PDA

View Full Version : Glock PC bullet test

mannparks
07-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Recovered 45 ACP 200 grain and 230 grain also 9 mm 124 grain both shot from Glock's ,stock barrel very good performance and no leading.
Smokes red

Coopaloop86
07-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Nice! This puts my mind at ease about shooting coated boolits through my glocks, figured they were ok but being a paranoid person every little reinforcement helps. Thanks for the update!

Dogbear
07-15-2016, 12:00 AM
I've shot 10,000 rounds plus of coated bullets through the factory barrels on four Glocks (9mm, 10mm, 45ACP) with absolutely no issues. Multiple colors and types of PC. HF Red gets used a lot because it's cheap. Pistol clean up is easy.

fcvan
07-18-2016, 03:27 AM
I shot thousands of lubed lead rounds through a Glock 22 before I was told Lead and Glocks don't mix. Please don't tell my Glocks, they don't know. Properly loaded rounds (sized, lubed correctly) don't lead guns.

flash forward, I've been shooting PCd boolits through a lot of Global CDs, 9 mm and 40, without any issues. I haven't lubed a pistol or rifle boolit in 4 years. PC is the way to go!

Walter Laich
07-18-2016, 12:03 PM
PC does cure a lot of ills: bullet diameter larger, no leading, less filling, tastes great!

WebMonkey
07-18-2016, 04:37 PM
Crisp and clean with no caffeine, er, leading.
;)

Smoke4320
07-18-2016, 04:42 PM
bright and shiny like a newborns hiney

emorris
07-18-2016, 09:57 PM
And no more scraping bullet lube form the case mouth after loading!

Coopaloop86
07-18-2016, 10:19 PM
I shot some 9mm pc boolits out of my glock 17 and 26 that another member threw into a box I got in a trade. After 50 rounds there was zero leading, so I went ahead and ordered some Hi-tek (seemed a little more simple). I don't see me lubing any more boolits in the future when I can just bake a whole batch and be done with it, much cleaner too.

mannparks
07-19-2016, 11:49 AM
bright and shiny like a newborns hiney
Boy are some of you guys bored

Dragonheart
07-20-2016, 09:28 AM
When you properly powder coat you are in all respects shooting jacketed bullets. A jacket is not just made of copper.

Phantom30
07-23-2016, 08:37 AM
For Pistol applications using HiTek or BBDT is totally acceptable and prevents leading. What I don't get is this fascination with Glock. As I understand it, the barrel only partially supports the casing so after firing you need a bulge buster to fix them and then they are compromised for reuse in a Glock. Seems like any committed reloader would choose something else. I own 15 or so Springfield XD types and all shoot extremely well and don't screw up the brass.

blikseme300
07-23-2016, 11:12 AM
I'm not a Glock hater but they just don't grab my attention like the old school JMB designs that I grew up with. They work well and have their place like any other tool in a toolbox. I like to annoy the fanboys with this though:

43PU
07-23-2016, 11:27 AM
My Glocks have never had a single round of copper bullets through them, (19G3, 21G4, 43G4, 34G4, 35G4,) and i bet i have shot over 200,000 rounds through all of them combined. I even had a guy get up and move away from me at the range when he saw i was shooting lead bullets in a glock barrel. He told me i was an idiot and i will get killed. I have never seen where glock has came out and said no lead bullets... i have seen no RE MANUFACTURED ammo, but not no lead

43pu

Echd
07-23-2016, 11:32 AM
For Pistol applications using HiTek or BBDT is totally acceptable and prevents leading. What I don't get is this fascination with Glock. As I understand it, the barrel only partially supports the casing so after firing you need a bulge buster to fix them and then they are compromised for reuse in a Glock. Seems like any committed reloader would choose something else. I own 15 or so Springfield XD types and all shoot extremely well and don't screw up the brass.

The problem is you understand it incorrectly. There is a spectrum of "chamber support" and glocks have less support than some but plenty to be safe and reliable. Any bulges can be easily corrected while resizing and handgun brass lives just as long with glocks as other handguns.

And if it bothers people, aftermarket barrels are cheap and just drop in.

XDS are great guns too but a lot of the stuff surrounding glocks is just Gunshow rumors. Many, many, many recreational and competition shooters use box stock glocks without issue.

garym1a2
07-23-2016, 12:20 PM
I have good load with both convental cast and powder coat in my aftermarket G22 and G35 barrels in both 9mm and 40SW.
The only case failure I ever had was in my G35,GEN4 factory barrel. Both my Glock 40's factory barrels lead up easy.

My G19 and G21SF dont have these problems and run factory barrels.

Dragonheart
07-23-2016, 12:58 PM

I will attempt to honestly answer your question. I own about 6 Glock handguns and have owned others, but the Glock is not my favorite handgun, so there is no love affair.

First when the Glock was first introduced in the USA back in the 80's it was the first and only striker fired handgun in existence. The design was revolutionary to say the least, there was just nothing like it. When I first took a Glock apart, which the ease was revolutionary, I like most, couldn't understand how it even worked. Additionally, the Glock utilized the first polymer frame with few inexpensive internal parts, a lack of a safety and a trigger system never seen before.

But Glock's the greatest assets was it's functionality. The gun would shoot and shoot and shoot. Drop it in the mud it would shoot, drop it off a building and it wouldn't discharge, but pick it up and it would shoot. In military trials the Glock fired continuously in excess of 150,000 rounds without a malfunction; no other handgun even came close to this kind of dependability. Yes, the Glock was absolutely the ugliest pistol I had ever seen, but it was accurate, held and unbelievable 17 rounds of 9 mm and never malfunctioned. Reliability is what created the craze for the Glock's.

I personally prefer 1911's and now there are numerous handgun choices utilizing various striker fired designs; my favorite is the 5" Walther PPQ, but all the choices you see today wouldn't be there if there hadn't been a Glock. As far as Glock the still shoot every time.

As far as bulged cases they come from other handguns as well, but it is an easy fix as I bulge bust every case I pick up because I end up with cases that get mixed into mine at our range.

Phantom30
07-25-2016, 08:49 AM
As far as bulged cases they come from other handguns as well, but it is an easy fix as I bulge bust every case I pick up because I end up with cases that get mixed into mine at our range.

Yes that's was my concern, the brass thickness has changed over time and it is getting thinner. Some spent 45 ACP Winchester you could crush the mouth with your finger tips. So the bulge is really weakening the cases further. Yes bulge busting does work but.... I use to carry an issue 45 along with my CAR-15. Never liked the flat grip. The XD Springfield's just fit my short stubby fingers better and the chambered and cocked indicators are really quite useful to know the status of your weapon in the middle of the night with no lights on. Plus it has a better safety system than the Glock. You are quite correct that it has changed the industry. Unfortunately the powers to be have gone with the M9, although the COPS have embraced the Glock with open wallets. And they also get to use the devastator deep HP bullets and are not restricted to FMJ.

PS RP talked about using 100F-105F to pre heat and remove your and my gulf coast humidity, may be that's temperature range where the preheat technique has utility. Just set them on top of the oven while it is preheating as suggested earlier.