PDA

View Full Version : Lyman casting pot

nsdread07
07-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Has anyone used the Lyman Big dipper casting furnace? I have one new in box and haven't had the chance to use it. I was wondering if there were any problems or quirks that I sure be aware of. I used to cast with a Lee 10 pound pot but got tired of the constant drip.

RWR
07-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Has anyone used the Lyman Big dipper casting furnace? I have one new in box and haven't had the chance to use it. I was wondering if there were any problems or quirks that I sure be aware of. I used to cast with a Lee 10 pound pot but got tired of the constant drip.

I Got a MAG-20 in Nov 2009 for my retirement. Set in my basement until June 16 and didn't work. Lyman won't stand behind it.
Out of warranty an don't have parts to fix it. Offered $150 in Lyman products. So check that it works. The pot has never been heated so was not checked at the factory before shipment. Says they check before shipping in the instruction guide. This one sure wasn't. Would not recommend buying Lyman.

edwin41
07-22-2016, 05:55 PM
hello , I have been using the lyman big dipper furnace for some 5 years now , all of my castings come from this furnace as it is the only one I have.
I am very pleased with this set up , always works excellent , temp control is good and overall build quality very good .
casting with a ladle is somewhat slower than the lee with the valve types but in my opinion one can produce a better bullet with a ladle because of gravity helping with the fill out of the mould .

HangFireW8
07-26-2016, 09:27 PM
I Got a MAG-20 in Nov 2009 for my retirement. Set in my basement until June 16 and didn't work. Lyman won't stand behind it.
Out of warranty an don't have parts to fix it. Offered $150 in Lyman products. So check that it works. The pot has never been heated so was not checked at the factory before shipment. Says they check before shipping in the instruction guide. This one sure wasn't. Would not recommend buying Lyman.

You post this text in every thread about Lyman pots. Is that all you are here for? Are you even a caster?

WALLNUTT
07-26-2016, 10:31 PM
I had a lyman XX. It burned out after only 30yrs of hard use.

trapper9260
07-27-2016, 07:06 AM
I have a Lyman big dipper and for what I use for ,it works for me and I also have a lee 10lbs also and had to change the heat element.They both work for me for what I do. As for the dripping on the lee.I just have something under it to catch the alloy. Also if there is any junk that is in your mix will also clog the end up some. i use a small wire to clean it.

stinjie
07-27-2016, 09:33 PM
3 years since mine fell from the bench to the concrete floor,it still works great.

Ken in Iowa
07-27-2016, 10:42 PM
I have been using a Big Dipper for a couple of years.

I did need to recalibrate the control. It's easy enough to do. There is a good thread on it somewhere.

So RWR, did you take advantage of the $150 in Lyman products?