PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to clean carbon from aluminun engine cover

jonp
07-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Anybody know? Ive tried a couple of things but the baked on carbon is tough and i cant scrape the aluminum too aggresivly as it will scratch

popper
07-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Still on the motor? Sure it's carbon? A lot of the old Al engine castings were very porous and they clear coated to prevent leaks. Try looking for a shop (tranny rebuilder?) with a chemical bath tub.

jonp
07-14-2016, 11:37 AM
No, the front cover ia off as im doing a timing chain job. This is carbon and varnish on the inside. Not looking to get it like new just the worst of it off

runfiverun
07-14-2016, 11:50 AM
oven cleaner

country gent
07-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Ill second the oven cleaner. It does work very good on baked on oils and varnish. Watch if you have it dipped as caustic sodas and some others eat at aluminum and if the casting is pourous and they get in the pores it continues to work for a long time. The spray on oven cleaners ( sometimes a heat bulb in a trouble light focused on the part helps speed them up also.) and some "soak" time to allow them to work. USe a scratch pad to remove loosened crud and to help loosen it. May take several aplications in real life.

popper
07-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Most oven cleaners are caustic. Works great on acrylic (NOT fiberglass) shower tubs ( the nationally advertised stuff doesn't work). I'd try kerosene with a soft scrub brush. Works on shower tubs too but even the clean stuff smells bad for a while. kerosene has been used for a long time as engine degunker.

leadman
07-14-2016, 01:56 PM
Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power are 2 alkyl soaps that will work, just don't leave it sit on bare aluminum too long. A good brand of carb cleaner will also work but gets pricey if you need to clean a bunch of parts.
Hoppe's #9 will also work but again pricey.

tommag
07-14-2016, 03:50 PM
Wouldn't Ed's work?

jonp
07-14-2016, 05:55 PM
Eds was my thought too. Atf/mineral spirits, kerosine, hoppes etc. I did think about oven cleaner but i didnt know how that would react with aluminum.

I want to clean it but it doesnt have to be like new type of clean. I sprayed it down with a couple of things and got all the loose junk with a plastic putty knife. Its just real hard stuff left and teuth be told probably wont hurt anything

Forty Rod Ray
07-14-2016, 08:55 PM
Kano Labs makes or once made a product named Kreen. We used it in forks and trucks to improve performance and light cleaning. From there it moved to my few ml's to clean... Not for wood finishes.

Plate plinker
07-14-2016, 11:33 PM
Soda blast it. It is like sandblasting but safe on aluminum. Baking soda industrial grade.

browntown
07-15-2016, 12:09 AM
I've had some luck with the wife's steam cleaner. Little yellow thing from costco. But I did an oil pan recently with the oven cleaner in a black trash bag in the sun. Worked pretty well. I've been known to hit stuff with brake cleaner before. Probably isn't a big deal if you rinse off after.

imashooter2
07-15-2016, 12:18 AM
Oven cleaner will eat the aluminum. Bad choice.

Blammer
07-15-2016, 06:40 PM
ez off oven cleaner

Lloyd Smale
07-16-2016, 05:25 AM
ive had good luck with GM upper engine cleaner. Its made to remove carbon deposits from your combustion chamber

6bg6ga
07-16-2016, 06:08 AM
I have used oven cleaner on outboard motors with good luck. I simply rinse the area really good and haven't had any problems as a result of using it for 40 years and its easy off brand.

jonp
07-16-2016, 06:24 AM
I ended up filling the front cover up with kerosene and letting it sit overnight. When I got home from work the kerosene had evaporated in the sun and the carbon had turned brown and dusty. I was able to get most of it out with a nylon brush. It's clean enough for me so I'm going to start putting the engine back together today.