PDA

View Full Version : Lee two cavity H&G clone issues

Strtspdlx
07-13-2016, 07:55 PM
I finally got the mold to drop bullets. They still aren't the correct size nor are they round per say. I will fix that I just want it to cast a clean bullet. Right now it's casting with the edges of the driving bands rounded. What could cause that?

MT Chambers
07-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Not sure about Lee molds but usually heat and tin addition would fix this.

seagiant
07-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Hi,
Dirty lead, "cold" lead, dirty mold, contaminated mold???

I'm not here to put down LEE 2-cav molds but like the 6-cav better!

That's probably not a "clone" either?

Always helps to tell people what exact mold and boolit you are talking about, also?????

Strtspdlx
07-15-2016, 12:08 AM
Sorry I could've sworn I mentioned the mold model. It's a 452-200 swc. I agree the two cavities aren't like the 6 cavities. I've had much better luck with the 6 cavity molds. I'm using coww with probably 1% tin I've tried different heats on mold and alloy. But I still haven't got it.

Possum Lickaa
08-18-2016, 02:45 PM
I have the same issue, but it's rounded shoulders... but only part of the shoulder. And is is not specific to any particular half of the mould. I have tried quite a few things to correct this, and I have managed to get some pretty good boolits, but not consistently.

- I really think the ticket is going to be hot lead, and a not-blazing-hot mould. I get lots of issues with that mould when I run it too hot.

Wish I could give you a gauranteed fix, but I have not had much time casting lately. My job keeps gettng in the way! First-World Problems!

Tonto
08-18-2016, 09:36 PM
One variable to consider if you use a bottom pour furnace is distance from the spout. Hot alloy that drops a little further can help with fill out.

Moonie
08-18-2016, 09:42 PM
It sounds like you need to cast faster and perhaps try a hot plate to pre-heat the mold.

stu1ritter
08-19-2016, 07:45 AM
I have that Lee H&G #68 mold with 6 cavities. While my casts are square and fully filled out (I run my alloy at 735F and heat the mold on a hot plate) the boolits are out of round by .003-.004. They come out of the sizer within half a thou of round and closer on size.

Stu

Strtspdlx
08-21-2016, 01:53 AM
Well stu since I made this thread I have played with the mold and made it drop bullets at .452-.453. Which while it is much better I'm still unhappy with how it of round it is. But I put that aside as the driving bands size fully as apparent by the markings that my sizing die is doing what's it's supposed too. I loaded some up and shot some and so far accuracy is horrendous but I've only tried about 30 rounds with different loads to see if I could get a start. So far they where all horribly inaccurate. I may play with the mold a bit more and see if I can't make it a flat base mold as I tend to like flat base bullets just for ease of lubricating and I personally think they load easier and size better. But that's just my opinion.

stu1ritter
08-21-2016, 05:54 AM
A few months ago I bought a STI Lawman and sighted it in at 50 feet. Here are the targets from that and I was using the Lee #68's. I don't seem to have any problems with it. Also, and perhaps this has something to do with the inherent accuracy of the bullet, the 6 cavity mold seems to be a slightly different shape, more toward the H&G fullness and it has a flat, not bevel base.

Stu
http://tinyurl.com/gr8rx5x