PDA

View Full Version : Pattern regulation muzzleloaders

Newtire
07-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Hi fellows,

I've been running across alot of info on grinding of the end of the muzzle on shotguns along one side to throw the pattern in the direction that has been ground off. Some of the screw in chokes are/were available with offset grinding service provided.

Has anyone here done such a thing and have any advice on it?

As usual, (no disrespect intended) I am really only interested in hearing from those who have tried this or actually know of someone who has. I have tried searching and find I waste alot of time reading threads where people end up haggling back & forth is all.

I know there are those who regulate using cool looking jigs & resoldering etc. but think it sounds reasonable that one might grind a bit??

I have an old single I might practice on first. My Pedersoli throws the left barrel to the outside. Stock adjustment won't help as that would throw off the good right barrel!

Any help would be appreciated for sure.

waksupi
07-13-2016, 12:16 AM
Try adjusting your loads, you may solve your problem that way. If you are shooting a double, they must be regulated, just as a double rifle are.

Newtire
07-13-2016, 06:02 AM
I'll give that a shot next then.

Do you mean like maybe having different loads in each barrel ?

BPJONES
07-13-2016, 08:37 AM
Yes, barrels on double shotguns are regulated when they are built but that doesn't mean they can't be off. It is not an uncommon problem and often it is one of the things that separates a lower end gun from a higher end gun. It takes time (and skill/patience) to regulate barrels properly. If you don't get any answers here that solve your problem, you could ask on doublegunshop forum. Barrel regulation has been discussed there a number of times. There are those on there who have tried the muzzle grinding so they could give you their experience/outcome. Those guys live and breath doubles.