PDA

View Full Version : Springfield or Taurus with SWC?

JohnClark7886
05-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Will be casting my own .45 SWC's and need some advice. I am looking at getting a Springfield XD45 in the 5" barrel but read where someone had problems in shooting SWC in it, has anyone else had any experiece with semi wad cutters in the XD45? Also what about the Taurus 24/7...same question, anyone with any real world experience with the Taurus and SWC's? If cast SWC's don't work in either of these two, what cast bullets would you recommend in these that do work?
Thanks

xcrider
05-22-2008, 09:41 AM
I've tried Oregon Trail SWC and my own cast 200gr SWC from a Lyman mold in my XD and gave up. It hammered the back side of my mag because upon recoil / ejection the spent case would catch the new round in the mag and push it back. I have 230gr RN Lyman mould that shoots just fine in my XD. I have shot some FP's from Rainer in the XD with success as well. Just stay away from the SWC and you'll be happy.

9.3X62AL
05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
No experience with either of the pistol makes/models you mention, but my Glock 21 will occassionally stuff up when feeding Lyman #452460 or any H&G 68 duplicator SWC designs. This happens when the boolit is seated with its shoulder flush with the case mouth. If I extend the seating length to .020"-.035" of the boolit's front shoulder outside the case mouth, the incidence of stoppages declines to practically zero. Those SWCs sure cut nice, clean holes in paper!

Lyman #452374--the old-school hardball RN duplicator--will feed in just about any 45 ACP without too much fuss and bother, even GI 1911A1-series with rough ramps and throats. Harder alloys like 92/6/2 are sometimes needed to ensure complete reliability--WW metal can be a little "sticky" on rough ramps, for lack of a better descriptor. These RN casting shoot very accurately if cast consistently, but cut ragged holes in paper that target shooters aren't fond of seeing due to the chance of point loss on indistinct line cuts.

The Lee truncated cone designs are VERY GOOD designs for most pistols. These feed flawlessly whether seated with taper origin flush to the case mouth, or extended .020" (my method). Their behavior in paper is almost as clean as the SWC, just a little fuzz at the edges. They are quite accurate to boot.

High Desert Hunter
05-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I have a Lee 6 holer that drops a good 200gr SWC, and my Springfield 1911 has been fed thousands of them.

DanM
05-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Maybe you should buy some commercial SWCs and try them at different OALs before getting the mold. If you can make the commercial boolits work, then buy the same mold and cast away. The Lee 'button nose' 200swc with the TL design usually feeds well when you get the OAL right for your pistol. Accurate too, but my .45acp experience is limited to 1911s. YMMV....