PDA

View Full Version : What size ball ? Nube needs help

mm1ut1
07-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Rifle has .359" at the lands and .365" groove diameter. I assume it's 36 cal. I bought some Hornady balls. They measure.350" diameter. With a patch they slide in easily. I always thought a patched ball on a rifled musket took some effort to insert. I used a cotton cleaning patch. Maybe use two patches ? Is a .350" ball right ? This is my first foray into muzzle loading. Thanks !

rfd
07-08-2016, 02:36 PM
in light of yer request, there really is no right or wrong, only what works "best" - ease of loading and at least good accuracy. sounds like ya do have a .36 caliber, and .350 balls should work at last reasonably well. use good patch material (tight yarn count cotton) and see how she goes. i'd try both .010" and .015" for starters. have fun!

mooman76
07-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Cotton cleaning patches are generally thin and not strong enough. You probably need something more along the line of pillow ticking. It doesn't have to be pillow ticking but should be a natural fiber like cotton but dense and strong like it. It should be a snug fit at least and some prefer a tight fit but not really needed.

pietro
07-08-2016, 06:24 PM

If I can't locate an old feather-stuffed pillow to steal it's ticking, I obtain my pillow ticking from the fabric department of a Wal-Mart, or a national chain fabric store (like Jo-Ann's Fabric).

I keep a supply of both red & blue stripe ticking, which have a different thickness.

I run new ticking through my household clothes washer a few times, to remove the sizing that the fabric mill usually applies to the ticking.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Jbs7ZoWS8GI/SnCcOccUaQI/AAAAAAAAA8Q/dYN3CMb3l2s/s200/pillow+ticking.jpg

mm1ut1
07-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks all !

Buckshot Bill
07-12-2016, 08:23 PM
my .36 measures almost the same. I use a .350 ball and a .015 patch and get excellent accuracy, you won't finger start the ball though.

Golfswithwolves
07-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Some folks believe that the load should go down the bore with a lot of resistance, feeling that this type of ball/patch combination gives superior accuracy. I have found this to be a tough way to load, and prefer to be able to slide the ball and patch down the bore more easily with the ramrod. You just have to decide which way you think works better for your own purposes.

higgins
07-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Years ago, I started keeping the legs of jeans I was going to discard. The thigh area and knees are usually worn thin and are handy for patches of various thicknesses and the legs below the knees are about original thickness so they're good for things like sandbags and dust covers for presses, etc.

Just make sure the material is 100% cotton.