PDA

View Full Version : Luke 16

WRideout
07-13-2016, 07:24 PM
For a time I myself succumbed to the siren call of personal glory. I had begun to believe that if I could not trust anyone else, I would have to make my own way in the world. Without any moral compass to guide me, I believed that wealth, position and accomplishments would be the measuring stick of my success. I worked hard on achieving personal success, never guessing that God had something quite different in mind for me.

A few years ago, I found in my personal papers an old list I had written when I was younger. I had been given some advice as a young man that I should write down all the goals that were important to me, so that I would be sure to accomplish them. To me, living a life without accomplishment or a sense of striving toward goals would seem almost like not living at all. So at the tender age of thirty-seven I thought about what goals I should be achieving in my life in the near future, and dutifully wrote them down:
1. By the age of forty, earn $42,000 a year
2. Move up to a management position at work
3. Buy a house for my family
4. Build a small boat

Now, almost twenty years later, I can take stock of the lasting significance of those goals. I did earn the money I wanted, and more; I earned and lost several times that amount, and in the end, have little more than I started with. I moved up in my chosen profession, only to lose my job time after time. I held many management level positions, none of which actually satisfied me for any length of time. The house went to my ex-wife after our marriage unraveled, and the boat, I cut up and put out with the trash after it developed incurable rot.
The things that have stayed with me over time have been the things that can’t be bought, or achieved by one’s own effort; the laughter of my children, the miracle of wildflowers in a mountain meadow, the healing power of forgiveness. Even marriage, as it turns out, is a gift of God. When I was not looking at all, God presented me with a wonderful, loving woman who became my wife.

So many of the things I strove for all those years turned out to be hollow, while the things I most care about were simply gifts. Gifts bestowed by God the creator of the universe; a God whose deepest desire is simply to know me, and to be known in return. I have been thinking about another set of goals that will carry me for the foreseeable future, goals that will have some permanence, goals that will positively affect me and all those around me. They are:
1. To know God;
2. To know God;
3. To know God.

square butte
07-13-2016, 07:32 PM
I am with you. This is what my wife and I desire. We are truly a cheap date for each other. I might add that an occasional good cup of coffee and a very slow roll down a dirt road in the middle of no where, seems to help us know God. We also think that if heaven is a bit like that - We'll be pretty happy.

Blackwater
07-13-2016, 08:36 PM
That seems to be a not too uncommon scenario, WR. And the best part is, if we just pay attention, God WILL lead us to what we REALLY want and need, even if we tend to fight Him in it at first. It really IS true that "God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to fulfill." And all we have to do, really, is just pay attention and keep striving. If we simply do that, and trust Him, it all seems to come with little to no effort on our own part. How all that works, I do not know, but it's not important that you or I understand it. Only that God does.

And if there's ever been more solid proof that He truly DOES love us, I have no idea what it could possibly be. Praise His holy name! It even works with such sinners as you and I. Amazing, isn't it?

buckwheatpaul
07-13-2016, 09:04 PM
WRideout, you really nailed it....my father told me the only 2 things you can take out of this world is: 1. Your good name; 2. What you did or did not do with it.....I would rather walk with God than have all the money and precious jewels.....thanks for the post....Paul

Boaz
07-13-2016, 09:12 PM
For a time I myself succumbed to the siren call of personal glory. I had begun to believe that if I could not trust anyone else, I would have to make my own way in the world. Without any moral compass to guide me, I believed that wealth, position and accomplishments would be the measuring stick of my success. I worked hard on achieving personal success, never guessing that God had something quite different in mind for me.

A few years ago, I found in my personal papers an old list I had written when I was younger. I had been given some advice as a young man that I should write down all the goals that were important to me, so that I would be sure to accomplish them. To me, living a life without accomplishment or a sense of striving toward goals would seem almost like not living at all. So at the tender age of thirty-seven I thought about what goals I should be achieving in my life in the near future, and dutifully wrote them down:
1. By the age of forty, earn $42,000 a year
2. Move up to a management position at work
3. Buy a house for my family
4. Build a small boat

Now, almost twenty years later, I can take stock of the lasting significance of those goals. I did earn the money I wanted, and more; I earned and lost several times that amount, and in the end, have little more than I started with. I moved up in my chosen profession, only to lose my job time after time. I held many management level positions, none of which actually satisfied me for any length of time. The house went to my ex-wife after our marriage unraveled, and the boat, I cut up and put out with the trash after it developed incurable rot.
The things that have stayed with me over time have been the things that can’t be bought, or achieved by one’s own effort; the laughter of my children, the miracle of wildflowers in a mountain meadow, the healing power of forgiveness. Even marriage, as it turns out, is a gift of God. When I was not looking at all, God presented me with a wonderful, loving woman who became my wife.

So many of the things I strove for all those years turned out to be hollow, while the things I most care about were simply gifts. Gifts bestowed by God the creator of the universe; a God whose deepest desire is simply to know me, and to be known in return. I have been thinking about another set of goals that will carry me for the foreseeable future, goals that will have some permanence, goals that will positively affect me and all those around me. They are:
1. To know God;
2. To know God;
3. To know God.

THANK YOU WRIDEOUT ! Discovery always takes us a while but it is worth it .

Bzcraig
07-13-2016, 11:03 PM
Very eloquently spoken brother, 100% accurate and we all need to remember to keep our lists that simple! Thanks for the encouragung words!

Pine Baron
07-14-2016, 08:03 AM
Made the same journey as you, WR. Amazing how much more satisfying and peaceful it is to be on the "right" path.

Preacher Jim
07-14-2016, 08:14 AM
Great wisdom if our younger members would read and heed your life is a mirror of many of us who learned late in life. Thank you,

w5pv
07-15-2016, 09:02 AM
Great post