PDA

View Full Version : Foam Backer Rod ?

Polar_Hunter
07-14-2016, 12:19 PM
I have just discovered on another forum that some fellows are using Foam Backer Rod to take up space in large capacity cartridges. (instead of a filler like COW)

Has anyone here tried it?

montana_charlie
07-14-2016, 01:03 PM
The filler we use is called 'black powder'.
It is used to fill the case from the primer pocket to any wad that may be against the base of the bullet.

If you have a need for 'filler' because you load with smokeless propellant, those discussions are found here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?31-Single-Shot-Guns

rfd
07-14-2016, 01:33 PM
I have just discovered on another forum that some fellows are using Foam Backer Rod to take up space in large capacity cartridges. (instead of a filler like COW)

what cartridge, what powder?

if it applies to what yer doing, you may not be aware of issues with double based powders and fillers ....
www.quigleymatch.com/safety.html

Polar_Hunter
07-14-2016, 06:38 PM
rfd,,, I shoot .577 Snider and 43 Mauser.

rfd
07-14-2016, 07:07 PM

black or white powder? if black, i would never ever use loose fillers, the kiss of death. if white and double base powder (not single base like trail boss) along with fillers, please follow that link i posted above and read its cautions.

TXGunNut
07-14-2016, 09:10 PM
Good link, rfd. Must admit I use the same filler as Montana Charlie. ;-)

rfd
07-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Good link, rfd. Must admit I use the same filler as Montana Charlie. ;-)

+1 - i'm with you, podner. make it black and fill it to the brim ... er, wad(s). :)

Ballistics in Scotland
07-17-2016, 07:03 AM

There is no real need, except economy or noise, to use a filler with either of these. But it is important to understand that fillers do two separate things. They can modify the volumetric capacity, preventing the formation of a pressure wave which might ring the chamber or barrel. A dense filler like hard packed cream of wheat etc. will do this, although it will also give extra weight and friction, reducing performance.

The other kind of filler is mostly air. Dacron, cotton wool or kapok are what people most often use, and these only position the powder close to the primer, for complete and consistent ignition. They do leave you with the danger of a pressure wave - not the sure disaster some people believe, in non-extreme case when the space they take up isn't great, but the chance of harming your gun does exist.

Your foam would be of the second type. There is also the possibility that melting foam would smear plastic on your bore. Shotgunners are well used to dealing with this, but it could temporarily harm accuracy.

Premod70
07-17-2016, 07:23 AM
I will add that using smokeless powder in guns made for black powder only and using any filler is inducing a unnecessary danger. Many posts on the Internet claim no harm from the fillers but if one looks closely the guns that are blown up most are old black powder makes or copies that are made of weak low pressure steel. Most don't have the knowledge to tell the difference between a high pressure steel and that of a lesser form. It is best to stay away from fillers and use only the powders designed for low pressure usage.

rfd
07-17-2016, 09:11 AM
using case "air" fillers with black or white powder is dangerous, period.

double base smokeless powders such as aa5744 were specifically meant to be used without any fillers OR wads. aa5744 is manufacturer specified as not case volume sensitive. cartridges loaded with aa5744 and fillers/wads have been banned from the prestigious quigley match.

black powder is meant to be used full up in the case, and typically compressed. the use of compressed wads is optional. this is the same as with a muzzleloader, where the powder and ball (patched or not) are tamped down tight onto the breech plug, in the barrel's the chamber.

old iron barrels and actions, if rated "safe", should be using black powder, at best.

modern steel guns, if specified by the manufacturer, can be used with both black and white powders, with the caveats listed above.

i use nothing but compressed black powder cartridge loads along with modern steel rifle replicas. if lighter loads are required for young adults, training, or the recoil sensitive, i use trail boss single base smokeless with no fillers or wads.

ymmv - be safe.

fgd135
07-18-2016, 07:21 PM

Ya know, the folks using it on that other board are filling air space in very large capacity black powder cartridges, like the Snider and MH, when using only black powder, not smokeless powders...and speaking as someone who does that, it works well, doesn't over-pressure loads like a wad, and doesn't melt in the bore.