PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Old Army and a Twelve year old boy

Chill Wills
07-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Just need to tell it -
On the 4th of July with about one hour of good light left my boy and I went out and shot the Ruger Old Army. It was his first time shooting anything other than 22RF's. With the low evening light, the base drum boom and with the muzzle blast and CB gap flash, it really was a special 240th USA Celebration for us! His eyes were big like a kid gets when they have experienced something fun and out of the normal. He is hooked! We will be shooting it a lot more now that he is big enough to handle it.

petroid
07-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Great story! Who had more fun?

SSGOldfart
07-06-2016, 11:27 PM
I see your in the market for a Ruger Old Army,it would make a nice Christmas present for him,just adding a ideal. You planted the seed did you get any pictures??:groner:

trails4u
07-06-2016, 11:34 PM
Now that's celebrating the grand ole' USA properly! Good on you, my friend!!

Chill Wills
07-06-2016, 11:47 PM
I'm not sure I know who had more fun - we both were well pleased with the evening.

No, I did not get a picture. That would have been good! I was standing close behind him and a little left and maybe being a little too much of a Papa bear. He did fine but I thought I needed to be close and focused so no picture.

He is not real big for his age. I was a late grower too.

rodwha
07-07-2016, 04:12 AM
Nice to hear you took him out and got him hooked at a young age. He certainly won't forget that evening! Ever!

Boz330
07-07-2016, 08:06 AM
I'm not sure I know who had more fun - we both were well pleased with the evening.

No, I did not get a picture. That would have been good! I was standing close behind him and a little left and maybe being a little too much of a Papa bear. He did fine but I thought I needed to be close and focused so no picture.

He is not real big for his age. I was a late grower too.

Mike, how is he doing with that little Roller?

Bob

smoked turkey
07-07-2016, 11:03 PM
That is a special event in itself. That brings to mind the old saying "A man never stands quite so tall as when he stoops to help a boy". You did good.

Squeeze
07-08-2016, 10:42 AM
These are the memories I remember best from growing up. I'm sure he will too. Been wanting a R.O.A. myself for a while.

Chill Wills
07-08-2016, 10:57 PM
Mike, how is he doing with that little Roller? Bob

He has the bug. We just had to go out again today and shoot some more!
Bob, thanks for asking about the Rolling Block. He shoots that rifle a lot. It is small enough it is one of the few we have that fits him. It has the rear tang sight we got from you and it is great for accuracy as well as teaches him to shoot Iron sights and not rely on scopes for everything. He is getting good. Not showing me up yet.... but close - I may have to bend his barrel. :mrgreen:171871171872171873

Boz330
07-11-2016, 11:08 AM
He has the bug. We just had to go out again today and shoot some more!
Bob, thanks for asking about the Rolling Block. He shoots that rifle a lot. It is small enough it is one of the few we have that fits him. It has the rear tang sight we got from you and it is great for accuracy as well as teaches him to shoot Iron sights and not rely on scopes for everything. He is getting good. Not showing me up yet.... but close - I may have to bend his barrel. :mrgreen:171871171872171873

I don't have any kids of my own but started my Godson shooting and hunting when he was 10. He was Junior state pistol champ 4 years running till he got too old. Then he discovered girls and cars.
He has kids of his own now. A couple years ago I took him out for a silhouette match. The following Friday he bought a Pedersoli Sharps. His first match after that he cleaned the pig line. We shoot Pigs and Rams on chains, 20 rounds each. Took me 3 years before I did that. I use to think the kid was exceptionally lucky since he practices very little, but I've come to realize that he is just good, and he still has good eyes.
That ROA looks like a handful for your son but he is sure game.

Bob

Chill Wills
07-13-2016, 12:54 AM
Man! Round balls are easy and a joy to cast. We ran our self out of RB's and it had been some years since I cast for the ROA. I dug around in the little used mold box and heated up the single cavity Lyman mold and pot of 100%Pb.

Those little round balls just kept coming out perfect. I did not want to stop! Now that he is hooked we will need to keep the mold handy.

Bob - not much recoil for him on this heavy revolver as loaded but you are right, just holding it is a handful for him but this last year he has grown enough he can handle it safely.