PDA

View Full Version : New Caster

AFretired
05-21-2008, 03:47 PM
I am new to casting and was interested in finding out if there is anything I need to do to a new mold before casting for the first time?? Have Lyman handbook but it doesn't cover any of the extra tips. Anyone know of a better book on Casting??

docone31
05-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I got a brand new Lee mold. I fired up my pot, dipped the mold into the melted lead untill it fell off the mold. Spread some beeswax on the pivot points, and cast away.
I got great results right out of the box.
I had been cleaning the molds with brake cleaner, then smoking the molds.
I got the same results with this mold dry.
Could be it is aluminum. It worked great right out of the box. We will see next casting session.

Wayne Smith
05-21-2008, 04:29 PM
All molds have machine oil left on them. This should be cleaned off first, thus the brake cleaner, soapy water, etc. The cavities have to be clean or the boolits will be wrinkled. Overly cool mold or overly cool lead will cause wrinkles, too. If your mold is hot and your melt is over 650 degrees its probably oil in the cavity.

Alchemist
05-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Me too! Retired from the AF in 1999.

As far as your question...I usually clean my moulds with Gunscrubber, brake cleaner would do the same thing. If the mould still has oil on it, it won't cast good boolits!

Cruise around the forums or use search to get specifics...there are a lot of very knowledgable guys here who are happy to help. Just be careful if you go to Group Buys or Swappin & Sellin...you'll end up spending $$$$!!! lol

See ya around the site!

Cheers :drinks:

Alchemist

waksupi
05-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Welcome aboard. You are on the best source of casting info available. We are recommended as an info source by Lyman.

runfiverun
05-21-2008, 08:41 PM
i don't think there is a better book readily available
with iron molds i clean them with brake cleaner and a rag twice......
then let the mold sit on the edge of the pot while it warms up then cast about ten casts with large sprews and usually spill a little. then move those off to the side and start casting.

DLCTEX
05-21-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't like beeswax for mold lube as it cooks to a hard carbon layer that is almost impossible to remove. I use Bullplate lube from our own Bullshop (scroll to bottom of page). You can also use the silver anti-size grease bought at auto parts stores, according to some recent posts. Lube the pivot pin and the alignment pins, then the top of the mold (avoid getting it in the cavities) and the sprueplate, top and bottom. This will make the mold run better and will lessen wear.
This is applied to a hot mold in minute amounts. DALE