PDA

View Full Version : NEI .45 Collar Button boolit

Wayne Smith
05-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Has anyone experience loading the little 150gr Collar Button. I thought it might be fun to play with out of my Encore Katadin. There may be a Winnie 45-90 in my future, also. That's something of a long shot, though.

I believe that the bollit was originally designed for gallery shooting. Anyone know how it was loaded? Surely not a case full of 2F!

45 2.1
05-21-2008, 08:13 AM
I believe that the bollit was originally designed for gallery shooting. Anyone know how it was loaded? Surely not a case full of 2F!

Older Lyman manuals list 5 gr. of Unique. Wolfs book lists a minimal charge of BP, somewhere around 12 gr. if I remember right. Lyman produced a limited run of this mold some time ago and had it going over 1800 fps for most loads. I like around 4 gr. of WW231 loaded with a meat tray wad over the powder, not on it, myself.

NickSS
05-21-2008, 01:06 PM
I have never used one but have used hundreds of round balls that cast out at .457". I lube them with LLA and push them down on top of the powder in an unsized case. Mostly I use about 5 gr of Red Dot or 10 gr of FFFG powder. Works great for plinking in the back yard. The sound like a 22LR and hit harder. I have also bagged some small game with this load.

Wayne Smith
05-21-2008, 04:23 PM
I like the collar button cause it has a lube groove.

45 2.1 - do you use filler or load it down into the case with those loads? I'd be comfortable with a limited FFG load and drop the wad and boolit down on top of it, I think. Just like the round ball load.