PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Molds

Marc2
10-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Im not a new caster but have no experience with cast iron molds. Have 14 aluminum molds from various sources (Lee, Mountain Molds, Veral Smith). Just ordered an RCBS 158 grain SWCGC mold to cast for the Ruger Anniversary Model. Do you smoke the mold before casting? Can the mold be cleaned with the same degreasers used to prep the aluminum molds before the first cast? Any suggestions on how to break in, and or, special care of cast iron mold would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc In VA.

David R
10-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Your gonna love it.

I break them in the same way, clean with spray cleaner and a toothbrush.

Pour a few till its warm, clean again as above, pour a couple more, smoke it with a butane lighter and YOUR OFF!

They hold the heat different, take longer to warm up and stay warm. It will take a bit of getting used to , but you will find it will be "old faithful"

A small bit of lube on the hinge pin is nice, its adjustable. Pour a few thousand the first day, oil it and put it away till you feel like you need more.

A long time ago I was told to never let oil touch my molds. Now I have a few rusty molds. They are fulla****. Take care of it and it will last for ever or longer.

David

Buckshot
10-26-2005, 02:46 AM
Your gonna love it.

I break them in the same way, clean with spray cleaner and a toothbrush.

Pour a few till its warm, clean again as above, pour a couple more, smoke it with a butane lighter and YOUR OFF!

They hold the heat different, take longer to warm up and stay warm. It will take a bit of getting used to , but you will find it will be "old faithful"

A small bit of lube on the hinge pin is nice, its adjustable. Pour a few thousand the first day, oil it and put it away till you feel like you need more.

A long time ago I was told to never let oil touch my molds. Now I have a few rusty molds. They are fulla****. Take care of it and it will last for ever or longer.

David

...........Ditto what David said. However I don't oil my ferrous blocks. Fairly dry here in So. Calif and once a year all the mould boxes get a new VPI chip.

..............Buckshot

Marc2
10-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Gets very humid here in the Valley of VA at times. I'll oil it, per David, and then shoot it with brake cleaner or degreaser before casting again. I love Virginia but I envy your dry climate out West. The first time I went out West was Colorado. It was over 90 degrees every day and we hiked all around the Colorado Springs area. I can't hardly set on the screened porch in VA when its in the 90s.
I still can't get over going to the top of Pikes Peak. It was in the 30 degree range in July. What do y'all do with the air on the top of those mountains?

Marc

StarMetal
10-26-2005, 01:18 PM
I keep my moulds in my gunsafe. So far not problems what so ever.

Joe

MGySgt
10-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Someone on this board told about keeping your molds in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Put them in when they are hot, wait a few minutes to warm up the inside temp and then screw on the lid - sorta of Vacum Seal. It works, been doing it a bout a year with no problems.

By they way - I too am in good Ole Virginie - and the humidity is pure h@#l during the summer. Of course here lately we had had a lot of rain and the humidity is worse, just not the heat to go with it!

Drew

Marc2
10-26-2005, 10:00 PM
MGySgt

That is a very interesting preservation technique. I'll have to give that a try.

Noticed you like the big bores on your profile. Do you hunt with yours? I recently aquired a Clements custom Five Shot Ruger old army 50 Cal that I intend to use it hunting whitetail in VA this year. Might even try it out with a round ball on a Gobbler.

Marc In VA.

fiberoptik
10-26-2005, 11:29 PM
I sprayed mine with Ms. Moly. They don't rust unless ya manage to screw up the coating. I haven't tried them since spraying, matter of fact, I haven't tried them before! Still got alot of .50's for the BP bambi-buster. Now if only I had a .32 maxi. I'll have to try the new .314 120 RN FB in them too.

MGySgt
10-27-2005, 10:12 PM
MGySgt

Noticed you like the big bores on your profile. Do you hunt with yours?
Marc In VA.

Marc,

My picture to the left is a 4X4 Elk taken with an 1895 Guide Gun in 45/70 3 years ago. This year I took a cow Elk with my Repro 1866 Sharps in 45/90.

Yes I do hunt with mine. I am stuck on this Sharps. It was a real hoot to take my Elk this year with it!

Drew

Blackwater
10-27-2005, 11:45 PM
I live in Georgia, which of course is famous for humidity you can sometimes cut with a knife. My house is all electric, though, except for a gas fireplace, and pretty darn dry most of the time. I keep all my moulds in my reloading room, but still spray my iron moulds with Breakfree CLP, and degrease thoroughly before using. Have some Saeco iron moulds I've had for 30 years that are still in fine shape, with no rust. I'm not sure what it is about iron cast bullet moulds - maybe the lead "plates" them or something? - but I've noted for many years that they just don't seem to rust nearly as badly as I'd think they would, compared to other iron things I have around. Can anyone opine on this, or perhaps have actual knowledge as to why this may be so?