PDA

View Full Version : Curious outcome when mixing colors

Walter Laich
07-15-2016, 11:15 AM
I enjoy mixing colors--keeps me happy

I usually start with Smoke's gloss black and add some additional color:
purple gives a dark cherry red
green and you get something close to OD (olive drab; uck--wore that color more than I ever wanted to
and so on.

I find that the black gets used up faster and the color changes as I tumble them
the cherry red gets more purple
OD gets greener

I'm been known to add mult colors to black and then it's anyone's guess what I end up with.

No matter, they all go out the barrel the same.

mannparks
07-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Strangely enough I've been doing the same thing we must be bored
I have discovered this though in mixing smokes p c the colors blend ,but I tried Harbor freight white and smokes red and I get speckled like an Easter egg.

Walter Laich
07-15-2016, 12:15 PM
for me Smoke's powders also pixelate. I have to look closely but they do. Could be the powder is of finer consistency.

My with now has her LTC and she has certain colors that 'are' hers. I'm happy about that. Anything that I can do to make her enjoy shooting is fine with me

Slenk
07-17-2016, 08:39 AM
I have had the same speckled effect with mixing HF . I found that if I run the powder through a fine screen, if make a even coating.

HiVelocity
07-17-2016, 08:53 PM

Try Smoke's "bacon Grease" and a tidge of Gloss Black.

HV

Walter Laich
07-18-2016, 08:21 AM
I like that much better than straight bacon grease.

Dragonheart
07-20-2016, 09:59 AM
Unless you know you are dealing with two identical polymers mixing colors can reduce the cross linking chains that give the polymers their properties.

OS OK
07-20-2016, 11:10 AM
Unless you know you are dealing with two identical polymers mixing colors can reduce the cross linking chains that give the polymers their properties.

I think you just lost about 2/3'rds of the audience Rich...:bigsmyl2:...good to see you out and about.

charlie

Walter Laich
07-20-2016, 01:23 PM

you say that like it's a bad thing :razz:

Dragonheart
07-20-2016, 06:54 PM
The linking is what give the polymer it's ability to bond, hardness, toughness and flexibility. The addition of pigment, other additives are formulated in the lab to enhance certain properties . Those that have been coating for a while know some powders work better than others for a purpose and this is why. Mixing different types of polymers can and usually will alter the end result in an undesirable way. Powder obtained from companies like Prismatic can be identified as to the type of polymer, but powders obtained from other sources HF, EBay, etc. can be anybody's guess. I too have mixed colors, but I mix using the same type of polymer.

Walter Laich
07-20-2016, 07:42 PM
My assumption is that Smoke gets his powder from the same place and therefore they would be compatible.

and I know what making assumptions sometimes results in things blowing up in our faces both figuratively and literally

RogerDat
07-20-2016, 07:54 PM
I like the Jackson Pollack approach. Smoke's gloss black full coat and then a Q-tip to pick up and tap sprinkles of bright colors on top. Then bake in one shot. No mixing. The black is a solid undercoat of powder so I would figure bonding by the black would be good. They get ooh's and aaah's when people check them out. I'm also doing them to 45's that will get loaded as colt rounds. Whole hot 800 fps so not asking much of the PC but to look pretty.