PDA

View Full Version : Powder Flask Lid Screws Needed

oldracer
07-14-2016, 08:42 PM
I dropped one of the small (very) screws that hold the top on my powder flask lid and can not find it. I have dropped one before but always was able to find it but not this time! I did a search on line but no luck so does anyone know what size they are and if they are available anywhere? The size would be okay as I am afraid to take one out so I can measure it!!!!!

pietro
07-14-2016, 09:16 PM

Have you tried the customer service departments of Track of the Wolf and/or Dixie Gun Works ?

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/

https://dixiegunworks.com/

Maven
07-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Been there, or! I used electricians tape on both the brass flask top and flask to hold things together and stop powder leakage until I could find replacement screws. What I ultimately did was use larger, hardware store screw to hold the lid to the flask, which had other problems, e.g., split seams, and thus had little to lose if I buggered it up.

oldracer
07-14-2016, 11:25 PM
I tried them but that part was closed so I plan to try tomorrow. I have looked at several miniature screw stores on line so I guess they are available?

dondiego
07-15-2016, 08:13 AM
Maybe try a jeweler who works on pocket watches?

mooman76
07-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Was it the small or the large flask?

oldracer
07-15-2016, 10:43 AM
I imagine it would be a large one? I have had it for years and don't remember who made it even, the dimensions are: 0.112 diameter, 0.120 length with a straight slot.

DrDucati
07-15-2016, 09:11 PM
I fear losing them as well, so that I bought a CVA flask that has an easy, twist-on lid. The screws are too much PITA.

freedom475
07-16-2016, 11:51 AM
There is (usually) no reason to ever remove those screws unless the valve gate needs repair. Repairing the valve is kind of a "lost-cause" cause they are press fit. Much tinkering will have it fully broke in no time.:mrgreen:

Powder filling is much faster and more easily accomplished by just using a powder funnel over the spout and holding the gate open with your thumb:drinks:

The last replacement head that Dixie sent me was not even drillled or tapped for those little screws...so I just Barged it on!:([smilie=b:

mooman76
07-16-2016, 04:12 PM
I have a funnel that screws into the flask in place of the spout. Makes it real easy.

Geezer in NH
07-17-2016, 04:29 PM
I have a funnel that screws into the flask in place of the spout. Makes it real easy.And mine holds it open also!!

oldracer
07-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Well anyways, I found some very small screws in my large nuts and bolts box and although they have a head the threads are the same so I replaced the other two. These are plated so they should show up better if I drop one in the future although it took me 8 years to drop this one!

dondiego
07-18-2016, 11:22 AM
I have never taken mine out of the several flasks I own. Just refill with a funnel.

oldracer
07-18-2016, 11:53 AM
I might have to get me one of those funnels. I guess it screws into the hole when the spout is unscrewed?

dondiego
07-18-2016, 03:30 PM
I have used a small plastic one that fits in the hole and holds the valve open. I also found one threaded to fit the flask and it is very useful too. Brass is getting expensive but sometimes I see them in grab bags and sometimes used ones at gunshows. Check out the plastic ones first.

Omnivore
07-18-2016, 06:59 PM
I've never removed a flask lid. Nor do I ever use a funnel to fill a flask. I stick the flask spout into the powder can spout, invert, and open the two valves. When full, close valves, invert again, open powder can valve to dump contents of spout into can. Done. Not one granule spilled, and it's all done before you can find your screwdriver. That's with the Goex type can with screw-on metal valve.

With the plastic spout that fits on Pyrodex bottles, the process is similar but since you have only the valve on the flask, you control everything with that. It's actually simpler.

SSGOldfart
07-18-2016, 07:16 PM
I dropped one of the small (very) screws that hold the top on my powder flask lid and can not find it. I have dropped one before but always was able to find it but not this time! I did a search on line but no luck so does anyone know what size they are and if they are available anywhere? The size would be okay as I am afraid to take one out so I can measure it!!!!!
I don't have a clue what size it is but I bet it's the very fine little brass screw shoot me your address I have a couple extra if you want one

SSGOldfart
07-18-2016, 07:20 PM
A old Ketchup bottle works great for fillings the flask,I us one as a flask for Range work.

Geezer in NH
07-18-2016, 11:29 PM
JB Weld. Then wipe the excess off. Now use a funnel to fill

bedbugbilly
07-19-2016, 02:37 PM
I'm just curious why you guys are taking the heads off your flasks? In over 50 years of shooting BP I have never removed a flask head nor needed to. It's like anything else - check the screws once in a while to make sure they are in tight.

They make a funnel that screws in when the spout is screwed out and off. All I've ever don is take a sheet of paper, roll it in to a cone, tape it and snip the end off . . . walla! You have a funnel. I finally got lazy a couple of years ago and bought a couple of the brass tube flasks that have the screw on bottoms - much easier to fill!

I doubt very much if our ancestors ever removed the heads of their flasks . . . and they probably filled them the same way as a powder horn - through the spout in most cases unless the end plug on the horn had a screw out strap holder. Hold the valve open, stick a paper funnel in the end of the spout and carefully fill.

Omnivore
07-19-2016, 05:03 PM
If I lost my screws (and they'd have to fall out on their own because I'd ever intentionally remove them) then I'd solder the cap in place. No more screws, no more problem. And I don't have to tell you to remove the powder before you take a torch to the flask, right? Nor do I have to tell you to remove all traces of flux by rinsing thoroughly, right? Brass on copper is the easiest soldering you'll ever do. Use liquid flux.

bedbugbilly has a good point; most of my powder horns don't have removable sections. They fill through the neck. People have been doing this for hundreds of years without issue. Futzing with tiny screws is for musical instrument technicians, clock makers and optometrists.