PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Question

TXGunNut
07-10-2016, 11:27 PM
I was asked by a new friend at the WACA dinner in Cody last night what guns I cast for. At first I didn't know how to answer; I finally said "almost every gun I shoot". Some collectors actually shoot their guns and I can't think of a better boolit for older firearms than good ol' lead.
How do you answer this question?

Scharfschuetze
07-10-2016, 11:49 PM
Other than the 22 varmint or military rounds, I cast or have cast for just about everything from 25 through 50 calibres. I don't always shoot cast in all rifles, but I certainly can at any time I want to. Lever guns and single shots (Trapdoors) get the most cast boolit use.

GWM
07-11-2016, 03:44 AM
I don't cast for .22LR :)

Shiloh
07-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Everything I shoot. Other than .22 LR that is.

Shiloh

GRUMPA
07-11-2016, 11:16 AM
I was asked by a new friend at the WACA dinner in Cody last night what guns I cast for. At first I didn't know how to answer; I finally said "almost every gun I shoot". Some collectors actually shoot their guns and I can't think of a better boolit for older firearms than good ol' lead.
How do you answer this question?

I answer like you do, but 95% of the time they're doing what I call fishing. In other words the conversation gets around to how much will you charge me to load some up for me. At that point, and sometimes sooner, I'll let them know I don't do it for anyone but myself but I'll give you a list of what you need and I'll teach you. And to date.....I never taught anyone yet and I've been doing it for around 30yrs now.

w5pv
07-11-2016, 11:26 AM
2nd the everything I shoot except .22 LR

Walter Laich
07-11-2016, 11:46 AM
I answer like you do, but 95% of the time they're doing what I call fishing. In other words the conversation gets around to how much will you charge me to load some up for me. At that point, and sometimes sooner, I'll let them know I don't do it for anyone but myself but I'll give you a list of what you need and I'll teach you. And to date.....I never taught anyone yet and I've been doing it for around 30yrs now.

I've been lucky enough to teach two cowboy shooters casting. I started out doing it with them watching, let them try it and next thing I knew they took their molds home and went to town.
We still correspond and questions/answers come and go both ways

gwpercle
07-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Every firearm I own , except 22 LR . And I might start doing them when/if the supply dries up again.

Gary

quilbilly
07-11-2016, 08:03 PM
All but three - My 204 (cannot imagine my arthritic fingers holding something that small), one of my 222 Rems that loves "hot" loads too much to change, and my old, old 6mm Rem that loves any jacketed but would never give a group smaller than 3-1/2" with CB's no matter what I tried.

mold maker
07-11-2016, 08:47 PM
A gun I that don't cast for, is just taking up safe space, except for 22LR.
I've looked really seriously at reloading them.
Casting and loading is half the fun.