PDA

View Full Version : Lee Perfect Powder Measure

07-14-2016, 07:42 AM
I bought one of these Lee Perfect Powder Measures a year or so ago but delayed using it over concerns of accuracy. I weigh every charge on my Redding version 1 scale, a scale I really like. I don't trust digitals. Watching Youtube video reviews the last couple of days I decided to set it up. Wow! Have I been missing out. The powder throw dropped right into my process and really sped things up. I'm throwing 5.2gr of BE-86 for 125gr 9mm. I throw into the scale pan, drop the pan on the scale to verify the charge and if it lands inside of .1gr I go with it. When I was weighing every charge without the throw I was adjusting to +- zero. I'm loosening up my precision just a fuzz to get quite a bit more production for my 9mm needs. I'm using the Lee Classic turret press and the caliber specific aluminum Satern funnel.
I just wanted to post and say I am excited to use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and agree with the positive comments I watched and read on Youtube.

172272 172273 172274

Der Gebirgsjager
07-14-2016, 02:06 PM
I've also got one--had it for about 10 years. Works great.

toallmy
07-14-2016, 03:22 PM
I use one to drop charge light and trickle to final weight for single stage rifle charging . A couple years ago I found a used little dandy to throw small charges after hand weighing for handguns it was like a dream . It takes a long time to charge 50-100 cases scooped and weighing by hand . Be safe

kungfustyle
07-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Nothing wrong with the powder measure till you get to Acc #5 or H110 or other fine powder. Then it leaks. I cut a cool whip lid to fit around the base to catch the leaking powder and keep going. Kinda hard to use extruded powders with.

robg
07-14-2016, 03:51 PM
Used a friends one works well but I still use my Lyman but if it ever wears out I'd get the Lee to replace it.

mdi
07-16-2016, 12:30 PM
My first powder measure was a Lee PPM. I thought I'd get a more "sophisticated" tool and tried a couple "better" measures. I now have a C-H 502 and it is a good measure with most powders, but not any more accurate than my newer Lee PPM. Some very fine powders leak (both measures), and some "log" powders are crunchy (both measures). The only complaint I've ever had was with Lee's stand, it will flex, so I made up a brace out of aluminum to stop the flexing of the stand. No big deal...

gloob
07-17-2016, 01:26 AM
The only complaint I've ever had was with Lee's stand, it will flex, so I made up a brace out of aluminum to stop the flexing of the stand. No big deal...
Can you post a pic? This is my only problem. Maybe you found a good solution?

My problem is not the actual stand. It's that it only connects on a little screw at the bottom, and this part flexes. I put a screw thru the middle of the thrower... with the head of the screw barely clearing the moving parts. And it still has some flex that is annoying.

BigEyeBob
07-18-2016, 03:38 AM
Nothing wrong with the powder measure till you get to Acc #5 or H110 or other fine powder. Then it leaks. I cut a cool whip lid to fit around the base to catch the leaking powder and keep going. Kinda hard to use extruded powders with.

I pulled my Lee measure apart and lapped the drum into its seat with some fine lapping paste in a few minutes . , no more leaks with red dot or other flake powders . Lubricated with graphite powder works a lot smoother as well.

plus1hdcp
07-18-2016, 04:17 PM
I pulled my Lee measure apart and lapped the drum into its seat with some fine lapping paste in a few minutes . , no more leaks with red dot or other flake powders . Lubricated with graphite powder works a lot smoother as well.

Any specific lapping compound or would you mind recommending one?

jetinteriorguy
07-23-2016, 11:06 AM
I lapped mine as well just using a fast cutting polishing compound and leakage with the finer powders is very minimal. I also washed it clean at first and then sprayed the inside down with graphite lube and put in a baffle I made form light aluminum using Uncle Mikes templates I downloaded. The only measure I have that works better, and this is only with stick powders, is my good old Lyman 55.

07-24-2016, 09:40 AM
I bought one of these Lee Perfect Powder Measures a year or so ago but delayed using it over concerns of accuracy. I weigh every charge on my Redding version 1 scale, a scale I really like. I don't trust digitals.

The old Redding No 1 is an excellent scale - better than most beam scales produced today. Do you use it dry or oil dampened?

I have a Lee PPM and very pleased with the accuracy - I also have an Ohaus Du-o measure but find it's no more accurate.

Yes, the base is a little flimsy and the hopper could be a little larger if using it for larger capacity rifle cases.

07-26-2016, 09:45 PM
The old Redding No 1 is an excellent scale - better than most beam scales produced today. Do you use it dry or oil dampened?

I have a Lee PPM and very pleased with the accuracy - I also have an Ohaus Du-o measure but find it's no more accurate.

Yes, the base is a little flimsy and the hopper could be a little larger if using it for larger capacity rifle cases.

Oil dampened. I love that feature. I actually recently bought a 2nd New Old Stock Redding #1 to put up. The key is to find one someone hasn't moved the compensator nuts. Too many people mistake them as the means of zeroing the scale.

mdi
07-27-2016, 02:26 PM
Sorry it took so long, my good camera died...

I used a piece of 2" aluminum angle cut to the same width as the PPM stand. I drilled holes for mounting to stand an a hole, about 1/2" dia., to accept the spout and add a bit of strength. I epoxied the angle to the mount of the PPM and screwed the assy. to the stand. Stiffened it up quite a bit...173117173116

LakeviewBulldog
07-27-2016, 04:04 PM
I received one of these as a gift when I first started reloading. They guy who gave it to me took mercy on me when he saw I was hand dipping and weighing charges for my 45 ACP. It works surprisingly well for something that costs around $20. I now only check once every tenth throw.

Dimner
07-27-2016, 04:14 PM
I have one, and it works very well. No leaking. Sometimes when using BLC2 it gets tougher to turn the lever, but it always throws the right charge within .05 grains I would say. That's a perfect measure for me. When I'm load developing, I use my balance beam scale to exact every load (I set the powder measure to throw a but under weight and trickle up) but when I'm doing quantity reloading for a known load, I only measure the first 5 and ever 10 to 15th. Even though it's never off on those 10th or 15th loads.

Only slight gripe is that the lid of the powder measure comes off really easy. So I use a very loose rubber band to keep it in place.

I'm happy with mine and have no need to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rbstern
07-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Oil dampened. I love that feature.

Me, too. Use the same scale. Excellent product.

w5pv
07-27-2016, 05:39 PM
I use masking tape to hold the lid on.Once I get the amount that I want I just load and have had no problems.It stays where I put it.I use to check it about every twenty charges or so but it never change so I don't eve brother with that any more but I do check after I am through to make sure it stayed set so far it has.

BigEyeBob
07-27-2016, 07:51 PM
Any specific lapping compound or would you mind recommending one?

I used a water based engine valve lapping paste , the tube I have has two compartments one fine and one coarse , I used the fine grit .
I then dumped a whole lot of graphite powder through it to lubricate it . Works very nicely .

edwardware
07-27-2016, 09:29 PM
My Lee PPM drops accurately enough for any pistol ammo I load, even target stuff. An interesting exercise is to throw and measure 10 charges, find the maximum delta, and figure out the change in velocity and point of impact due to that delta.

I bet you'll find it's too small to matter on anything except precision rifle rounds.

swamp
07-27-2016, 11:01 PM
I solved the loose hopper lid by putting some tape on the inside edge of the lid. snugs it up well. On both of mine.
swamp

mdi
07-28-2016, 12:12 PM
Loose lid? Duct tape. Worked with mine when I put it on one side of the lid and it acted like a hinge...

gloob
07-29-2016, 03:09 PM

I used a piece of 2" aluminum angle cut to the same width as the PPM stand. I drilled holes for mounting to stand an a hole, about 1/2" dia., to accept the spout and add a bit of strength. I epoxied the angle to the mount of the PPM and screwed the assy. to the stand. Stiffened it up quite a bit...173117173116

Thanks for the pic. I'll have to pick up some angle aluminum. That looks just about as perfect as can be.

needausername
07-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Mine gave me fits until I lapped the drum. I just used Brasso that I had under the sink. Once done, cleaned and dried I just drew all over the surface with a pencil for the graphite. I also tried about every kind of baffle I could think of in order to keep the powder weight uniform and in the end, a simple funnel placed in the top works best. It lets you see the powder fall and settle each time.

Great little measure.

07-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Mine gave me fits until I lapped the drum. I just used Brasso that I had under the sink. Once done, cleaned and dried I just drew all over the surface with a pencil for the graphite. I also tried about every kind of baffle I could think of in order to keep the powder weight uniform and in the end, a simple funnel placed in the top works best. It lets you see the powder fall and settle each time.

Great little measure.

Id like to see a picture of that funnel setup. I was going to make a copper baffle.

Sean357
08-14-2016, 05:18 PM

I picked up my first (only) PPM, a used one, at a gunshow recently and wasn't impressed with the movement of the measure while practicing with it. After seeing your enhancement I went and did this to mine, much better now thanks.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

RogerDat
08-14-2016, 05:36 PM
These baffles from Titan fit both the PPM and the Auto Disk. http://www.titanreloading.com/titan-round-powder-baffle?search=baffle
3D printed and seem to be a pretty decent piece of work for $9.00

I saw someone mentioned using with 9mm and Titan also makes the micro charge disk as a 3D printed item. Copy of the discontinued Lee version. Allows dropping some smaller charges with the auto disk.

I have zero complaints about the PPM other than it is a little slow for loading semi-auto calibers when compared to doing them on a turret with auto disk. But always accurate and works very well for reloading rifle cases like 8mm or .303 and I understand some people mount them on turret press with good results. For me it seems that consistent stroke and tap with finger tip leads to consistent throws.

I don't see why the concern over the occasional "crunch" when measuring stick powder. Doesn't seem to make a huge difference in the load thrown. No matter what BL-C(2) ends up on the bench when being used. Seems like a law of nature, like gravity or something. I keep a paintbrush handy on the bench to clean up after any stray grains, brass shavings, etc. It just gets used more with fine powders.

RED BEAR
08-17-2016, 08:39 PM
are these newer measures? i have one that is at least 20 or more years old and it will not throw the same charge twice if your life depended on it. did you have problems before you lapped it or are they better made now? do to funds it is the only one i have but is a far cry from consistent would love to fix it if possible.

Ben
08-17-2016, 09:30 PM
These baffles from Titan fit both the PPM and the Auto Disk. http://www.titanreloading.com/titan-round-powder-baffle?search=baffle
3D printed and seem to be a pretty decent piece of work for $9.00

I saw someone mentioned using with 9mm and Titan also makes the micro charge disk as a 3D printed item. Copy of the discontinued Lee version. Allows dropping some smaller charges with the auto disk.

I have zero complaints about the PPM other than it is a little slow for loading semi-auto calibers when compared to doing them on a turret with auto disk. But always accurate and works very well for reloading rifle cases like 8mm or .303 and I understand some people mount them on turret press with good results. For me it seems that consistent stroke and tap with finger tip leads to consistent throws.

I don't see why the concern over the occasional "crunch" when measuring stick powder. Doesn't seem to make a huge difference in the load thrown. No matter what BL-C(2) ends up on the bench when being used. Seems like a law of nature, like gravity or something. I keep a paintbrush handy on the bench to clean up after any stray grains, brass shavings, etc. It just gets used more with fine powders.

I tried your link, it doesn't work for me.

Ben

08-18-2016, 05:59 AM
are these newer measures? i have one that is at least 20 or more years old and it will not throw the same charge twice if your life depended on it. did you have problems before you lapped it or are they better made now? do to funds it is the only one i have but is a far cry from consistent would love to fix it if possible.

Mine is new production, yes. I didn't do anything to it. I didn't lap it or even run graphite through it. It works very well with W296 and BE-86. Two powders I've tried in it so far. Very accurate and repeatable. I'm sold on Lee powder measures. The Lee Auto Drum is even better.

Ole Joe Clarke
08-18-2016, 08:19 AM
I have a Lee Auto Disc that I have sanded, polished and it still leaks powder. I use it for Unique and it leaks like a sieve. Thought about using it for target practice. My old Pacifics work great and don't leak.

08-18-2016, 12:38 PM
I have a Lee Auto Disc that I have sanded, polished and it still leaks powder. I use it for Unique and it leaks like a sieve. Thought about using it for target practice. My old Pacifics work great and don't leak.

The OP is talking about the Lee Perfect Powder measure not the Lee Auto Disk. I think the shape of the Perfect Powder Measure wetted parts lends itself to less potential leaking as does the incredible Lee Auto Drum. I have no association with Lee except I am very happy with both my Perfect Powder and Auto Drum measures. I've never owned the Auto Disk but the design of anyone's version of that slide type measure has always struck me as something very prone to leaking.

RED BEAR
08-18-2016, 08:43 PM
well i am a believer. took it apart and lapped the parts removed any burrs .made a brace to hold it steady . put every thing back together and loaded a couple boxes of shot gun shells didnt have to touch the powder trickler once. could hardly believe it. thanks for the post i would have just kept on fighting it.

RogerDat
08-18-2016, 09:00 PM
Not sure what is up with the link.

Micro charge disk. http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-handling-equipment/titan-micro-charge

That is weird, the baffle was listed when I copied that link and pasted it here and now it is not. I just searched for baffle again and nothing, but I copied this out of one my orders in order history.

TITAN ROUND POWDER BAFFLE
T303

Would probably be best to contact them via email or phone using the part number/name above. They have to print these up, and then hand dress the edges so it may be they are out of stock, but hopefully did not decide to discontinue them. I was sort of planning to pick up a couple more so I could leave them in and not move the one I have. They did almost double in price over time, at one point they were $5 and when I did the search to post that link they were $9

pull the trigger
10-15-2016, 07:58 AM
Well I guess I am the odd man out. Mine throws +\- 1 grain. Not .1 but 1.0. I lapped it. Tapped it and spent several hours with the thing and it drives me nuts. Picked up an old cheap uniflow and it is great. I had been wanting a chargemaster but I am very pleased with the uniflow