PDA

View Full Version : Lee Auto Drum Powder Measure on sale

nsdread07
07-13-2016, 05:55 PM
I just purchased an auto drum at Midsouth for 29.99. If this proves accurate I may replace my Auto discs.

g17
07-13-2016, 08:21 PM
I think you'll be impressed with it. I had little hope but bought one because of the cost and it has been very consistent. I have mine on a Redding t-7 set to drop 3gr bullseye and before a loading session, I check the powder weight on my scale after 10 drops and it has been spot on every time.

woodsxdragon
07-13-2016, 09:12 PM
Do they leak with powders like the perfect powder measure?

flashhole
07-13-2016, 09:23 PM
I have not experienced any leaks with the two Auto Drum measures I have. They are superior to the disc measures in that they are adjustable to the specific charge you need.

opos
07-13-2016, 11:18 PM
Got no leak problems...I love mine....I don't load tubular rifle powders but that is just a preference...I like to "dip and trickle" my rifle loads because they are small volume...one thing....be sure to run a cylinder full of the powder or use some graphite powder when things are new..makes a great difference...

JohnH
07-16-2016, 10:09 PM
Love my Auto Drum. Be sure to chamfer the case mouths of your pistol brass. any burr on the inside of the case mouth drags on the expander plug and makes the measure "chatter" in use. I found this to cause inconsistent drops with flake powders. After chamfering, no troubles at all, drops are eerily consistent. Rifle cases don't have this problem as the rifle adapter does not expand the case mouth, instead acting on the end of the case. Wouldn't trade it.

Moonie
07-17-2016, 12:10 PM
I've been so impressed with mine that I'm planning to replace all my auto disks with them.

skeet1
07-17-2016, 04:17 PM
I love my Auto Drum and have replaced my disk measure. This is a great improvement!

Ken

jmort
07-17-2016, 04:25 PM
I have 4 set up. Pretty much all I use now.

Bzcraig
07-18-2016, 12:24 AM
all I use as well..........

07-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Does the charge vary what with it shaking around on top of a turret press?

Moonie
07-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Does the charge vary what with it shaking around on top of a turret press?

I've used mine on top of my lee turret with the auto advance running, it was actually very accurate making 50 300 BO rounds, I weighed every charge as it was the first thing I used it on. Varied about .2 grains max out of 50, I think the powder was red dot or unique. Was for my 7.5" encore pistol with suppressor.

sghart3578
07-21-2016, 04:08 PM
A friendly warning to all of my buds here about the new Lee Auto Drum Powder Measure.

I am a Lee fan and use mostly Lee stuff. I bought a new Auto Drum when they first came out and it quickly became my go to measure for rifle powders, specifically for loading W748 or H335 in 223.

But I don't load 223 very often and when not in use I would break down my press. The Auto Drum went back into it's regular box and went on a top shelf in my garage.

The other day I got it down to run a couple of hundred rounds of 223 and the lifter arm snapped. It seems the the heat in the upper part of my garage had caused the drum assembly to stick just enough that the arm broke.

Lee kindly sent me an entire new measure free of charge as a replacement instead of just the part so I am happy. Actually, I would have been happy either way. But in the future I will pay more attention.

The mistake was all mine, as usual.

Steve in N CA

flashhole
07-21-2016, 05:11 PM
Make a replacement out of metal and put the measure back in service.

07-21-2016, 07:50 PM
I've used mine on top of my lee turret with the auto advance running, it was actually very accurate making 50 300 BO rounds, I weighed every charge as it was the first thing I used it on. Varied about .2 grains max out of 50, I think the powder was red dot or unique. Was for my 7.5" encore pistol with suppressor.

Auto advance?

RogerDat
07-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Auto advance?
Lee turret has a drive rod that advances the turret. For some loading folks pull out the index rod and use the press like a single stage. I do for necked rifle cartridges, but with the rod in the die plate rotates the next die into position on the handle down stroke. Not as fast as a progressive but faster than single stage since the case gets put on the ram and stays there until loaded.

People put the powder measure on the rotating disk with the dies so it gets auto dispensed at the correct step, or manually depending on measure. This 1 minute video shows index (auto advance) with powder measure mounted on turret. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6OS0LoRPE

07-21-2016, 08:45 PM
I just purchased an auto drum at Midsouth for 29.99. If this proves accurate I may replace my Auto discs.

Thanks for the heads up. Even though I just started using a powder throw (Lee Perfect Powder), I placed my order for the Auto Drum for my Lee turret press running 9mm.

07-21-2016, 08:49 PM
Lee turret has a drive rod that advances the turret. For some loading folks pull out the index rod and use the press like a single stage. I do for necked rifle cartridges, but with the rod in the die plate rotates the next die into position on the handle down stroke. Not as fast as a progressive but faster than single stage since the case gets put on the ram and stays there until loaded.

People put the powder measure on the rotating disk with the dies so it gets auto dispensed at the correct step, or manually depending on measure. This 1 minute video shows index (auto advance) with powder measure mounted on turret. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6OS0LoRPE

I have the Lee Classic turret press. You can simply stop mid stroke and rotate the plate. I'd never considered removing the rod. What is the advantage?

WebMonkey
07-21-2016, 09:17 PM
It makes batch loading easier.
Size 20 then hand rotate to the next die.
Charge 20, rotate.
Seat,crimp 20 (or seat 20, rotate and crimp 20)

That is all it does. Nice feature but not essential.

flashhole
07-22-2016, 06:52 AM
The auto-index feature works great for pistol cartridges using a carbide sizer and rifle cases where you have the brass pre-trimmed using the Lee Collet Neck Die. Both examples allow you to get into a rhythm.

If you have to FL size cases using lube not so good because you have to pull the case out for additional processing. Then it's best to remove the index rod and rotate the turret by hand.

RogerDat
07-22-2016, 03:04 PM
What flashhole said. It only takes a few seconds to lift it out with the disk off. When the process is size then check and/or trim length, then load after prepping brass it works better without indexing. Or if you want to weigh each round and adjust the charge to an exact load it can be easier to run all the cases through size and powder load before moving on to seat and crimp. Makes a nice quick change single stage.

I understand there is a point in the stroke where it is hard on the little square plastic piece to short stroke. Not exactly sure I recall where in the travel. YouTube by San Francisco liberal with a gun talked about it.

lightload
07-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Is the Auto Drum measure used in conjunction with a powder through expander die? If not, what die? And does it use powder through expander plugs as doe the Auto Disc measure?

jetinteriorguy
07-23-2016, 10:55 AM
Yes it works with the powder through die, the same as the Auto Disc.

blikseme300
07-23-2016, 11:19 AM
I'm in the other camp in that I prefer the auto-disks to an adjustable powder measure on a progressive. They work well, especially when using the double disk, and the charges are repeatable as my loading notes include the disk cavities used. Anybody want to sell their auto-disks PM me.

flashhole
07-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Is the Auto Drum measure used in conjunction with a powder through expander die? If not, what die? And does it use powder through expander plugs as doe the Auto Disc measure?

Yes, like jet said, it works with the Powder Through Expander (except with the 45-70) but Lee also makes two Powder Through Dies for rifle charging, one small and one large. I have both. They work great.

flashhole
07-23-2016, 11:20 AM
I had to make a small bushing to get it to work with the 45-70. I was only getting about 90 degrees drum rotation when 120 degrees is required.

07-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Received the auto drum powder measure today. I had it on my 4 hole turret press in 10 minutes. It dialed in to +- a tenth pretty quickly and off I went. No leakage with be-86 on the first 100 rounds. This could be a game changer for me from a production standpoint. I was checking every third and then every 5th round. After I get some time at the range to convince myself that the powder load is consistent enough to be within my own shooting error, I can really see the potential for cranking out the volume I need.

The be-86 powder won't fit in the case double charged but I left the disconnect installed. It's no big deal pressing it each round.

07-26-2016, 08:59 PM
Wow the auto drum is fantastic! The BE-86 is metering well and not leaking. I average 120 rounds per hour and now have over 400 rounds experience with it. Range time today confirms the powder load is staying consistent. I'm sold!