PDA

View Full Version : need a rem 550 expert

shawnba67
07-14-2016, 08:21 AM
I noticed My fathers old 550-1was so dirty i couldnt believe it was running without a hiccup! So i decided to clean it for him. Disassemble went normal i tried to clean it in my ultra sonic but that didnt work out so a detail strip and scrub was in order also uneventful. I found on reassembly 2 small metallic nubs at 11 and 1 o'clock prevent the bolt from going down its bore. the rifle was working and the bolt removed normally could find no indication how they came to be.

It would be a 2 second job to remove them but I would like verification they arent supposed to be there first. I was able to fuss and turn and cuss a little and get the bolt past them but once past they prevent the bolt from attaining its last 1/3 of travel distance ie could never feed.
So any help is appreciated

wcp4570
07-14-2016, 09:10 AM
Rimfire central m any have your answer. I love old Remingtons and the 550 is one I have and enjoy shooting. I created a custom search for the forum and was easy to find what you need. Here is the custom search link https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=013789690718103628794:lw_lxjytklu
Here is one of the results I found to help answer your question, look at post #13 to steps to reassymble the 550.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191399
Hope this helps.

wcp

shawnba67
07-14-2016, 02:28 PM
thank you much they did not have the answer i was looking for. I believe that there is no way there should be any little nubs in the bolt raceway at a travel point. However not much about these dern 550 makes alot of sense lol

WebMonkey
07-14-2016, 03:34 PM
it's been ages but I believe you have to align the floating chamber with the nub in the receiver.

sorry I can't be of any real help.
(if there were nubs when it was working, you probably don't need to de-nubb it :))

the 550-1 in question was my grandfather's and is now in the possession of my cousin. (wherever that may be atm)
:)
good luck
'monkey

Hardcast416taylor
07-14-2016, 03:46 PM
Last Fall I bought a very dusty 550 that had an ungrooved reciever from an out of the way gunshop. A previous owner had a scope base mounted on top and a broken old Weaver V22 sat on it. I paid $200 out the door only because it was the same model I had on our farm many years back. Yes it is not `clean and shiney` but it still shoots Winchester Hi Vel HP ammo without a hiccup.Robert