PDA

View Full Version : Question for the smith guys

snoopy
07-05-2016, 01:42 PM
In another thread recently, I bought the wife a new to us 640 for edc. Well, she has decided to trade me her 19-2 6in 357 for it. Now, it has some surface rust that is coming off just fine with an oily piece of 0000 steel wool, and some normal holster bluing wear. It is incredibly accurate and has the greatest trigger on any revolver I have ever shot, including a python. I'm wondering if it would be worthwile to have it reblued, in terms of monetary value I'm sure of it. But I do like to shoot and it really seems to have some character the way it is. Opinions? No safe queens here.

runfiverun
07-05-2016, 01:47 PM
to me.
Rust = repair.
honest wear = leave it alone.

Preacher Jim
07-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Shoot it enjoy it

M-Tecs
07-05-2016, 01:50 PM
Unless heavily pitted I tend not to recommend rebluing. Polishing is the expensive part of bluing. On a buffing wheel you get waves and rounding. Hand polished is preferred but its not cheap. Some areas can be touched up with cold blue.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Photos would help us make a good decision.

ReloaderFred
07-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Honest wear shows good character. I carried a 6" Model 19-2 as my duty weapon for a number of years before I went to a 6" Model 57. I still have both revolvers.

My advice is to shoot it as is, once the light rust is removed. You can also use stainless steel wool to remove light rust, and it won't attack the bluing.

Hope this helps.

Fred

azrednek
07-05-2016, 02:04 PM
If it would make you feel better, re-blue it and buy grips you like. Your Model 19 as an investment and future collector piece is not that good if there is already damage.

Dan Cash
07-05-2016, 02:07 PM
I would not even remove the rust. Oil it holster it in a leather holster and practice. Enough times in and out of the holster, the rust and bluing will go away leaving a silvery bluish white surface that is quite handsome and you will be an expert at drawing and firing your revolver. Hopefully you achieve some accuracy too.

snoopy
07-05-2016, 02:31 PM
171618 Sorry its upside down

TenTea
07-05-2016, 03:03 PM
I vote: leave her be and enjoy it as is.

Hickok
07-05-2016, 03:06 PM
This is the story of how I came upon my Model 19 with a 4 inch barrel years ago.

Dropped into a local gunshop, and there the Model 19 was in the display case. Owner was asking $200. I grabbed it. Said it was traded in by a policeman for a 9mm semi, and that he also traded in a S&W .38 Special with a 4 inch barrel, but someone had bought it. (Dang it)

Mine has some holster wear, perfect bore, no gas cutting on the top strap, and the right side of the wooden handgrips were dinged up a bit from holster carry. Shoots beautifully.

I thought it would nice to send it to S&W and have it reblued by them. They wanted more than I paid for the revolver to reblue it!

Touched it up with some Brownell's Ox-pho blue, put a new set of Hogue wooden grips on it, and happy, happy, happy!

DerekP Houston
07-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Im firmly in the shooter camp, I'd clean the rust off apply a preventive but not bother with reblueing it. These are tools meant to be used as such, I love the holster wear on my favorite trade in, shows a detective out there somewhere rode with it on a regular basis. Unless it affects the shoot-ability of it I leave em alone.

Outpost75
07-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Only way I would consider a reblue would be if you returned it to the S&W factory for inspection, repair and complete refurbishment. I once had this done to a 6" M19 which I owned, which I had factory round butted, refitted with a new 4" barrel and had lanyard loop fitted in the custom shop. They did a great job and I had the factory invoice for the work, so that when I did eventually sell the gun, I got top dolar for it.

I don't know if they do this type of work anymore, but back in the days Chuck Grondalski and Archie Dubia ran the service dept. They would. Archie did the work on Bill Jordan's guns.

Mk42gunner
07-05-2016, 03:21 PM
If the right side looks like the left side, I would just clean it up and shoot the snot out of it.

S&W made enough Model 19's that I highly doubt you will ever loose big bucks by refinishing this particular one; but a used gun has character.

Robert

DerekP Houston
07-05-2016, 03:34 PM
Only way I would consider a reblue would be if you returned it to the S&W factory for inspection, repair and complete refurbishment. I once had this done to a 6" M19 which I owned, which I had factory round butted, refitted with a new 4" barrel and had lanyard loop fitted in the custom shop. They did a great job and I had the factory invoice for the work, so that when I did eventually sell the gun, I got top dollar for it.

Are the new S&W employees the same as the quality guys that made my "antique" revolvers? That would be the only method I personally would go. In which case you make a fine point, I think someone mentioned above they wanted more than the value of the gun though to do this.

Outpost75
07-05-2016, 03:52 PM
When I returned mine in the 1980s the cost for a complete factory rebuild and refinish was $200 and customwork was limited to substitution of available factory parts.

DougGuy
07-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Post us some better pics snoopy. I'm thinking shoot it too and not worry about it.

snoopy
07-05-2016, 03:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll be putting the target grips back on. We changed them out for her.

snoopy
07-05-2016, 03:56 PM
I'll try some more pics later, have to goto work

bedbugbilly
07-05-2016, 08:48 PM
I have a number of vintage Smiths and all have "character" . . . i.e. "good honest wear". Personally, I have no problems buying and using a Smith with good honest wear. Re-blue? I don't have any and I usually walk right on past 'em. Usually, they are over polished, rounded and even the markings sometimes faint due to it. I want a revolver with a "history" . . . if it's "pristine" and all original - all the better but I don't believe any of mine are.

In the end - it's up to you though. Shoot it and enjoy it.

rintinglen
07-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Ya reblue, ya use it, it gets worn all over again.I toyed with the idea of getting my Python reblued, but I doubt that it would make it shoot any better.

earplug
07-05-2016, 09:11 PM
I have a couple of electroless nickle revolvers and pistols. For your situation it would be ideal. My son has a electroless Nickle S&W Model 14 that looks great.

RKJ
07-05-2016, 10:18 PM
I've got a M28 that I had to re-blue with Brownells Ox pho-blue and (to me) it looks much better. It bugs me to see worn spots on any gun so I'm in the DIY re-blue camp. Your gun looks like it just needs some touch-up though, and that's what I would do. Oh, and get rid of those Pachmayrs, But you already did.

Virginia John
07-06-2016, 02:11 PM
If you are upset over the way it looks, send her to me. I do pawn shop rescues and know how to take care of her.

2ndAmendmentNut
07-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Another vote for leave it as is. In the end though it is your gun and your choice. If you do want it refinished I can highly recommend Ford's refinishing located in FL. Splurge for the master blue and you won't be disappointed.

smoked turkey
07-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Looks like a very nice old Smith with a pinned barrel. It just begs to be shot. It is totally up to you but if it were me I'd keep it wiped down and shoot it just the way it is.

snoopy
07-19-2016, 01:22 PM
She cleaned up real nice, so just gonna shoot and enjoy. Thanks everyone.