-2016, 01:17 PM
I like the LCRX but ended up getting an S&W 637 because there are way more grip options and it is just a wee bit smaller.

Mtnfolk75
08-02-2016, 03:26 PM
I have an LCR in 9mm, put a XS Standard Dot Front Sight & Hogue G10 Grip on it. Improved the shootabilty by a bunch. I have been alternating it with a 2.25" SP101 as my EDC in a Mika pocket holster, shoots well with Federal 147 Grain HST's & Barnes 115 Grain +P Tac-XPD's.

waarp8nt
08-02-2016, 10:21 PM
I have carried and shot a Ruger LCRx often. I like the hammer on it for single action use, although I found the double action worked well for me too.

Thinking your on the right track getting the little lady to shoot some mild loads and build some confidence. My wife shot it well with similar loads to cowboy. She prefers the wheel guns to semi-autos. On a side note...my "tough guy" friend is recoil shy and we found that the Hogue Tamer grip suited him well. He bought a S&W 642 and wished he would have tried the LCRx first.

johnson1942
08-03-2016, 08:40 AM
my son stopped in on a way to s.dak from denver for a day. shot the rugger a bunch and fell in love with it. then we drove 30 mile to a big ace hardware to see 4 of them they had. he singled in on the 9mm with no exposed hammer. said he is most likely going to buy it in denver, cheaper than here and give it to his wife to carry. he loads for the 9mm and would load a little lighter for her. he said the feel of the gun, and the trigger and hitting the gong every time sold him on the gun.