View Full Version : Lyman 313445 - Samples castings of both versions wanted

square butte
07-14-2016, 08:25 PM
Working on a mold project and would like to acquire some sample castings ( 5-10 ) from both versions of the Lyman 313445 mold - Both the Full diameter front drive band, And reduced diameter versions. Or should anyone happen to have a copy of either of these molds that you are no longer using and may wish to part with - I would certainly be interested. PM me if you want. Very happy to pay freight and cost on any samples. I appreciate any assistance that anyone may offer. Thanks, Tom

Guesser
07-15-2016, 11:05 AM
I've been using the full diameter design for some time. This is the first I've heard of a different design, same number variation. Where is it pictured and discussed, please?

square butte
07-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Guesser - Thanks for your reply. I found reference to it and photos when I used the search function here and typed in "Lyman 313445". I don't know how to put up a link for the exact thread - But if you do a quick perusal of what show's up you will find it. If you can't seem to find it , I will try and hunt it up again for you. Glad to chat with another fellow Montana type. My wife is from there and I spent most of my Forest Service career on the Flathead NF - Just across the river from Glacier Park.

square butte
07-15-2016, 01:42 PM
Guesser - The info is in a thread you started, entitled "Wide Front Drive Band" - in Post #10. The poster { Mk42gunner ) says he has a version/copy of the 313445 with a front drive band a few thousandths under full bore

Mk42gunner
07-15-2016, 04:50 PM
square butte, I haven't cast from mine in a few years, but I think I still have some on the shelf. PM me your address and I will get a sample of the small drive band version in the mail to you.

I was on the verge of selling this mold until I got my first I frame. It shoots well enough in it that I will keep the mold, even though it is a PITA to cast from. I used 2.5 grains of Red Dot in the .32 S&W Long.

I don't remember the dimensions, but I was sizing and lubing with a .313" die when this was my only light 32 mold. I know I used it in the .32 H&R, .30-30, and 7.62x39 before I got other easier to cast from molds.

Robert

Guesser
07-15-2016, 05:45 PM
different driving band. I see the terms "width" and "diameter" use; seemingly interchangeably. Confuses me!!! What is the difference we are looking for: width....top to bottom; or diameter as in radius twice?

square butte
07-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks Robert - I really appreciate it - PM on the way

square butte
07-15-2016, 06:05 PM
Guesser - I think it's diameter of the front drive band ( As in side to side - Caliper across the outside of the band ). That is, unless I am confused myself. Always a possibility at 64

Guesser
07-15-2016, 10:58 PM
I just mic'd one of my 313445 boolits. The bearing surface mics .3135, using a Lyman sizing die in a RCBS Lubsizer. The front driving band mics .303 diameter using a 0-1" micrometer. Mine are cast soft, less than 10 BHN using my Cabin Tree test set. These boolits were cast last year and sized during last winter.

Mk42gunner
07-15-2016, 11:28 PM
different driving band. I see the terms "width" and "diameter" use; seemingly interchangeably. Confuses me!!! What is the difference we are looking for: width....top to bottom; or diameter as in radius twice?

Diameter. The one I have has a few thousandths smaller diameter front driving band, I have read of others where the front driving band is the same diameter as the rest of the bullet.

square butte
07-16-2016, 10:40 AM
double post delete

square butte
07-16-2016, 10:48 AM
This is getting interesting. Would like to see each of them side by side. Any chance both of them are the same? - Just confusion of terminology for bullet parts. I see in another thread titled "Ideal 313445 " a poster named "NoZombies" also confirms two versions - And that he has owned both. He says in one version the portion of the bullet forward of the crimp groove is full diameter - while the other version has a diameter of .005 -.007 smaller than full size, in the portion of the bullet just north of the crimp groove. Looks like it has been discussed before in other threads. All the more reason to have samples of both for consideration for a final design.

Shepherd2
07-17-2016, 07:22 AM
I have the mould where the diameter is a few thousands smaller in front of the driving band. I didn't measure the diameters but the difference is apparent.

square butte
07-17-2016, 08:16 AM
I am betting that is the more common version - But I could be wrong. Any samples would be greatly appreciated - Even one or two

square butte
07-22-2016, 10:16 AM
Thank you Sir - Robert for the samples. Mailing cost on the way to you. Still looking for a sample of the full diameter front end version.

Mk42gunner
07-22-2016, 12:45 PM
Those should be ACWW with a BHN of around 12.5, unless I am sorely mistaken. WW were about all I cast with then.

Robert

mattw
06-03-2019, 10:30 PM
I have ended up with one of these, got to try it this weekend.
Driving bands and lube bands = .3155
Front driving band = .312
Reduced nose = .304 - 305
Cherry number = 960
These were cast with COWW + 2% pewter.