PDA

View Full Version : Pride

Boaz
07-13-2016, 08:51 PM
You know There was a topic on pride a while back . If memory serves me (which at an advanced age does not work flawlessly) rl69 posted it . It was a VERY good tropic . I reported in my 'GOD help me be half the man I once was thread' my own failings in pride . We all got *PRIDE* . I'm a layman , I am not a preacher and I have never felt the call to preach . I'm not preaching here . I have a high school education and type with one finger and my biggest get out for my constant mistakes in life is that I just aint too bright and I realize that . It is said confession is good for the soul , James bears that out in his writings . Lol most here know I like the book of James , I believe James was hard headed like me . I relate to James . His convictions carried him through . He was killed by being thrown off a two story building and when that didn't kill him he was put to the sword . Yea ....James was hard headed but he knew the truth and was CONVICTED .

Any who I have taken it on myself to reread on pride lately . Refreshing yourself could possibly prevent a reoccurrence of the same trouble you have experienced before ? I don't have much pride left But I got a lot of experience with it . Pride will take you down , pride hurts the ones you love , pride will rule your thoughts and acts , pride will make you rely on yourself and believe me that ain't gonna work out .

Pride is a reoccurring factor/event in our lives , it's worth nothing and propagated by Satan himself . Been there ...done that .
Aw well a few verses about pride , I have rambled long enough . I hope you can contribute to the verses , there are many . We are warned .

A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.

Isaiah 9:9

We have heard of the pride of Moab; he is very proud: even of his haughtiness, and his pride, and his wrath: but his lies shall not be so.

Isaiah 23:9

Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.

Proverbs 14:3

A definition of pride ;

Inordinate self-esteem; an unreasonable conceit of one's own superiority in talents, beauty, wealth, accomplishments, rank or elevation in office, which manifests itself in lofty airs, distance, reserve, and often in contempt of others.

The references to pride in our holy word and many . It is worth the time to study .

Pine Baron
07-14-2016, 08:26 AM
Proverbs 16:18 (https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Proverbs-16-18/) - Pride [goeth] before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
James 4:6 (https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/James-4-6/) - But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
The opposite of pride is "humble". Of course, we are assuming the biblical definition of pride.
The modest application of pride helps us with self esteem, in ourselves and others. A good dose of "humble" keeps this in check. Too much pride leads to arrogance.
All things in moderation.

Blackwater
07-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Amen, guys. I fought the demon pride, and pridefulness for a long, long time. It seems to be inherrent and inborn in us, from birth. All I know for sure is that it's as common as dirt. And it's about the most insidious and pervading thing that can infest us. It's often called "The great sin of Satan." And that's true, I think. I know for a long time, I wanted to earn my way into Heaven. What a vain endeavor THAT was! It was inevitable from the first that such a grandiose aspiration would be humbled. And of course, it was.

It's pride that leads us to aspire to EARN Heaven. It's humility that lets us realize that everything we could ever possibly do would be insufficient to EARN our way into Heaven. God already owns each and every one of us, and all that is in the universe. It's all of HIS making, not ours, and thus, HE "owns" it all. The one thing that we truly have, is or free wills. That's really all we have that's ours to offer up. All else, and I mean ALL, is God's already, and we can't give something that's not ours, and what kind of sense would it be to even attempt to give God something that's already His?

So, no matter how prideful we are at the start, everything in Christianity leads us to be ever more humble. And once humbled, the amazing thing is that suddenly, it's as though scales had been lifted from our eyes, and we can suddenly see things that heretofore had been an enigma and mystery to us! Truly, God does indeed "work in mysterious ways, his wonders to fulfill."

So much of Christianity is not what we thought it was going to be when we first committed ourselves to it. But that's always GOT to be a GOOD thing! As we grow in our Christianity, we grow in our understanding of things that had previously been a mystery to us. And being humble is an essential ingredient toward those understandings. If we don't have it, pride blocks our view of the things we need to know. But that's why we have to be persistent. If everything were given to us suddenly en masse, we'd never appreciate them. God lets us learn them gradually and with much seeking, so that we'll know they're real, and will appreciate what He's planted here for us to discover and come to understand.

What a wonder Christianity is! Things that don't make sense, suddenly become clear, when we see them through the filter of humility and devotion to our Lord. It even changes our vision! What could be more powerful and loving than THAT?

Preacher Jim
07-14-2016, 01:19 PM
the only thing any of us sinners have any reason to have pride is??????

USMC87
07-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Hey Brother Charlie, That was a well spoken short sermon on pride which I myself have been guilty of many times. Much appreciated!