PDA

View Full Version : Accurate No.2

Buckeye357
07-15-2016, 08:15 AM
I have never used Accurate No. 2 and always wanted to try it but had hard time finding any the last three years but my local gun shop finally had some . I have used a lot of Accurate No. 5 for loading 158gr. LSWC for my mid power 357 magnum loads and really like the loads I have developed. I wanted to give No. 2 a try for very light to light 357 mag target loads . I looked at No. 2 burn rate and it falls in between WST, Trail Boss - Win 231,Unique rates, fast but not Bullseye,700X fast. I looked at my loading manuals and didn't find much info for loading with lead bullets. I did find some info in an 2002 Accurate guide for158 gr LSWC for both 357 magnum and 38 special 5.2-5.8 grs for 357 and 3.6 - 4 grs for 38 I also found a few loads in the June issue of Handloader for 155 gr lead. I loaded up two different loads for light target shooting, 1= 158 gr MBC Hi-Tek .38 Match bullets,4.7 grs Accurate No 2,with WSP primers Load 2 = same components but a 5.3 gr charge of No.2. I would like some suggestions and wisdom with Accurate No 2 used for 357 mag loadings, I use Trail Boss now for my light 357 mag target loads and like it but it also is hard to find at times . The revolver I shot the most is a S&W 66-8 and sometimes use a 6" Python or a 4" 13-2 .Thanks for any help.

MT Gianni
07-15-2016, 06:46 PM
I have never used it in 357 but like 4 gr and a 150-160 gr bullet in 38 special.

Buckeye357
07-16-2016, 08:40 AM
Thanks Montana. Looks like not a lot of people using No.2 for light 357 mag loads. I'll soldier on because as with most reloaders we like trying different components and testing loads to find that perfect combination. I like shooting 38 special powered loads with 357 brass because I have a lot of that brass on hand. It's always a good idea to have options when reloading supplies are hard to find. I liked the way Accurate No. 2 metered through my old Lyman 55 , now I have to make some time to shot what I have loaded.

runfiverun
07-16-2016, 10:29 AM
just give accurate a call.
they have a ton of data they haven't published and are usually super helpful.
their powders have been real stable for me [even when going off the reservation with some of it]
reducing loads and even using a too slow powder for the application has worked pretty well.

bedbugbilly
07-16-2016, 09:14 PM
I have two containers of it that I got when powder was short but I've never used it - it's on my "to try and do list". :-) I remember that the the fellow I bought it from at the gun shop said he used it all the time and loved it out of his 38s. I usually use BE, RD or Unique and have plenty of them so just haven't broken the seal on the No. 2 yet.

Once you get going with your loads, I hope you'll post how you like it and how it's working for you as I'd be interested in hearing your experience with it.

cherokeetracker
07-17-2016, 10:29 AM
A BIG +1 on what runfiverun said. I have called accurate and they will give you plenty of data that is not online or in books. Two things I have experienced with #2 is that it is pretty dirty in some applications. The other thing is ( and I like ) is the low flash benefit. W231 is the same (low flash) Let me say that I use it for a 45 ACP load with the Barnes 185 grain bulet. It is very good, because of the recoil factor. #2 has been used several times in the shorter barreled pistols. EX: My Kimber 1911 is one of the 3" barreled versions. With the above load it shoots POA and does not hammer the gun. This is important in the short barreled 1911's. The 5" versions can handle hotter loads. You do not have to go real light to enjoy the attributes of AA#2 Give Accurate a call.

Buckeye357
07-17-2016, 11:02 AM
A BIG +1 on what runfiverun said. I have called accurate and they will give you plenty of data that is not online or in books. Two things I have experienced with #2 is that it is pretty dirty in some applications. The other thing is ( and I like ) is the low flash benefit. W231 is the same (low flash) Let me say that I use it for a 45 ACP load with the Barnes 185 grain bulet. It is very good, because of the recoil factor. #2 has been used several times in the shorter barreled pistols. EX: My Kimber 1911 is one of the 3" barreled versions. With the above load it shoots POA and does not hammer the gun. This is important in the short barreled 1911's. The 5" versions can handle hotter loads. You do not have to go real light to enjoy the attributes of AA#2 Give Accurate a call.

Thanks cherokeetracker and runfiverun . I also load for 45 ACP thanks for help, dirty doesn't bother me part of shooting . I will give Accurate a call.

jimb16
07-17-2016, 11:16 PM
Look for the Western Powders new loading data booklet. It has a ton of AA2 data in a lot of different calibers. I picked up a copy at the NRA annual mtg and have been going through it the last couple of days. There is data for calibers that I've never seen AA2 listed for!

Buckeye357
07-18-2016, 02:12 PM
I was able to shoot this morning, 50 rounds each at 25 yards with the pistol supported by a sandbag rest. I was pleased with the groups and loads had more snap than I expected. I don't have a chronograph so I can't state any velocity numbers . The cases from both loads were clean and the barrel had very little powder residue or crud , I ran one patch with Hoppe's through barrel and it cleaned almost every thing out on the first pass.I liked the feel of 4.7 gr load and the 5.3gr load wasn't harsh either. I will load more in the 3.6 -4.5gr range and see what happens with groups and what the inside of barrel looks like.

Buckeye357
07-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Here's some pictures,not the best groups I have shot . I was happy with performance of powder so far . I have a good starting point now it's time to reload.