PDA

View Full Version : OK I sucumb to the black and getting a Shiloh in 45-70

Just Duke
05-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I gave up looking at the Winchesters and Browning

This will replace the ideas of the Winchester in 45-70. They said 4 months. (I have a friend ;))

I will shoot black powder now.... ;D

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/50%20CALIBERFORUM/SHILOSHARPS.jpg

1874 SPORTER #1 with a shotgun butt plate and pewter tip forend.

$1754
Standard Grade Wood (shown here with extra-fancy wood)
Shotgun Butt stock
Cheek Rest
Pistol Grip
Double Set Triggers
30” Barrel: heavy, heavy/half, standard or standard half
Buckhorn Rear Sight: full or semi
Blade Front Sight
30 inch octagon barrel

Wayne Smith
05-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Duke, you will never be unhappy coming over. Black is easier to clean, more fun than a barrel of monkeys, and you get gobs of attention at the range. I shoot my 44-40's with black and have a ball, so has everyone else who shoots them. C&B pistols obviously BP only, and also lots of fun. Shooting muzzle loaders or C&B pistols slows down the whole shooting process. Same with cartridges when you use a blow tube.

Just Duke
05-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks Wayne. I owe it all to Bill Bagwell of Goex Powder. We hit it off real well and we chatted for 1 hour about all my misconceptions. He also told me and showed pics of his hunting trips.

Old Ironsights
05-21-2008, 05:16 PM
You finally understand the power of the Dark Side...

Welcome to the Legions of the Sith... ;)

I also just sold my M4. My 1886 is more than capable at ranges far beyond that of the lowly
.22(3)... even with (un)Holy Black.

My .357 M92 takes up the close-in slack.

RISE Legions of DOOM... We can make our own propelant! Fear our Wroth! :twisted:

Jon K
05-21-2008, 05:52 PM
How's the saying go?....... "Bet you can't have just one"

Once you get hooked, there is no turning back............ UPS, Fed Ex, USPS.......they'll be lined up delivering Goodies, you'll be on first name basis with them, and the suppliers like BACO.
Oh, and did I forget forget to mention the Custom Mould Makers. Like a never-ending list. But more fun the more you get into it.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

kodiak1
05-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Duke you sure won't regret it after you get it.
Ken.

beemer
05-21-2008, 09:13 PM
When you let loose the first shot and someone in the bunch runs out in the middle of the cloud and takes a deep breath you know you are in the right place. Black only, all the fake stuff stinks!

beemer

Jon K
05-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Duke,

While you're waiting for the Shiloh, try some BP in your Lever guns...............a lot of fun.

Jon

longhorn
05-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Bagwell speaks the truth. Value his information--he'll tell you how to start developing a load. As for the Shiloh, I may have mine buried with me.

Yance
05-21-2008, 10:05 PM
http://powderinc.com/

Best deals around.

You'll be needin' PLENTY of it.:mrgreen:

Check out LAR45's black powder lube while you're waiting for delivery.

Southern Son
05-22-2008, 03:54 AM
Duke, ARs are fun (you can't own them in Oz, but I got to play with them in my previous job and I got to fool around with some M16s while I was in the army reserves). BPCR, on the other hand, is like breathing, you can stop doing it for a while, but not for long, and the longer you go without doing it, the more desparately you need to do it. Welcome to the Dark Side, Soot Lord.

Just Duke
05-22-2008, 04:01 AM
http://powderinc.com/

Best deals around.

You'll be needin' PLENTY of it.:mrgreen:

Check out LAR45's black powder lube while you're waiting for delivery.

Thanks for the link Yance.
Thanks all for your support guys. :drinks:

Just Duke
05-22-2008, 06:56 AM
I was going to ask 6ptsika this when he called me today and forgot.
I don't neeed gas checks with this in 45-70 do I? Bill Bagwell said to use a 510 grain bullet.
The cool thing is I met a bunch of guys here in Vegas that all they shoot is Shilohs and black powder. Real nice guys and it would be nice to run with a bunch that wasn't pumped full of testosterone as I see in the tactical bunch I USED! to run with. These old guys know their Bad A%$ess and don't have to run around pounding their chests. lol
I will be the young punk of the lot at my age of 50. lol

Marbles sent me several boxes of tang sight so I am going to sending the solid frame Wichester1886 off to Turnbulls and have the sights installed and the freekin hole in the tag welded up for the wife to shoot BP through. Should be a hoot.

Just Duke
05-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Guess I'll set my Dillon 650's up for BP, huh?

Just kidding. ;)

I'm gonna need a lyman BP powder measure now. Don't seem like it will ever stop.
Think I'll keep and eye out for an old Lyman press too.....

Wayne Smith
05-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Duke, take everything Bill tells you as gospel. He's seen the elephant and come back. If you don't understand, ask a different way. He's very willing to help but has little patience for fools. Sometimes I qualify as the latter.

Anyway, he's probably talking about a Postal or 347125 clone, cut by one of the custom cutters. This is a plain base boolit, no gc required. Ron Brooks makes a good one. There are several other makers. Your guys at the club can clue you in and probably supply some samples to shoot until you get your mold. You can also try a few of theirs to see how they shoot in your rifle. This hobby is very rifle specific, that is, each rifle is a rule to itself.

Boz330
05-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the dark side. Used to play those run around shoot-em-up games myself till I discovered BPCR. Still do it a little but just for grins and giggles. Hitting little metal critters at rediculous ranges with slow heavy boolits is my passion now.[smilie=b:
You won't find a better bunch of guys. Most of them have been there done that and don't need to prove it to anybody anymore. And they will share their secrets with you and give you beer while the explain it.:drinks:

Bob

Just Duke
05-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Duke, take everything Bill tells you as gospel. He's seen the elephant and come back. If you don't understand, ask a different way. He's very willing to help but has little patience for fools. Sometimes I qualify as the latter.

Anyway, he's probably talking about a Postal or 347125 clone, cut by one of the custom cutters. This is a plain base boolit, no gc required. Ron Brooks makes a good one. There are several other makers. Your guys at the club can clue you in and probably supply some samples to shoot until you get your mold. You can also try a few of theirs to see how they shoot in your rifle. This hobby is very rifle specific, that is, each rifle is a rule to itself.

Yep that is exactly what he said to use. Wayne.

Just Duke
05-30-2008, 12:49 AM

Another 1 1/2 hour conversation with Bill today. Bill has join us at www.nassnet.net and is now the moderator of the Sharps forum. Cool! :-D

garandsrus
05-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Duke,

You might want to make sure that the rifle you are getting is "Sillywet" legal weight if you think you might play that game. I think the weight limit is somewhere around 10.5lbs and I know that some of the Sharps won't meet it.

John

Boz330
05-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Duke,

You might want to make sure that the rifle you are getting is "Sillywet" legal weight if you think you might play that game. I think the weight limit is somewhere around 10.5lbs and I know that some of the Sharps won't meet it.

John

Actually it is just over 12lbs, either 3 or 4 ozs, don't remeber exactly. Big thing is holding that weight up for the offhand Chickens.

Bob

Jon K
05-30-2008, 09:06 AM
12 lb 2 oz- NRA Rules.

#1 - 30" Heavy Half- 45-70 with sights should make weight no problem.

Jon

LIMPINGJ
05-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Don't forget that Bill is the man to see if you need a Bowie to go with your Sharps.

EDK
06-06-2008, 12:00 AM
You might want to run up to the Quigley shoot (or one of the others)and look around. Plus hang out over at shilohrifle.com/forums. There are some things not on your list that you might consider if you are ordering a rifle, as opposed to buying one off the rack or used.

I had Shiloh drill, tap and install MVA scope mount bases when they built Leah (My BIG 50; anybody know Lucinda, Ellen and Heather at Shiloh.) Sights are a big piece of your cost on a rifle...and the last place to cheap out! I bought the windgauge MVA front sight for an extra $100+ and wouldn't do it again...looks neat, just a little too big to be practical.

The side trip to Big Timber is a big part of the annual pilgrimage to the Quigley shoot. Buy a few things at Shiloh and then go across the street to C.Sharps to check out their book rack. The gun shop/quick shop on the main street (the Fort) has some stuff worth looking at also; had some of Wolfgang Droege's guns last year or the year before.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

4060MAY
06-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Dukem
Check out the site nassnet.net, should it be lassnet.net?