PDA

View Full Version : Atonement

USMC87
07-12-2016, 08:44 AM
Yesterday I did a small sermon on the ark and today I want to add to that with the topic of Atonement. We know that Enoch was a Godly man and that he had a influence on his family, There were grand kids of Enoch during Noah's time but they were destroyed in the flood. Enoch's grand kids blended in with the corruption around them so that they could not be told apart from the world. This gives us the example we should be for those around us , kids, family, work, community and so on, We should constantly be sharing the Gospel and soaking in it ourselves. The ark was built of gopher wood and covered with pitch, The Hebrew meaning for both words is "covering" or Atonement. Those of Noah's family was shielded from the wrath of the flood by the covering of the gopher wood pitch "Atonement". We know by God's word that He is going to come again in vengeance toward those who have rejected Christ and have lived lives of lawlessness. There is only "one" way to escape the pending wrath and judgement of God, The covering "Atonement" of the blood of Christ. Just as all who were in the Noah's ark were shielded from the wrath of the flood, All who are in Christ Who is our ark are safe from wrath. It don't matter how good we are, How much we have done for people, How much we have gave to charity we can never do or be good enough. Remember the rich young ruler who came to Christ and called Him good Master? Christ said why do you call Me good? There is only one that's good and that is GOD. Christ can not be bought but instead it is Christ who paid our debt of sin and has the sales receipt, Today is the day we may face GOD and give account for ourselves, Are you "covered" by the atoning blood of Christ?

DerekP Houston
07-12-2016, 08:47 AM
not quite yet, but coming around to the idea. Thanks for the interesting read.

claude
07-12-2016, 11:40 AM
This is no attempt to hijack your thread, for in my eyes it ties in seamlessly, I have seen many who express the thoughts that as soon as they get good enough, they'll give their souls to God. It is a thought that is incorrect on two points, as stated above we can never be good enough, and secondly, God already owns us and we cannot give to Him that which He already owns;

Exodus 19:5 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+19:5&version=KJV)
Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:

Ezekiel 18:4 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ezekiel+18:4&version=KJV)
Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

For those who decide to "accept" Christ's blood, I can only warn of their arrogance, it is not a chip to be bargained, it is automatic upon belief.

Others are free to see it differently, that is the wonderful freedom He offers us.

Blackwater
07-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Great posts, guys. Thanks.

buckwheatpaul
07-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Outstanding posts...very thought provoking as well as BIBLICAL. The only time it is tooooo late to repent and atone for your evil ways is after your last breath....with that said....when you learn to turn it over to GOD, JESUS, and the Holy Spirit your life will become easier because God is walking with you and protecting you with his grace!

w5pv
07-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Amen.

Boaz
07-13-2016, 07:00 PM
USMC as usual I thank you for a good post and lesson . I always enjoy the lessons and material you put up . Thank you

DerekP Houston
07-13-2016, 07:03 PM
This is no attempt to hijack your thread, for in my eyes it ties in seamlessly, I have seen many who express the thoughts that as soon as they get good enough, they'll give their souls to God. It is a thought that is incorrect on two points, as stated above we can never be good enough, and secondly, God already owns us and we cannot give to Him that which He already owns;

Exodus 19:5 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+19:5&version=KJV)
Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:

Ezekiel 18:4 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ezekiel+18:4&version=KJV)
Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

For those who decide to "accept" Christ's blood, I can only warn of their arrogance, it is not a chip to be bargained, it is automatic upon belief.

Others are free to see it differently, that is the wonderful freedom He offers us.

Nope, I've made my path and will see it through. I've given over, just still figuring out where I fit in. Still a good read though thanks for sharing. Not like I didn't believe before it is just a bit more obvious lately. I can accept a handout or forgiveness with no question, but it doesn't make me want to pay it back or earn it any less.

Blackwater
07-13-2016, 08:52 PM
At some point, Derek, you WILL want to pay it back, but you'll realize that there's really no way to do that. As in another thread, God has "owned" us from day 1, and there's really nothing we can do, ultimately, but accept or reject what He freely offers us. That's what makes us real Christians, ultimately. It's very humbling, and the more prideful and motivated among us have to learn that, usually, over time and by degrees. Then, one day, almost as though it crept up on us in the night, "Bam!" There it is, and we almost don't know where it came from!

I told you before that you'd encounter some paradoxes along your way - things that seem impossible and/or contradictory, but yet, are really true. It's amazing how that works, and only realizing them can we truly grasp them, and their importance to us, and to all creation. Becoming a Christian is the most truly and deeply humbling thing I suspect there is in all of creation. And not everything will be as you'd expect it to be, but that's a GOOD thing, because it's always BETTER than we ever could have expected or projected it to be. There's great peace and satisfaction in understanding. And if we're not humble, we can't really "get" a lot of the better parts. That's why God keeps us humble, and has so many ways of humbling us along our ways. It's really for our own good, and the more we resist it, the more he humbles us. It's as though He knows much more of what we need than we do. And He does. How could it not be so, ultimately, with Him being God and us errant human beings?

We need to cast our bread upon the waters, for God needs us to DO something for Him to have something to bless, but even then, sometimes, when we reach a point where we think we've lost everything, He grabs us and lifts us up without our really knowing how He did it all, or sometimes even why. But the reason he does it is always the same. He simply loves us, and wants us to be happy. As WR said in another post, sometimes we advance most and become most satisfied, when we quit trying so hard, and just let Him bless us.

I know that's contradictory, but as I've said before, there have always been paradoxes in Christianity, and they're paradoxes because it's US who doesn't understand, not because they don't make sense or are not within the scope and power of God. Each of us is an individual, and we each want and need different things. But He gives us what we REALLY want and need, even when we didn't realize just what those things truly are, and always assumed that they were different from what we really want and need. You'll figure it out, but sometimes, it takes some time and further experience. God is working in you. Just keep letting Him work, and you'll wind up happier and more satisfied than you ever really imagined you could ever be. I promise, provided only that you keep seeking Him.