PDA

View Full Version : Speer loads

ROCKET
07-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Anyone know what powder might Speer be using in their low recoil 38 spl loads? Would like to duplicate the same loads if I cloud

reddog81
07-12-2016, 03:08 PM
A starting load of Bullseye or a similar powder should get you most of the way there...
If I had to guess whatever powder Speer is probably not available for purchase.

runfiverun
07-12-2016, 04:28 PM
well speer is part of ATK which is Alliant technologies.
Alliant happens to make gun powder.

reddog81
07-12-2016, 04:49 PM
And you think they're just going to tell someone which powder and how much to use to replicate a factory load they sell?

scottfire1957
07-12-2016, 06:54 PM
simply use a Speer reloading manual. Or any reloading manual, and load the weight bullet speer does, at the velocity you desire.

MT Gianni
07-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Run them over a Chronograph and match their velocity with the fastest powder you have. If they group differently try slower powders at the same velocity until you match it assuming they are using a canister powder.

Scharfschuetze
07-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Too easy.

Good answers above. Here's my take:

While you will be able to match the projectiles, cases and primers, you'll probably not be able to exactly duplicate the "non-canister" powder they probably use. Still that's no big deal. Just load to the velocity of the selected Speer load by using a Speer loading manual and using the Alliant powder best suited to the bullet/velocity goal. Big companies like Speer often use non-canister powders for a monetary economy and they can and will change charges slightly from lot to lot of ammo to keep performance consistent. Store bought canister lots of powder that are available to us hobby reloaders take more effort to produce, but we get uniform results year after year because of that extra effort (and probably more expense) during production.

I load lots of "low recoil" or target loads in the 38 Special and Alliant Bullseye is my powder of choice for accuracy and uniform performance.

Blackwater
07-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Mt. Gianni nailed it.

runfiverun
07-12-2016, 08:44 PM
Scharfsheutze added some good detail too.

ROCKET
07-12-2016, 11:52 PM
Excellent points and very informative. Thanks.
I normally load 148 wc with 2.8 BE and 158 swc with 3.5 BE. I'll dig up my speer 12th edition manual and try loads they suggest.