PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the hornady brand BP cleaner/ lube ?

RU shooter
07-08-2016, 06:46 PM
http://m.hornady.com/store/One-Shot-Muzzleloader-Cleaner-and-Protectant/

was wondering how this compared to the hoppes#9 plus not so much as a cleaner but for a patch lube. My previous rifles had deep grooves and could use just about any lube in it all afternoon and not have any problems shooting 30 shots or more before it started getting hard to load , now I have a shallow groove TC barrel and except for spit patch I'm wiping every other shot . I've heard great things about the Hoppes plus was wondering if this product was similar in performance as a patch lube .

Tim

Tatume
07-13-2016, 12:55 PM
Hi Tim,

Personally I like a mixture of one part Ballistol to three parts water. I use it for patch lube, and then use it for cleaning the gun. I don't know if it is better than the Hornady stuff, but it certainly works well for me.

Take care, Tom

Maven
07-13-2016, 04:28 PM
RUs, I do what Tom does, but use 1 Ballistol : 6 water as a patch lube and cleaner, although I don't have to clean at all when using this mixture. As for Hoppes #9 BP, I've read it has been discontinued, but Mr. Flintlock's Patch Lube is supposed to be excellent as well, as are some of the water soluble machining oils, e.g., Kleen Draw.* As a bbl. preservative/rust inhibitor, I use WD-40, Marvel Mystery Oil, ATF, or a combination of these: No rust ever!

*PM Don Diego about this if interested.

rfd
07-13-2016, 05:47 PM
i used to use 1:6 ballistol:water for both patch dry lube, and as cleaner after shooting, but have switched to the original lehigh valley patch lube. the stuff is excellent and does it all, from the final barrel/lock cleaner (after using pure water), to using it as a protection after the cleaning process of barrel and lock (replacing wd40), to lubing patch strips or patches. as a patch lube, i can shoot rifles and smoothbores all day with no fouling cleaning - not once, never. works great on white powder firearms, too. i like it enuf that i just ordered out a gallon. www.lehighvalleylube.com (http://www.lehighvalleylube.com)

Toymaker
07-13-2016, 06:18 PM
1 part machinist water soluble oil (the brown stuff, not blue - smells like oil, feels like oil, tastes like oil).
7 parts water.
Wet the patch strip, strip out the excess liquid and put it on a non-porous horizontal surface to dry. Roll and store in 35mm film canisters.
Best patch lube I've found. Good cleaner too.
Add 1 part of Pinesol, Lestoil or Simple Green to make a super cleaner.

BUT nothing cleans better than warm water and soap.

izzyjoe
07-13-2016, 07:15 PM
I use the Dutch Shultz method, same as described above, but I also use ballistol 1-6.

1Hawkeye
07-15-2016, 12:45 AM
I use just plain old water, either hot or cold depending on how bad the barrel is then dry and oil.
I also found out that 2x2 gauze bandage pads make great cleaning patches from .40 to .58 caliber they are porous and pull out a lot of powder fowling when cleaning.

Oops I forgot to mention that I use t/c bore butter on pillow ticking for a patch and lube.

RU shooter
07-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Thanks all lots of good ideas there . long as I shoot can 10-15 shots before I need to swab the bore I'd be happy . I'll try the ballistiol and water first as I already some of that and try it out. Was using a BW /olive oil lube before and could only go 2 shots in that TC barrel with a 490 ball. 015 patch combo

Thanks , Tim

rfd
07-15-2016, 07:15 AM
for a no muss/no fuss prelube on patch strips that works excellent i'd recommend the bpcr 'gato feo' home brew lube. same stuff i use for greasing .45-70 bullets. by weight, a mix of 1 part paraffin wax (gulf), 1 part mutton tallow (dixie gun works) and 1/2 part beeswax (easy to find online). melt double boiler style and store in small cans for remelting or muffin paper for peeling off. it's pretty soft and can be just rubbed into yer patch strips and melted down well with a hair dryer or heat gun or just left out in the sun. i used this lube on patching and never had to resort to fouling control with various muzzleloaders from .45 to .62 calibers.

RU shooter
07-15-2016, 04:49 PM
Question about the 1:6 ballastoil water lube is it for strictly a dry lube method or cans it also be used if the patches are a touch damp just as effectively ? Also how would this be for a "hunting " lube if the gun will sit loaded for a week or three ? This would be for the dried patches of course

Thanks ,Tim

rfd
07-15-2016, 05:32 PM
no, you can spray it wet on a patch and use it as you would a spit patch. the "dry" lube patch is good for a month or three. ")

True.grit
07-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Murphy's soap and alcohol 50/50. Works everytime and cheap to make.

dondiego
07-16-2016, 04:22 PM
Murphy's soap and alcohol 50/50. Works everytime and cheap to make.

Is that for patch lube, bore cleaner, or both?

True.grit
07-17-2016, 12:07 AM
Is that for patch lube, bore cleaner, or both?
All of the above. its simple. Try it you will like it. I used 90% rubbing alcohol.

dondiego
07-17-2016, 12:50 PM
Thanks T.g, will give it a try.

Don