PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the NOE 452-230 Large HP Mold?

Possum Lickaa
07-07-2016, 02:34 PM
I am considering adding this mold to my budding collection. My only concern is the very small bearing surface left on the nose of the boolit after that big .25 Hollow Cavity comes out. Due to the relatively low velocity of the .45 ACP 230 gr, I am expecting to use a relatively soft alloy in order to get good expansion. I am afraid of deforming the nose during seating. Does anyone have any experience with this mold, or similar molds.

I can't really say I have any particular use for this boolit in mind, just seems like a fun toy to have.

I accidentally posted this over in "Maintenance and Design"...oops!

Possum Lickaa
07-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Nevermind... Got my info in maintenance.
Thx

HiVelocity
07-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Possum, for what its worth, I owned both the large cavity and the small cavity of this mold. I tried the large cavity first, my concern was that the HP cavity was too large. The petals broke off while penetrating through water filled milk jugs. I ended up selling the large cavity mold and kept the small cavity. Hope this helps. BTW, the large cavity I shot were water dropped, not air cooled. Not sure if it makes a difference.

HV

GSaltzman
07-07-2016, 09:11 PM
I have both the large and small hp molds. I have tested the small hp by shooting into a 55 gallon drum full of water from an elevated stand. Cast from 50/50 they expanded very well. Very accurate with 8.0 grains of HS6. Will be testing the large hp version soon.