PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Blachawk Recoil

Art in Colorado
07-14-2016, 08:49 PM
I have always had the Ruger's Bisley grip frame for all the Rugers I had in the past. Currently have a 45 Colt/45 ACP in the srainless 5.5 inch Bisley and a 44 Special Flat Top with the Bisley grip frame and have no issues with recoil. I have never cared for the recoil of the 44 Mag with the other grip frame. I have not minded the recoil of the 357 in the non Bisley grip frame. Now the question I have is I am considering the 45 Colt/45ACP Flat Top and am wondering how the recoil of that Flat Top with the ACP cylinder compares with the same size Flat Top in 357? I would not use the Colt chambering since I am quit happy with the 45 Colt I have now. I would appreciate any responses from any one with this experience.

ReloaderFred
07-14-2016, 10:04 PM
I've got a couple of the .45 Colt/.45 acp Blackhawks, and I don't find them uncomfortable to shoot with full load .45 acp ammunition at all. One of them is used almost exclusively with .45 acp, since it so darned accurate shooting them.

I've put Altamont grips on most of my Blackhawks, since they're thicker than factory and fit my hand better.

http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/ruger/#Ruger_blackhawk.php

I like the Super Rosewood:

http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/shared/photos_medium/RV-CP05-L01-FL.jpg
Super Rosewood ($38.00)

Hope this helps.

Fred

DougGuy
07-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Both flattops are medium frame guns, a little lighter and slimmer than full size blackhawks. The .45 ACP is much lower pressure at 21,000psi than the .357 magnum so it should shoot quite a bit "softer" as the old timers would say it. They used to say the 38-40 shot a good bit "harder" than the .45 Colt so I expect the recoil of the .357 to be a little more pronounced. I can't imagine someone needing a Bisley grip frame only shooting .45 ACP rounds. It ought to be right comfortable to shoot as is!

Blackwater
07-14-2016, 10:40 PM
Fred, I think you just sold a couple of sets of grips! Thanks!

ReloaderFred
07-15-2016, 12:48 AM
Blackwater,

They make grips for both the New Model Blackhawks and the Flat Top Blackhawks, so be sure to order the ones for your pistols. I just ordered two pair for my .44 Special Flat Tops, which they say is the XR3 grip frame. I've already got them on all my other New Model Blackhawks, and they make a huge difference in my hand.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Art in Colorado
07-15-2016, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the replys. I will go ahead and get one of them. Art

44man
07-15-2016, 08:19 AM
I never liked the Bisley because of my hands and huge knuckle, there is just no room for it.
I hate the square trigger guard on the SBH but I put pachs on them. I can shoot the hog leg with twice the accuracy of the Bisley. Most likely from trying to get away from the guard. I have had blood flying from some of those things.
Smaller frames do recoil more and I have shot .357's and 41's far worse then any .44.
I started the .44 in 1956 with the flat top and shot heavy loads with no problems. But when a guard becomes a cigar cutter, something has to get changed.

w5pv
07-15-2016, 08:20 AM
Nice looking grips.

MT Gianni
07-15-2016, 06:48 PM
If it doesn't fit my hands I can't shoot it well. What works for me may not work for you, experiment with grips. I have no trouble with Blackhawk or Super Bhwk recoil.

Blackwater
07-15-2016, 08:17 PM
Fred, thanks again, and I'm very aware of the different grip frames. Already ordered 2 grip sets for my NMBH's, and they were for the XR-3 Red frame (redesigned after the lawsuit). Had to send them back. Sad, because they were really lovely grips. Lovely doesn't make up for not fitting, though. Again, thanks. I'll be getting a pair of sets for my .357 and .44. Saves me from having to make them myself, I hope.

charlie b
07-20-2016, 10:01 AM
I had the same problem with recoil on the .45 colt blackhawk. Using standard .45 Colt or ACP loads it was fine. But, ramp it up at all and I got blood on the frame. Big hands, big knuckles. I would have put the rubber grips on it, but, they were just too ugly so I sold it.

kungfustyle
07-20-2016, 10:34 AM
+1 with the Altamont grips. I have a set on my SBH and want to a set for my S&W. Good looking grips for a great price.

44man
07-20-2016, 10:43 AM
I had the same problem with recoil on the .45 colt blackhawk. Using standard .45 Colt or ACP loads it was fine. But, ramp it up at all and I got blood on the frame. Big hands, big knuckles. I would have put the rubber grips on it, but, they were just too ugly so I sold it.
I love ugly because most of the beautiful grips do not shoot. Now a good set of wood target grips that fit are just super. I love wood more then anyone so put them on for show but shoot what works. Deer do not look at your gun. It is just a screw for mouth watering or shooting.

charlie b
07-20-2016, 11:48 AM
LOL, yep. When I 'show off' my Python I put the original grips on it. When I go shoot the Hogue grips are on it. :)

PS the stock grips shoot fine, but, if not wearing gloves, the checkering grinds the skin off your hands :)

ReloaderFred
07-20-2016, 12:12 PM
I received the two pairs of Altamont grips yesterday that I ordered last week. They both fit my New Model Flat Top .44 Special Blackhawks perfectly, and feel much better in my hand than the thin factory grips. And they're pretty, too!

Hope this helps.

Fred

ReloaderFred
07-20-2016, 12:16 PM
I just did an inventory of my grips, and I've got 4 sets of new Altamont grips in the box for New Model Blackhawks from a previous order. Now I'm going to have to buy 4 more Blackhawks to fill those grips!

Fred

str8wal
07-21-2016, 11:09 AM
I installed a 45 ACP cylinder in my Bisley and the recoil is minimal. Nowhere near that of the 357 magnum. It shoots a good bit higher than my 45 Colt loads, which kind of defeats the original purpose of the exercise, but is accurate.

Blackwater
07-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Well, I finally got my round tuit to order 2 sets. Will likely order some more if these work out, and I'm sure they will. Can't wait to get them! I hate those sharp checkered factory plastic grips that come on the new Flat Tops. I guess I'm getting sensitive in my old age? Love smooth grips on any single action. Got a set of rosewood and imi. ivory. I think the grandboys will love them. You guys regularly cost me money, ya' know that doancha'? [smilie=l:

MT Gianni
07-22-2016, 10:55 PM
For those bothered by recoil get a pair of thin leather or mechanics gloves. Cut off the trigger finger, then cut off all other fingers just past the first joint. Wear them to shoot. I bought a pair of PAST recoil proof gloves for a lot of $$ 20 + years ago and they are still going strong. If you bark your knuckles or blister your palms treat a gun as if you were using rope. You would not grab a rope barehanded to spin and pull under load, why a handgun? Your groups will probably thank you.

charlie b
07-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Yep, gun rotates nicely in the hand and the trigger guard hits the finger. Or, on really heavy loads the gun tended to go straight back and rotate, worst of both. That's why the SBH trigger guard was invented. :) My groups were very good with that gun and with std .45Colt loads it was a pussycat to shoot.

With my fat knuckles there wasn't room for leather gloves with the BH trigger guard and std grips. Maybe leather driving gloves would have been thin enough, but, they would not have provided any protection either.

9.3X62AL
07-23-2016, 10:19 AM
My Blackhawks get Pachmayr-ed very soon after they arrive here. The Bisley grips fit pretty well for me (I have them in 357 Mag and 45 Colt so far), and thin gloves like Gianni describes help with ANY sideiron. With my Redhawk headed to my daughter in Los Anchorage, a BisHawk in 44 Mag may have to fill some space in the safe. I do like those BisHawks a lot. They are my idea of a hunting and field revolver.

My subjective impression of 45 ACP recoil in the Blackhawk convertibles I have owned and fired......pretty docile, less than 357 Mag by a significant degree. All-day loads.