PDA

View Full Version : Old K22

Drm50
07-11-2016, 02:39 AM
Just picked up a nice old 5 screw pre 17, K22. Very good shape action smooth as butter. Not crazy about grips, must have belonged to Roy Rodgers. 1st mission is
to find correct S&W grips. Shot a couple boxes this AM, old gun is a keeper.

azrednek
07-11-2016, 02:52 AM
Nice find!! I'm in agreement on the grips. Looks more like it belonged to Dale. The old original S&W grips aren't exactly an easy find or low cost. I put repro grips from Indo-China for my old pre-war N-frame 38. I just couldn't compete with the deep pockets on Ebay and there is no guarantee the grips are original.

Andyd
07-11-2016, 05:07 AM
They old K-22s are very nice guns and great shooters. By the look of the extractor rod on yours, it has been shoot some but been well cared for. Yours seems to have a target hammer and I am not sure if I can see the trigger stop, which can be swung out and help with overtravel.

I have my 1952 vintage K-22 since a few decades and it is as accurate as a handgun can be. I took the original grips off and replaced them with Nills for sheer comfort.

Beau Cassidy
07-11-2016, 01:55 PM
Very good one. That was my second purchase way back when after I got a job working in a grocery store in high school. The first purchase was a watch. My brother was the last to fire mine on 12-23-1998.

smoked turkey
07-11-2016, 09:08 PM
That one is a keeper for sure. I have one that my dad bought probably 60 plus years ago. It is as smooth as butter and its a keeper too. I agree with you and the others about the grips. If you don't find any you can shoot me a PM and I'll see if I have a set. I know I have some old Smith grips of some sort.

joatmon
07-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Nice Smith! I have the smaller frame model. Beau, I'm afraid to ask how you remember that date!

Aaron

Beau Cassidy
07-12-2016, 10:44 PM
Nice Smith! I have the smaller frame model. Beau, I'm afraid to ask how you remember that date!

Aaron

I wish I didn't have to. I still have the 5 rounds and empty single hull. Everything is in the brown paper bag from the Sheriff's Office. I periodically take it out and oil it.

M-Tecs
07-12-2016, 10:54 PM
I wish I didn't have to. I still have the 5 rounds and empty single hull. Everything is in the brown paper bag from the Sheriff's Office. I periodically take it out and oil it.

Sorry for your loss.

Something very similar for me. Mine was almost 30 years ago and I still second guess myself.

Drm50
07-18-2016, 10:50 PM
I can't win, went to buy a set of S&W target grips for K22, ended up with them and another old
k22 with old beater grips, a little more exterior wear but tight and newer gun. I ended up putting
Target grips on it and am on the hunt for another set of decent S&W K targets for the old 5 screw.
Took plastic stags off it and put beater grips on it, Those stags were giving me nightmares.