PDA

View Full Version : Feedback Needed on BPM Hand Press.

W.R.Buchanan
07-14-2016, 05:03 PM
OK guys: These tools have been out in the world for about 2 months now and I assume most of you have actually reloaded some ammo or at least used to tool for something other than a paper weight.

I have received no feedback other than first impressions when the tools arrived at their new owners.

I would really like to hear your honest impressions of using the tool, and how they are working for you.

I built these tools to be used and I value your feedback and any suggestions you may have.

I know some of you have only sat your tool on the mantle to gaze at, and if that is the case, how is it working in that capacity?

Let me know if this thing is doing it's job.

Randy

Guardian
07-14-2016, 06:13 PM
Well, press number 5 currently sits in its box waiting for me to find time to use it. Press number 45 has been given to my father to get him processing brass in his "spare" time. We've both oohed and aahed at them several times, but that's as far as we've made it.

dtknowles
07-14-2016, 06:43 PM
I don't even know what you are talking about, how about a link or photo and data?

Tim

Chris C
07-14-2016, 06:46 PM
Post #120

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?69232-Priming-With-Lee-Loader-Any-Accidental-Discharges&p=3710176#post3710176

MrWolf
07-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Mine is boxed up until after the divorce and I move to a different state. Maybe sometime next year.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
07-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Mine resides in the box too. Just dont have much free time. Brownells gonna pick these up?

dtknowles
07-14-2016, 09:23 PM
Oh, nice I am sure. Not what I was expecting.

Tim

dragon813gt
07-14-2016, 09:38 PM
Been really busy w/ work and family. I plan on making a small reloading kit that I can take to hotels w/ me. I've used the press a few times. It's smooth operating and works really well. I should have time tomorrow to give it a try. Need to FL size a small batch of 357 Sig brass.

HawkCreek
07-14-2016, 11:12 PM
OK guys: These tools have been out in the world for about 2 months now and I assume most of you have actually reloaded some ammo or at least used to tool for something other than a paper weight.

I have received no feedback other than first impressions when the tools arrived at their new owners.

I would really like to hear your honest impressions of using the tool, and how they are working for you.

I built these tools to be used and I value your feedback and any suggestions you may have.

I know some of you have only sat your tool on the mantle to gaze at, and if that is the case, how is it working in that capacity?

Let me know if this thing is doing it's job.

Randy

I've only tried mine on the .30-06 but so far it's done a wonderful job. It really wasn't difficult at all to full length resize .30-06 brass with the BPM Hand press. Might have been a wee bit slower (but not much) than my RockChucker but it is much more convenient to use (meaning it can be used just about anywhere).

Definitely not any more difficult to set up the dies in this press than a conventional bench mounted press.

My initial loads were hovering right around 1.25MOA out of an 1895 SRC (Miroku). I didnt think that was bad at all for some general beginner loads. With the hand press I'll be able to take my reloading to the range and get load tweaks figured out on the spot.

My only issue I had was the length, I was running out of room to fit those long 220 grain bullets on top of a .30-06 case. Of course it was quickly pointed out that if I would have removed the spent primer catch I'd have gained plenty of room (duh!).

I soon hope to begin reloading for both .45 Colt and 10mm Auto. I think the BPM hand press will absolutely shine for handgun calibers. As easy as it was to FL size .30-06 brass, pistol caliber brass will be a breeze.

Wayne Smith
07-15-2016, 07:41 AM
All I've used mine for so far is depriming a bunch of 45ACP and 9.3x57 cases with a universal deprime die. Worked well for that, but there is a trick to taking off the primer catcher without spilling a bunch! Did that about four times and got it down.

W.R.Buchanan
07-15-2016, 02:31 PM
Hawk Creek and Wayne,,, this is exactly what I'm looking for.... I would hope others would come forward and post their impressions of the using the tool as well.

I talked to Brian Pearce today and he is using the tool to load some ammo and will have a review of the tool sometime in the future in either Handloader or Rifle Magazine.

I also was pretty disappointed with Brownell's who supposedly decided not to carry the tool as they are too busy taking on the Lee line of tools and competing directly with Midway and every other Retail Outfit in America, and have lost the sample I sent them!!!

I don't even think they actually looked at the tool or used it in any way. I informed them in my normal very precise tone that if they didn't find it and send it back,,, I would be Invoicing them for the tool.

I might add,,, That invoice will be going directly to Pete Brownell with a pretty scathing letter of complaint. I consider their actions on this matter to be the height of rudeness!

We are currently working on a website and this and my other products will be sold there which will work out fine as word gets around.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
07-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Wayne: As far as removing the Primer Catcher. With the tool sitting on a table run the Shuttle all the way down,,, Grab the Primer Catcher with one hand and push one of the handles up with the other. The Primer Catcher will slide right off the big nut.

Putting it back on is the reverse.

This is the way I put them on when assembling the tool.

Randy

dragon813gt
07-15-2016, 03:30 PM
I would be concerned w/ them "losing" the tool and then "magically" releasing one that is exactly the same.

Artful
07-15-2016, 05:47 PM
I've loaded about 200 38 spl and 150 308 - I find it easier to use than the Huntington W press that had been my previous favorite - I really like the primer catch function and ability to stand on it's own. Not doing as much shooting as temps are 110+ here so mainly doing honey-do projects inside unless early morning then doing honey-do outside.

dragon813gt
07-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Used it tonight to FL size some new to me 357 Sig brass. Used a carbide 10mm die first so I didn't have to lube the cases. Found out they are bulged somewhat. None had a smile but the die doesn't go down far enough. You can see and physically feel how much bigger the case web area still is. Point of all that is that it took a good bit of effort to size bit was still a breeze.

Sized some 10mm brass that was fired in my G20 and it took practically no effort to size them. Ran the Sig brass through the 357 Sig die to size the shoulder. Didn't take much effort either. I realize this is pistol brass so it's easier. I have no doubt the press has enough leverage to size rifle brass. This is still something I have no desire to do but it's nice to know it can handle it.

I really like the ergonomics of the press. Handles are far enough apart to provide enough leverage while still being comfortable to use. Once I got in a groove I was able to process the brass quickly. Flicking the brass from the read popped it out of the shellholder into my waiting hand.

It's a really great small portable press. Load development at the range would be easy and precise w/ it.

bullseye67
07-15-2016, 09:36 PM
I have #43 and have used it enough to say...works excellent. I did a batch of 45 Colt for fun at home before I take it out to the range. Every time I plan on going to the outdoor range it POURS!!! Learning curve 2 minutes. I had been using the Lee C-style small press on my shooting bench. This will take its place. The soft bag is a nice touch and holds the clamp I will be using. Takes less room, being a compact package, than the Lee as I had it bolted to a small piece of plywood. I am extremely HAPPY with the purchase. For someone that shoots 50-100 rounds at a time. This BPM press would do it all!

dromia
07-16-2016, 03:56 AM
I have handloaded around 400 rounds on Number 3 to date, 270 win 218 Bee, 22Hornet, 30-06 and 30-40 Krag both FL resized and Lee collet necksized and it has worked flawlessly and effortlessly.

I like to use mine G clamped to my desk and the only "improvement" I would make is to have it 1/2" taller so as to keep the clearance distance when using a clamp. The primer catcher can get deformed on the clamp on the down stroke. especially when using effort to pull a sized case out of the die, perhaps a couple of adjustable collars on the uprights would help as well to define the amount of downward travel.

deltaenterprizes
07-16-2016, 11:18 AM
How much are these presses?

Artful
07-16-2016, 12:39 PM
Delta - The introductory price was $165 plus shipping - Not sure of current pricing.

Dromia - you could look at taking some tubing and splitting it and slipping it around the uprights.

As far as looking room to clamp space check out Welding clamps
https://www.thetoolstore.ca/catalog/welding-clamp.jpg
They take up far less room from your vertical stroke.

dromia
07-16-2016, 01:52 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, I wasn't finding fault with the press I am very happy with it just responding to Randy's OP for possible improvements.

W.R.Buchanan
07-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Guys: Thanks for your Reviews so far. Still hoping others will post their impressions.

Adam: if you use a C Clamp ,,, do use some kind of Softener between the clamp and the press as metal to metal will scratch the anodized surface.

I am building the second run as we speak, and as Art stated the Introductory Price "Was" $165. I lost my **** on that run. [smilie=b:

Those days are gone and the new price will be $200+$20 shipping, and the Case is $30 if purchased with the tool, or $30+ shipping if you by it separately.

Don't start flooding me with orders as it will be several weeks before I am ready to start selling this run. I also will be assembling many, before I start selling any,,,so as to eliminate waiting for me to assemble. I am working out the final bugs in the assembly process as we speak so that part will go much faster than before which was a total fight on every one.

I want this to be the same type of service you would get from any other outfit that has product in stock ready to ship. We pride ourselves in maintaining a next day shipping policy and it is imperative that we get some inventory built up and the website up and running right for this to happen Painlessly.

We will be selling these and our other products thru our new website www.buchananprecisionmachine.com (http://www.buchananprecisionmachine.com) which is still under construction. You won't see it yet, but I assure you it is happening.

Randy

dromia
07-17-2016, 04:42 AM
I use a piece of card to protect the base from the vagaries of the clamp.