PDA

View Full Version : willow?

clearcut
07-11-2016, 10:23 AM
What is the better choice for black powder, green or dry willow? I have both I just don't want to waste my time doing some thing the hard way,

Thanks CC

Boz330
07-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Try both, although I doubt it will make a big difference. The manufacturers use dry wood. I have always used fresh wood and for what I'm doing it works fine. Grain for grain my home made gives more velocity that Swiss, although it isn't as dense.

Bob

w5pv
07-11-2016, 11:17 AM
I would think that dry wood would be better.

mold maker
07-11-2016, 01:01 PM
I harvest and strip in the Spring and early Summer. It dries til I get to char it. I don't find a difference between fresh and dried except the green needs more heat/time to cook off the added moisture.
When green, I do use smaller dia. pieces to conserve fuel. In the Winter I just put the loaded retort in my wood furnace on a bed of coals until the steam and volatiles are burned off.

Plane340
07-11-2016, 02:04 PM
It shouldn't matter much other than how long it takes to cook off in the retort. That being said I only use dry. Also, I used to be very confused as to why some sources would say use "Hardwood" and some sources would say use "Softwood". Now I understand that one might be better than the other, but I'm pretty sure that both are not right. BUT, what it all boils down to is nomenclature. When I heard hardwood what I assumed was dense wood. But this is not always what is meant. Old timers and cabinet makers call hard wood any wood that comes from a deciduous tree ( leaves fall off every year) they call soft wood any tree that is a conifer. Balsa is a hardwood if you use this difinition. Therefore lots of trees are acceptable for making reasonably good charcoal out of. Simply find a Hardwood using the above definition with the lowest density you can find. It is my understanding that most of the black powder manufactured for the South during the Civil War was made out of cottonwood.

BTW, if you want black powder that is very close to store bought, there is no replacement for using the ball mill method. It's safer, cleaner, and will produce outstanding results.

Boz330
07-11-2016, 02:20 PM
It shouldn't matter much other than how long it takes to cook off in the retort. That being said I only use dry. Also, I used to be very confused as to why some sources would say use "Hardwood" and some sources would say use "Softwood". Now I understand that one might be better than the other, but I'm pretty sure that both are not right. BUT, what it all boils down to is nomenclature. When I heard hardwood what I assumed was dense wood. But this is not always what is meant. Old timers and cabinet makers call hard wood any wood that comes from a deciduous tree ( leaves fall off every year) they call soft wood any tree that is a conifer. Balsa is a hardwood if you use this difinition. Therefore lots of trees are acceptable for making reasonably good charcoal out of. Simply find a Hardwood using the above definition with the lowest density you can find. It is my understanding that most of the black powder manufactured for the South during the Civil War was made out of cottonwood.

BTW, if you want black powder that is very close to store bought, there is no replacement for using the ball mill method. It's safer, cleaner, and will produce outstanding results.

A better way to think of it is a fast growing tree. I have been using Tree of Heaven for the last few years and it gives me about 50fps more velocity than the willow I was using. Plus it is plentiful on my farm and is considered an invasive species. You can almost stand still and watch it grow.

Bob

John Boy
07-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Gather branches in the Spring when the glucose is in the wood - rick until dry - strip bark - make your charcoal. Swiss ricks their Alder Buckthorn for 3 years

mold maker
07-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Peeling the bark from fresh green wood is much less a chore. As the sap rises and the limbs put on more girth, it loosens the bark so you can peel it with your finger nails.
Also if it the wood has had insect damage, carve out the dark areas, or at least that's what I was told.

clearcut
07-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the info I'll try the dry willow that I have and use a ball mill too,there are trees of heaven here locally so I will try them as well.

CC

johnson1942
07-14-2016, 10:04 PM
if glucose is needed will sugar maple or boxelder work taken in the spring time?