PDA

View Full Version : Midway has Hornady dies on sale

dudel
07-15-2016, 10:29 AM
Hornady handgun dies on sale at Midway for $39.99. I'm starting with 357Sig, and replacing a Lee set in .380 ACP (tired of messing with the Lee dies in the 550b).

With the rebate, I'll get about $30 off (depending on which bullet offer I take) of each set. $10 per die set is a good deal in my book.

flashhole
07-15-2016, 11:30 AM
I got sucked into that deal. Today there is not a single set of Hornady dies on my bench. There are significantly better products on the market.

dudel
07-15-2016, 11:52 AM
I got sucked into that deal. Today there is not a single set of Hornady dies on my bench. There are significantly better products on the market.
Not on my bench.

Hornady when I can get them. RCBS/Dillon here and there. Lee when there's nothing else. If the Lee's don't perform, they get replaced. Never had to replace a Hornady, RCBS, Dillon or Lyman in 30 years of reloading.

YMMV.

Beagle333
07-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Cool. Thanks! I need to replace some Lee's myself.

Rockzilla
07-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Thanks may get a set or two, use mainly RCBS, Dillon, Redding, CH4D set of TiN .223 dies (love-em, little costly)

-Rock

troyboy
07-15-2016, 05:35 PM
I think it is one of the best deals going. So, Flashole what was wrong with your dies?

Ranger 7
07-15-2016, 06:02 PM
Been using Hornady dies for 34 years, never a problem,!
Also, Hornady 5 stage progressive press and Balance Beam scale.
Work great for me.

r1kk1
07-15-2016, 06:24 PM
I use Dillon for pistol dies that they make. They are easy to clean. Pull a clip and the innards fall out. Unfortunately Dillon doesn't have that many different calibers. I use Forster for rifle and they too don't make a ton of different calibers. Lee doesn't either and I don't own but a couple dies of theirs. Redding makes quite a few rifle dies I like but since I shoot wildcats, proprietary and obsolete cartridges I reach for RCBS and CH4D and to a lesser extent Hornady. I have a 500 Linebaugh and three companies make dies for it but there is a caveat: Hornady and CH4D make these dies in 7/8" while RCBS are 1" dies. Weird. I may only have around 30 sets of Hornady dies. They work well and I even have a taper crimp die for the 500 Linebaugh from Hornady as well as the roll crimp die. I just use the taper crimp die for it. The rest of the Hornady's are for wildcats.

I have two things I don't like about Hornady dies are they are minor nuisances: the zip spindle and the separate expanding die which is one piece and hard to clean but I use an ultrasonic cleaner on the die.

I wish Dillon made more different pistol calibers. I wish Redding and Forster made more rifle calibers. I hate everyone's lockrings but Hornady and Forster. Now to see if they have any dies I need that are on sale.

take care

r1kk1

Carrier
07-15-2016, 07:39 PM
I only have 6 Hornady dies and they have worked good. Like r1kk1 said about the zip spindle and the expanding die but there are many other things that annoy me much more. But all my other dies have Hornady lock rings now.

tstowater
07-15-2016, 10:22 PM
I looked hard at the Hornady dies today. Couldn't pull the trigger. I use a Dillon and have buying Dillon handgun dies as they just work. I need 3 or 4 additional sets that are all offered by Dillon so it is just a matter of buying them. Keeping my eye on S&S for the ones I need. I do need a set of 327 Federal dies that aren't offered by Dillon. Maybe Hornady offers them and I will take a look.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk