PDA

View Full Version : Swedish M96 Mauser

alamogunr
05-21-2008, 07:38 PM
I just bought a Model 96 Mauser. I've wanted one for some time but never could pull the trigger when one was available that I felt I couldn't pass up. I should have this one next week. I don't have a single 6.5mm mold though. I would like to get one mold that I could use for this rifle. Does anyone have a recommendation? Any other info that might be helpful would also be appreciated.
John
W.TN

dbldblu
05-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I started with Lyman 266469 which is a Loveren design. It shot well but I couldn't really keep the gas check in the neck; it protruded into the body of the case slightly. It shot well for the most part but it bugged me that it was seated so deep for my M96. Then I picked up a Lyman 266673. This is the one I would recommend. It is a bore rider and chambers from the magazine just slick as can be. It is extremely accurate. This combination may be my most accurate cast boolit gun.

alamogunr
05-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to look into ordering the 266673 mold tomorrow along with a sizing die and top punch and gas checks. Might as well do it right. One more question. Can the 266673 be loaded out far enough so that the GC is in the neck?

dbldblu
05-22-2008, 07:02 PM
The 266673 can be loaded much longer wihich keeps the check in the neck.

garandsrus
05-23-2008, 01:08 AM
alamogunr,

What do you plan to size to, and what die are you going to get? Buckshot made a .268 die for me. I think that Lyman only makes a .266.

If you want to try some boolits sized to .268, let me know...

John

alamogunr
05-23-2008, 07:44 AM
alamogunr,

What do you plan to size to, and what die are you going to get? Buckshot made a .268 die for me. I think that Lyman only makes a .266.

If you want to try some boolits sized to .268, let me know...

John

Thanks for the offer. I guess I will have to slug the barrel or somehow get a measurement of the throat. Is this one of those rifles that has little or no throat like the K-31?

I did not receive notification that the rifle had been shipped so it will probably be the end of next week before I get it. Part of the delay is that I don't have access to a fax. I had to send my C&R by mail.
John

garandsrus
05-23-2008, 03:44 PM
alamogunr,

The throat on the 6.5 hasn't been a problem for the two I have...

John

mtgrs737
06-05-2008, 01:36 AM
The group buy that garandsrus ran a few months back was for a 130 grain Lovern style GC boolit that drops out of my mould around .2695". I just loaded up some and shot them yesterday, they did very well. You will find that most of the M96 Swedes will need a larger boolit than the Lyman will cast. I too had buckshot make me a sizing die, I think that mine goes .2683" Buckshot will also make you a top punch if you ask him, I am pleased with his work on my dies. Good luck!

labop
06-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I am new to the list but have cast for 40 years mostly BPCR and .30 military. I would like try my Swede with cast. I have no sizer dies or gas checks at this point. Who is this Buckshot that makes custom sizer dies? The groove diameter on my rifle is .2665 with a .2695 throat. I have shot some .264 commercial cast and got 4" groups at 100yds. Not good compared to my 03. Is there someone who would sell me some larger bullet to try? What is the as cast diameter of the 266673 from Lyman?

thanks
Labop

mtgrs737
06-10-2008, 11:59 AM
labop,

Midsouth Shooters Supply sells a Lee 170 grain oversized boolit mould in their specialty mould area for around $20. This boolit is called the cruise missille here if you do a search you will find posts on it. You may be able to shoot it as cast without sizing, however Buckshot will make you a sizing die and top punch for it if you would like. Just look him up on the members list and send him a PM. I also had Lee custom alter a set of their collet dies to load this larger diameter boolit, they only charged $10 and that included return shipping! Give Lee a call for the details.

JSH
06-10-2008, 02:05 PM
mtgrs737
Sounds like the same boat I got into. Iwas actually looking for a 7mm Mauser of some type, just to tinker with. I have a weakness for 7mm of about that case capacity and less.
I ran across my 96 for a heak of a price. I didn't have one single thing in 6.5. I finally aquired some new brass and found a set of Redding dies. I did shoot it a couple of times with some of the milsurp ammo that came with it. It sat idle and lonley for almost two years. I did do a bunch or reading here and there on the Swedes. There wasn't much light at the end of the tunnel from what I read. It sounded to be a pretty finicky round as to what it would like in a CB. I grabbed a mould on ebite and tried to cast a few. Had a hard time of it and never did cast a decent looking boolit. I loaned it to a friend and fellow shooter. He fooled with it and found out the sprue plate was the wrong one.
Now it cast a dandy looking boolit. I finally got a sizer die and GC's. ALL of the reading I did suggested it didn't like speed with CB's and standard weight for caliber bullets,130+- 150ish. So the fellow I loaned the mould to gave me a load I had seen him do well with. 11.0 of unique. I have yet to shoot it on paper but the recoil is nill, maybe like a squib load in a 30-30 at the most.
I didn't have anything to bell the case mouth with. So I did some digging around in my treasures. I found a 270M die. Ran a case up into it and kept fooling with it till it belled it enought hat it would take a CB with no problem..
I was going to seat and crimp but remembered that there was some issues on throat and neck size. I set the boolits out far enough to just touch rifling. The way I belled it, I figured it may help to center the case.
I did do a chamber cast but have since melted it down for somthing else. I left well enough alone and just shot the old battle club. I do want to run some over the chrono as I may have to give the milsurp shoots around a try. Some of the fellows just hate to bested by a foreign rifle,lol.
Jeff

labop
06-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Mtgrs 737

This 170 grain oversize from Midsouth.....what caliber is that?

Labop

alamogunr
06-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Mtgrs 737

This 170 grain oversize from Midsouth.....what caliber is that?

Labop

Looked at Mid-South. The mold is a 6.5 mm. They show it on order and not expected before 7/31. I still have to slug my barrel and check the throat but I may order one of these when it gets a little closer to delivery.

mtgrs737
06-10-2008, 11:02 PM
They are refered to as the "Cruise Missile" here, if you do a search on that you will pull up much. I also have the GB 130gr. Lovern style that I am working with now. You will like the Midsouth bullet as it is oversized and fits the Swede's bore. Good luck!