PDA

View Full Version : Got some range time with new to me black powder guns today!

koger
07-12-2016, 11:46 PM
I traded for these a while back, just got to the range today to shoot some groups, zero etc., and see how they shot. First one is a Lyman Great Plains pistol, .54. Looks to be a kit gun, good shape. Second was a .45 rifle, 26" barrel, 1-66 twist, every part on it hand made except the barrel, which had Dixie gun work stamped on it's octagonal barrel. It is a mule ear with peep sight, hand made also, and is considered a New England buggy rifle, with a slim barrel, one piece stock, well put together, but needing refinished, as it's cold blue is thin, so is stock finish. Light as a feather. Now on to the shooting.

1. The lyman .54 pistol. I had changed sights to fixed sights, with a finer blade front, smaller notch in back, same height above the barrel flat as original. Shooting at 25 yds,the first 2 shots were way left, adjusted both sights to even it out, 3rd shot hit1" high over the dot I had pasted to the target, the size of a penny! Next 2 bracketed the dot, cutting it on each side. I was shooting .50 grains of 3ffg and .530 roundball, and .018 patch lubed with a liquid lube. I plan on hunting with this, therefore the heavy powder load for a handgun. A friend was at the range, letting his son shoot some old tennis balls, and had me take a shot at one at 35yds or so. Nailed it, and it landed about 50yds. I took 3 more shots, across a sandbag, and from 50-60 yds managed to hit it each time! I don't shoot a pistol that good, but was very pleased with it. My buddy offered that was a deer's heart every time. I took one last shot off hand with it, at 50 yards, shot about 2 inches over the tennis ball, I reckon that would work for deer, since I will be shooting from a stand or blind mostly with it.
2. The buggy rifle. I had traded for this on the condition it shot good, bore was pristine, guys told me the old gent who built it in Vermont used to clean up on some of the matches there with it. I did not hold much hope, as it was too dang light. Guys said he and his in laws had all taken deer with it. I snapped a couple of caps, poured 45grs of 3fffg down the barrel, followed by a ..018 pillow ticked .440roundball. First shot at 25 yds hit dead center, on the top half of the penny sized stick on dot, 2 shot just egged it a little. This got my attention. I shot another similar group, with 65grs 3ffg, same ball and patch, same results! The guy I bought it off of gave me the load data, and he was right on, good to find honest, knowledgeable folks these days. Moving to fifty yards, same size targets, 65 gr 3fffg powder load, 3 shot group off a bench was the size of a nickel, one big hole, about 1 and 1/2 inch over where I was holding, man this thing was on fire! I then shot 3 offhand at the same distance, had 1 about 1" high, an a bullet width right, next 2 cut the edge of the dot, with the off hand group going about 1 1/2 inches at 50 yds. I used to shoot local, state and national competitions at the NMLRA, did well, but not shooting ML's much except for hunting last 5 years, I felt I would be rusty, but most came back to me easily. It felt good to get off good clean shots off hand, as Elmer Keith would "Standing on Yer hind Legs an Shooting like a Man". Maybe I aint as old as I feel, been working 50+ hours a week since January, don't leave much time for the fun things in life! I may get someone to post pics for me later of guns and groups, Just thought I would share!