PDA

View Full Version : Jake70 - Guayacan 1911 Grips

Char-Gar
07-09-2016, 02:07 PM
When I returned from five years in Ecuador in 1981, I brought a chunk of guayacan wood back thinking it would make some good handgun grips. A few weeks ago I sent said chunk of wood to Jake70 to makes some grips. He made me two sets of 1911 grips and I like them very much.

Guayacan is extremely hard being about 100 times harder than oak and is high in resins. This stuff will sink like a brick in water and out of water sheds water like a ducks back.

Here are the grips on my "Brush Pistol", a good Norinco 1911A1, to which I have fitted a Colt barrel, bushing, trigger and better fixed sights. It also has good Wolfe springs throughout. It is more accurate than I am, very rugged and shoots to the sights. Now it is perfected with wood grips that are as rugged as it is.

I don't do much brush popping anymore, but at home this pistol is seldom out of reach. I trust it that much.

dougader
07-10-2016, 01:13 AM
It's much harder to come by now. I've been there 4 times to visit in-laws and can never find any chunks big enough to work with.

Char-Gar
07-10-2016, 09:41 AM
All of my furniture was made of guayacan in a local shop in Quito. I got this chunk from them. It was just a scrap they had laying around. I wanted to bring the furniture back to the States, but the cost would have been prohibitive.

Guayacan is available from wood sellers here in the US.

OS OK
07-10-2016, 11:46 AM
That looks great Char...does it have a different feel now? Ole Jake70's got a growing business going now, why not add your pic's to the other thread too, build a scrapbook for Jake so others might order?
He's working up another set for me too.